Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Supporting Member

Rank the BE Coaches

With the news yesterday about DePaul, I thought this would be fun to revisit. As I type out this list, I realize that this conference imo now has the best stable of coaches top to bottom. To me, this is an extremely hard thing to rank. Outside of Neptune, they are all pretty awesome.

1. Hurley
    2. Pitino
    3. Miller
    4. McDermott
    5. Smart
    6. English
    7. Cooley
    8. Holloway
    9. Matta
    10. Holtmann
    11. Neptune

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Off the top of my head I would go:

Hurley
    Pitino
    Miller
    McDermott
    Shaka
    Cooley
    English
    Holloway
    Holtmann
    Matta
    Neptune

Very deep stable of coaches as you said.

Obviously this list is not ranking most accomplished careers but kind of how I see it currently in this moment. English and Holloway are still pretty early and tough to judge completely.

I could be easily convinced to change up a lot of my order I am sure. I feel confident listing Hurley number 1 right now and Neptune last. The two I could most easily swap positions are Shaka and McDermott. I thujnk both are really good but decided to put McDermott slightly ahead.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

2 Ex-Providence coaches
    2 Ex-Xavier coaches (1 that returned of course...)
    2 Ex-Ohio State coaches
    2 Ex-Butler coaches

1 of these is a coach that is an ex-Butler, Xavier, and Ohio State coach with a beaknose.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Hard to put miller in front of McDermott and Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Hard to put miller in front of McDermott and Smart.
    Not really.

McDermott has been past the 1st weekend of the tournament twice in 24 years as a D1 head coach.

Shaka has 1 tourney win in the last 10 years.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Which obviously means Miller had more tourney wins last year than Shaka has had in the last decade, lol.

Shaka has been good at Marquette but they really need to show up in the tournament this year. Marquette has 1 tourney win since the formation of the new big east.

Junior
    Obviously this is current coaches and not historical. Pitino would be far and away the best. Still a great coach, just ranking these as if I could pick to coach X for the next 5 years
    Hurley
    2. Miller
    3. McDermott
    4. Smart
    5. Pitino
    6. Matta
    7. Cooley
    8. Holloway
    9. English
    10. Holtman
    11. Neptune

I want to see what English can do after Carter leaves. Smart is tricky because he was awful at Texas. McDermott has had a few different teams/runs, and I always enjoy his teams style. But he has a ton of March meltdowns, last year was his first elite 8 which is rough. But can see them making a run this year, too.
    Last edited by Xavier; 03-15-2024 at 10:06 AM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Obviously this is current coaches and not historical. Pitino would be far and away the best. Still a great coach, just ranking these as if I could pick to coach X for the next 5 years
    Hurley
    2. Miller
    3. McDermott
    4. Smart
    5. Pitino
    6. Matta
    7. Cooley
    8. Holloway
    9. English
    10. Holtman
    11. Neptune

I want to see what English can do after Carter leaves. Smart is tricky because he was awful at Texas. McDermott has had a few different teams/runs, and I always enjoy his teams style. But he has a ton of March meltdowns, last year was his first elite 8 which is rough. But can see them making a run this year, too.
    Yeah good point about Present/Future vs historical.

With Mcdermott and Creighton this year, I see either a first round flame out or a final four, with zero in between. That first round matchup is going to be interesting...if its someone that will dirty it up and play tough d , I think its flame out city.

Pitino is obviously historically great. I wouldn’t want him over Miller but he can clearly still coach. Impressive getting St. John’s to the tourney this year.

Sophomore
    I'd put Mcdermott and smart 2-3, miller 4 and pitino 5 or switch them but agree I wouldn't want pitino over Miller
    Last edited by xuwillie; 03-15-2024 at 11:02 AM.