Page 39 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Ok, I'll bite.

yes, Foster shot 36% as a soph and 35% as a junior. Thats it. end of story. No need to dig any further....

As a soph, Furman as a TEAM took 1054 3 pointers. 31 a game! Most in the Country. Foster was tied for 5th on the team with 81 total. he played 805 minutes of the teams 6950 total minutes (11.6%). But took only 81 of 1054 (7.7%) of the 3 pointers? Thats odd. In fact the TEAM collectively took .152 3 attempts per minutes played, and yet Foster took .101 attempts per minute. So he shot 3 pointers at a rate that was only 2/3rds the frequency of the rest of the team. Why is that? Was he not confident in his shot? Was the COACH not confident in his shot? Was he just never open? I dotn know the answer, but I DO KNOW that its interesting.

As a Junior.... He played 14.5% of the minutes and took....18.2% of the 3's. On a per minute rate, he was at .17 and the team was at .135. So last year he was taking his share of 3's and in fact was #2 on the team in attempts and makes. looking solid. To go a little further, 58% of his shots were from 3. I might have seen these stats and assumed we just recruited Nate Johnson.

And this last year..... he played 11.2% of the minutes and took 16.7% of the 3's. On a per minute rate, he was at .221 while the team was at .147. So now he's taking a dis proportionally high number of the shots. And he shot 29.7% while the rest of the team shot 32.9%.

So who knows? He certainly found the confidence to take more shots, but his percentage really suffered this year. If he was in the high 30s this year, I'd be singing a different tune. So which guy is he? The guy at 30% or the guy at 35%. Makes a huge difference.

btw, he led the team in total rebounds by 42 and only played in 24 of 33 games.
    Apparently his team ran a ton of action for him to shoot threes so the coach had confidence in his shooting ability.

I think Miller wants us to be more the team of last year than this year in terms of 3 point attempts, so maybe fewer attempts, more selective attempts, will help his %'s be more in the mid to high 30's than the high 29's to low 30's.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Foster per Xpectation:
    His 24.2% Defensive Rebounding percentage (DR%) is truly elite, even for a beast 5 man.

Nunge's DR% was 18.8% in his last season at X. Edey is 25.3%.
    yeah, I was looking into that. In terms of most minutes played, their size was 6'1", 6'0", 6'4", 6'4" (Foster), 6'9", 6'5", 6'7", 6'6", 6'11, 6'6". So they ran a pretty small lineup out there and Foster probably had to defend a bigger guy most of the time....but yeah solid rebounding numbers.

If we can all be a little patient, I think we’ll soon see things are going to look a lot better.

While Sean was right about this season’s team being deeper than the previous season’s team, he found out that deep bench was filled with talent talent more like Edwards and less like like the level Dez ans Hunter were last year (coming off the bench). To make matters worse, there were starters this season who were far worse than our 1st and 2nd player of the bench.

Let’s remember that had Free and Hunter been able to play this year - We’d have had 5 starters averaging between 12 and 20 points per game. Abou would be coming off the the bench for 12 to 17 minutes and he probably would have been very solid for those 17 minutes.

It is very possible that X- with a healthy Freemantle and Hunter - would have beaten every team that did not make the tournament as well as Houston, Connecticut (and home) and Creighton (at home). It is also VERY LIKELY that X would have made the tournament

Next season I am confident we will see a team with

- Free and Hunter back on it playing at a very high level.
    - at least two bigs added from the portal with a higher upside than Abou had.
    - at least on 3 point threat added from the portal (like he did with Boum and Quincy the previous two years).
    - Foster playing better and scoring more points than any player who played season - not named Olivari, Claude or McNight.
    - Enough quality new pieces together with its returning players to have X finish in the top half of the BE and get an at large bid for the NCAA tournament.

We just need to be patient.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    If we can all be a little patient, I think we’ll soon see things are going to look a lot better.

While Sean was right about this season’s team being deeper than the previous season’s team, he found out that deep bench was filled with talent talent more like Edwards and less like like the level Dez ans Hunter were last year (coming off the bench). To make matters worse, there were starters this season who were far worse than our 1st and 2nd player of the bench.

