Page 87 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I’d have to think that Avila who is 6’10 240 and shoots near 40% from 3 and passes like the big stain, could command a pretty big nil number. I’d think slu could be outbid on the open market, that’s all I’m saying. Avila also said on maybe svp’s show, can’t remember but said something about there being more important things than money.
    I get that, but I suspect the “do not contact” status does not preclude anyone from making NIL offers to that player. I also suspect SLU can muster up enough NIL cash for a single player, especially an impact player that could help generate excitement around the new coaching hire. I’m sure Avila’s NIL package will be a competitive one, whether he ends up at SLU or not. I mean, is Schertz really asking him to take a shitty NIL deal and leabve behind the comfort of his teammates, friends, fans, girlfriend/boyfriend— all so he can play at… (checks notes)… SLU? If so, I’d say that kid needs to find some better *relationships*; perhaps with a coach who gives a damn about his best interests.

Anyway, I doubt Schertz is that much of an A-hole, and I’m sure Avila will do just fine. His game does have personality cachet, so maybe he has real NIL opportunities that render the pay-for-play NIL less relevant.

I do feel for Sycamore fans. They have an (almost) dream season, then their coach moves on and all five starters bolt for the portal. — “Sorry you didn’t make the tourney. Better luck next time!” — Oh well, I’m sure their new coach will do a bang-up job backfilling with D-2 transfers; maybe some NAIA studs.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    My guess is that he'd be a rotational player if it is UCONN, but the other thing to consider is he would be going from Neptune to Hurley.
    Your second point may be the most important one. Hurley would clearly get the most out of him, but man, Nova’s gotta get rid of that guy. Did they learn nothing from our Steele experiment?
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    Your second point may be the most important one. Hurley would clearly get the most out of him, but man, Nova’s gotta get rid of that guy. Did they learn nothing from our Steele experiment?
    I get the point that Hurley can get the most out of someone, but wouldn't Hurley still want to focus on guys that have all the tools? Why take a one dimensional guy and try to build his skillset to solid across the board when you can take a dude like Newton and turn him into an All-American.

Supporting Member
    Probably getting ahead of ourselves, just a rumor for now. My guess he would be a rotational player and if Hurley does take him, I’m not questioning anything he’s doing at this point.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    I get that, but I suspect the “do not contact” status does not preclude anyone from making NIL offers to that player. I also suspect SLU can muster up enough NIL cash for a single player, especially an impact player that could help generate excitement around the new coaching hire. I’m sure Avila’s NIL package will be a competitive one, whether he ends up at SLU or not. I mean, is Schertz really asking him to take a shitty NIL deal and leabve behind the comfort of his teammates, friends, fans, girlfriend/boyfriend— all so he can play at… (checks notes)… SLU? If so, I’d say that kid needs to find some better *relationships*; perhaps with a coach who gives a damn about his best interests.

Anyway, I doubt Schertz is that much of an A-hole, and I’m sure Avila will do just fine. His game does have personality cachet, so maybe he has real NIL opportunities that render the pay-for-play NIL less relevant.
    This whole part of your post is ridiculous.

Now players who want to play for a specific coach and aren't most concerned about making the most money are in relationships with asshole coaches who should be telling them to go elsewhere? Huh? Not sure I am following your logic. Seems like your are reaching to try and make a move fit your agenda.

Also, he will probably play with more current teammates at SLU than if he was staying at ISU.

Strange post.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I get the point that Hurley can get the most out of someone, but wouldn't Hurley still want to focus on guys that have all the tools? Why take a one dimensional guy and try to build his skillset to solid across the board when you can take a dude like Newton and turn him into an All-American.
    Perhaps he sees him not as one dimensional but poorly coached, similar to a Jerome Hunter situation? Who knows, but again, possible UConn isnt interested anyway.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    This whole part of your post is ridiculous.

