Page 142 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1731
    Quote Originally Posted by profson View Post
    Another consequence of the new reality is that the top tier of teams will get better than in the near past and thus you need to get better just to stand still. There are several reasons for this:

- fewer players who are not sure fire NBA picks will risk declaring for the draft when they still have eligibility and can command significant NIL
    - the same applies all the more to those who would otherwise go the G League
    - the acceleration of top non P5 players going to the top programs with large NIL budgets, without the downside of sitting a year

Thus each year teams with the biggest NIL budgets can more easily stock top players at every position, who will also be old. This is very different from Calipari attracting a bunch of freshmen 5 stars.
    YUP. This was foreseeable before it started happening. just the change in the rules themselves led to the ability to predict these changes in behaviors.

Now, these changes are observable as people in fact have modified their behavior in just the way you described it.

Junior
    Yeah. Tell that to Kansas…worst year ever under Self. Didn’t UNC miss the tournament last year? Kentucky gladly let Cal walk after another disappointing flame out. Are these the top tier teams that continue to separate themselves?

Supporting Member
    All nil has done is create more parity across the landscape. Now instead of just the bluebloods and a few other teams paying players, now everyone does it.

Paying the most for players guarantees zero.

Also, teams aren’t ever going to be this old anymore. The Covid year crap ends this upcoming year

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    All nil has done is create more parity across the landscape. Now instead of just the bluebloods and a few other teams paying players, now everyone does it.
    I stopped after this doozy. Parity? You are joking or high.

And I love the boogeyman argument about the big programs always paying players. Absolutely ZERO evidence that there was any systemic paying of players. Here and there, on occasion in certain situations? Sure. But this claim that it’s been rampart is just fiction

Supporting Member
    [QUOTE=MHettel;783283]I stopped after this doozy. Parity? You are joking or high.

And I love the boogeyman argument about the big programs always paying players. Absolutely ZERO evidence that there was any systemic paying of players. Here and there, on occasion in certain situations? Sure. But this claim that it’s been rampart is just fiction[/QUOTE

Yeah you’re right. Alabama and nc state have always been basketball powerhouses. There is a ton of parity across the p6 landscape and in college bb as a whole. Let’s continue to disregard two years ago.

There is no boogeyman argument. It’s been happening since wooden. be my guest about sticking your head in the sand the laat fifty years. Your choice I guess. I guess painter has no clue what he’s talking about… only been a coach for a few decades
    Last edited by Xville; 04-24-2024 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

And I love the boogeyman argument about the big programs always paying players. Absolutely ZERO evidence that there was any systemic paying of players. Here and there, on occasion in certain situations? Sure. But this claim that it’s been rampart is just fiction
    John Wooden was really that much better as a coach than the other guys.

You want “evidence” for what is common knowledge and former players even joke about now.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    John Wooden was really that much better as a coach than the other guys.

You want “evidence” for what is common knowledge and former players even joke about now.
    I bet rex Chapman was the only player that ever got paid at Kentucky. Booster decided he was the only one in the history of Kentucky that deserved some cash

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Yeah. Tell that to Kansas…worst year ever under Self. Didn’t UNC miss the tournament last year? Kentucky gladly let Cal walk after another disappointing flame out. Are these the top tier teams that continue to separate themselves?
    Lol we go through the same argument disproving their irrational fears every couple weeks. This is like the twilight zone.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

I posted in here or another thread the final 4 teams since nil/portal and the few years before. It supports xvilles assertion, not yours.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Lol we go through the same argument disproving their irrational fears every couple weeks. This is like the twilight zone.

Just last year SDST played for a NC. FAU was in the final four all while UNC missed the tournament. Follow that up with Kansas worst year under Self. Duke losing most its team to the portal (after finishing 2nd in the ACC) and Kentucky fans rejoicing Cal leaving….I guess that’s a true sign the blue bloods are separating themselves even more?