Let’s remember that had Free and Hunter been able to play this year - We’d have had 5 starters averaging between 12 and 20 points per game. Abou would be coming off the the bench for 12 to 17 minutes and he probably would have been very solid for those 17 minutes.

It is very possible that X- with a healthy Freemantle and Hunter - would have beaten every team that did not make the tournament as well as Houston, Connecticut (and home) and Creighton (at home). It is also VERY LIKELY that X would have made the tournament

- at least on 3 point threat added from the portal (like he did with Boum and Quincy the previous two years).
    - Foster playing better and scoring more points than any player who played season - not named Olivari, Claude or McNight.
    - Enough quality new pieces together with its returning players to have X finish in the top half of the BE and get an at large bid for the NCAA tournament.

Patients and fandom don’t seem to go over that well. Even after the portal closes, we won’t know about the impact these new transfers will bring until the beginning of next season. I keep telling myself it can’t be worse than last year so I am excited to see who we get from the ports. I actually think Foster is a good piece coming into the program after looking at his stats and watching some tape on him. However, no one knows how he will transition from a mid major to BiG East competition.

Losing Free and Hunter sucked and hurt our season but Miller didn’t not replace Nunge with a starting 5 last offseason. Abou wasn’t the answer as a starter and Free isn’t a 5. No idea why Miller didn’t bring in a starting 5 last season. Miller seems to do wonders bringing in guards but struggles to bring in impactful front court players. Is it his system because it’s a head scratcher for sure.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Patients and fandom don’t seem to go over that well. Even after the portal closes, we won’t know about the impact these new transfers will bring until the beginning of next season. I keep telling myself it can’t be worse than last year so I am excited to see who we get from the ports. I actually think Foster is a good piece coming into the program after looking at his stats and watching some tape on him. However, no one knows how he will transition from a mid major to BiG East competition.

Losing Free and Hunter sucked and hurt our season but Miller didn’t not replace Nunge with a starting 5 last offseason. Abou wasn’t the answer as a starter and Free isn’t a 5. No idea why Miller didn’t bring in a starting 5 last season. Miller seems to do wonders bringing in guards but struggles to bring in impactful front court players. Is it his system because it’s a head scratcher for sure.
    It isn't his system as he had awesome 5's at Arizona.

There are just way fewer impact 5's than other positions. Just not as easy to find or get when you do find them. Hopefully he can find one this offseason.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post

I don’t see how we would have had 5 guys averaging 12-20 points with Free and Hunter. I don’t think either of them could start at the 5, because they would get murdered defensively. We would have been better, but just chalking up wins against Houston and UConn? Ok.

I also genuinely have no outlook for Hunter. He was cleared to play from the heart issue, but then he tore his Achilles, right? Isn’t that close to a year to recover from? He did that in what, January? Are we just assuming he will be available and playing like his old self? I seriously have no information either way, but wondering if people’s expectations are taking these facts into consideration

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    yeah, I was looking into that. In terms of most minutes played, their size was 6'1", 6'0", 6'4", 6'4" (Foster), 6'9", 6'5", 6'7", 6'6", 6'11, 6'6". So they ran a pretty small lineup out there and Foster probably had to defend a bigger guy most of the time....but yeah solid rebounding numbers.
    Couple items:
    1. Is everything with you stats?
    2. Ever go with your gut, or hear of the eye test?
    3. Should we tell Christopher to fire Sean and hire you because your numbers say Miller is barking up the wrong tree?
    4. Did you only take 120 hrs of statistics to get your degree?

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Couple items:
    1. Is everything with you stats?
    2. Ever go with your gut, or hear of the eye test?
    3. Should we tell Christopher to fire Sean and hire you because your numbers say Miller is barking up the wrong tree?
    4. Did you only take 120 hrs of statistics to get your degree?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes, while also looking at the stats
    3. No. We should keep Sean. I hope we rebound from this year and build a sustainable roster that keeps us in the top 25 into perpetuity and in the tournament annually. Within 5 years lets get a Final 4. Check back in a few years to assess where we are against these goals. I’ll share my perspective.
    4. I’ve never taken a stats class.