Now players who want to play for a specific coach and aren't most concerned about making the most money are in relationships with asshole coaches who should be telling them to go elsewhere? Huh? Not sure I am following your logic. Seems like your are reaching to try and make a move fit your agenda.

Also, he will probably play with more current teammates at SLU than if he was staying at ISU.

Strange post.
    "Hey coach, congrats on your new job, I am really happy for you, and actually if you'll have me I would love to keep playing for you."

"But Cream, I can find some NIL money for you but you'll be leaving a lot on the table."

"Coach, I what is most important to me is playing for a coach I know and have a great relationship with, and one that understands my game and can help me develop it."

"Can't do it Cream, I'm not that big of an asshole. Good luck at (fill in the blank) P5 program."

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    "Hey coach, congrats on your new job, I am really happy for you, and actually if you'll have me I would love to keep playing for you."

"But Cream, I can find some NIL money for you but you'll be leaving a lot on the table."

"Coach, I what is most important to me is playing for a coach I know and have a great relationship with, and one that understands my game and can help me develop it."

"Can't do it Cream, I'm not that big of an asshole. Good luck at (fill in the blank) P5 program."
    Im a little lost about this whole back and forth.

There are several distinct scenarios out there. There is one scenario where a kid decides to enter the portal, and then we speculate on whether he's looking for the best NIL, or find that perfect relationship, or play for a blueblood, or close to home, or play for a winner etc. Izzo says the first question he is asked is about NIL. My opinion is that MOST of the kids prioritize money over all else, but of course it's not an ABSOLUTE situation. Its not that ALL kids will ALWAYS take a higher NIL over a lower NIL under any circumstances. But I guarantee when these decisions get made and a kid has to decide on his next school, NIL is in the mix and likely is the most heavily weighted "criteria." 2 equal offers where NIL is the tiebreaker will be a HEAVY lean to the Money.

with THAT said, this situation with Avila seems to be different. He didnt enter the portal until AFTER his coach left. You could argue that his relationship with the coach is a reason why he wouldn't have entered the portal in the first place. I fully agree that relationships may be a reason NOT to enter the portal. We've never discussed that. We've just discussed the players that were actually IN the portal. SO my theory is that Avila stays at ISU if the coach had stayed. And then by extension, logic suggests that his entering the portal was done solely to follow his coach. I dont see this as an NIL vs Relationship scenario.

Apples and Oranges here.

Sophomore

There are several distinct scenarios out there. There is one scenario where a kid decides to enter the portal, and then we speculate on whether he's looking for the best NIL, or find that perfect relationship, or play for a blueblood, or close to home, or play for a winner etc. Izzo says the first question he is asked is about NIL. My opinion is that MOST of the kids prioritize money over all else, but of course it's not an ABSOLUTE situation. Its not that ALL kids will ALWAYS take a higher NIL over a lower NIL under any circumstances. But I guarantee when these decisions get made and a kid has to decide on his next school, NIL is in the mix and likely is the most heavily weighted "criteria." 2 equal offers where NIL is the tiebreaker will be a HEAVY lean to the Money.

with THAT said, this situation with Avila seems to be different. He didnt enter the portal until AFTER his coach left. You could argue that his relationship with the coach is a reason why he wouldn't have entered the portal in the first place. I fully agree that relationships may be a reason NOT to enter the portal. We've never discussed that. We've just discussed the players that were actually IN the portal. SO my theory is that Avila stays at ISU if the coach had stayed. And then by extension, logic suggests that his entering the portal was done solely to follow his coach. I dont see this as an NIL vs Relationship scenario.

Apples and Oranges here.
    Xavier has reached out to the Mongolian Mike sharavjamts who is a transfer from USF. Think our PA announcer may struggle with this name if he hits back to back 3s for us.

Apples and Oranges here.
    1. Nothing I wrote has anything to do with you or any of your opinions. I was responding to someone else's very specific post and has nothing to do with you.

2. Avila couldn't have left before his coach left (unless he wanted to leave during their NIT run).