Page 64 of 172 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Well yeah.

It's not much different than small/large market baseball. More people = more money to go around.

That's why the small market (private schools) teams have to be more strategic with their money and focus more on the development of their HS recruits.
    Ok, but won’t they just leave for the money? That’s the problem. Developing players is no longer a viable way to build a championship roster, unless you have the money to go with it.

Somebody brought up baseball.

Imagine if rookies just became free agents with no salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Ok, but won’t they just leave for the money? That’s the problem. Developing players is no longer a viable way to build a championship roster, unless you have the money to go with it.

I guess if the players want to be pros, we can have a draft and assign the players to the college that drafts them.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

If you're a small private team, what other choices do you have?

Call me skeptical, but I don't think Xavier will be very successful crowd-sourcing $3-4M every single year. You just have to hope your players believe in the developmental efforts you've put into them. Tough spot, for sure.

It's why I've been saying the NIL era is going to be very tough for schools like X.

IMO, planting a developmental seed in players early is a far better path than trying to keep up with the Jones' every year. I just don't think the pockets will be deep enough for that to be sustainable over the long-term. The city and alumni base isn't lined with billionaires.
    Last edited by drudy23; 04-01-2024 at 04:11 PM.

If you're a small private team, what other choices do you have?

Call me skeptical, but I don't think Xavier will be very successful crowd-sourcing $3-4M every single year. You just have to hope your players believe in the developmental efforts you've put into them. Tough spot, for sure.

It's why I've been saying the NIL era is going to be very tough for schools like X.

IMO, planting a developmental seed in players early is a far better path than trying to keep up with the Jones' every year. I just don't think the pockets will be deep enough for that to be sustainable over the long-term. The city and alumni base isn't lined with billionaires.
    I agree 100%, and you could see this coming from a hundred miles away.

I don’t think it’s viable to ask a kid to forego a big NIL payout for the opportunity to develop them. Because the teams with the big NIL can offer development too. It’s not a trade off. They can have it both ways

All-Conference
    I just find it hard to believe they'll be able to sustain $2-4M per year in NIL. Maybe I'm wrong - but it seems unlikely.

It's year one, and it seems it's already tough.

Supporting Member
    X can develop while paying these guys money. Geezus some of you act like we are west Carolina tech valley state

Supporting Member
    I just find it hard to believe they'll be able to sustain $2-4M per year in NIL. Maybe I'm wrong - but it seems unlikely.

It's year one, and it seems it's already tough.
    It’s year 4

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    It’s year 4
    It’s 2-4 million now. Who is to say it’s not 4-8+ million in 5 years. Hopefully Congress steps in but I highly doubt it.

NM.
    Last edited by Strange Brew; 04-01-2024 at 08:50 PM.
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

I am in the "it's bad for the sport" group think.

The lack of transparency is really irritating. Are these NIL $$$ deals ever going to be more widely known to the public. One would think legal contracts will be necessary. If so, those terms are usually made public in professional sports.

Or will it be more corporate leaning....like the common policy of never discuss "salaries" with the other "employees"?
    Last edited by Xuperman; 04-01-2024 at 10:41 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club