You probably weren’t looking for literal answers, I suppose.

But how can you NOT look into this? He’s a 6’4” guard and he averaged 7.5 rebounds a game. Like you just assume the circumstances are normal and he’s just able to rebound better than most forwards and many centers? There is no explanation for this incredible performance? You HAVE to look into this. It’s like a QB that played for Mike Leach. Yeah, they approach 5000 yards passing because they throw 55 times a game. Or dudes that crush 40 home runs while playing for the Rockies.

It’s not a knock on him. But his performance was largely impacted by the circumstances. He probably guarded bigger guys and played close to the basket defensively, putting him in a position to get a lot of defensive rebounds.
    Last edited by MHettel; 03-27-2024 at 10:28 PM.

FOSTER - 6'4" and 200 pounds

Player B - 6'5" and 190 pounds

FOSTER - Transferring in from Furman

Player B - Transferred in to his current team from East Carolina

FOSTER v Player B STATS: I mostly don't care, as they both came from lower level conferences under different coaches and with very different teams. Their stats were sufficient enough for each of their new coaches to zero in on them and pull them into their respective programs.

Player B is TRISTON NEWTON. Hurley didn't get Triston Newton from a blueblood or an upper tier P5 program. Hurley did his homework on the kid and determined that he could be an important piece of the UCONN team puzzle. Anyone care to argue that Newton has not been an integral part of UCONN's success the last two seasons?

PLAYER STATISTICS don't and can't always fully reflect a kid's heart and passion for the game and for his team, nor how he will fit into his new team, based on his new coach's designs for him. Prior stats do not automatically translate to what a kid's stats are going to be at his new location.

Oh, as I believe most level headed people here would agree, Sean Miller forgets in a day what any of us know about basketball at this level. I trust his judgement.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    FOSTER - 6'4" and 200 pounds

Player B - 6'5" and 190 pounds

FOSTER - Transferring in from Furman

Player B - Transferred in to his current team from East Carolina

FOSTER v Player B STATS: I mostly don't care, as they both came from lower level conferences under different coaches and with very different teams. Their stats were sufficient enough for each of their new coaches to zero in on them and pull them into their respective programs.

Player B is TRISTON NEWTON. Hurley didn't get Triston Newton from a blueblood or an upper tier P5 program. Hurley did his homework on the kid and determined that he could be an important piece of the UCONN team puzzle. Anyone care to argue that Newton has not been an integral part of UCONN's success the last two seasons?

PLAYER STATISTICS don't and can't always fully reflect a kid's heart and passion for the game and for his team, nor how he will fit into his new team, based on his new coach's designs for him. Prior stats do not automatically translate to what a kid's stats are going to be at his new location.

Oh, as I believe most level headed people here would agree, Sean Miller forgets in a day what any of us know about basketball at this level. I trust his judgement.
    Ok. Tristan Newton is 1 inch taller and 10 pounds lighter than Foster. Also the margin of error for height and weight is at least 1 inch and 10 pounds.whats the point?

He averaged 17/5/5 at ECU. I was going to do a big analysis of his performance or ECU, but this is all that needs to be said. Newton was a stud. He went to UConn and might just win 2 rings.

There is no "homework" involved when deciding to recruit Newton. 17/5/5 as a soph, and adding him to a loaded roster with top Freshmen coming in.

Really? Really? Cmon. Im not looking at the transfer rankings, but Newton was a stud and a no-brainer.

and I never said, and actually to the contrary, do i believe the best transfers will come from the Blue Bloods or big six teams. The best transfers are the Brian Grants, Davids Wests, James Poseys and Tu holloways out there that are better than their current level.

Honestly, reading your post again is cringy. Heart, Passion and Fit? Homework for Hurley? yeah, he must have scrolled at least to the 5th best guy on the transfer list to "find" newton.

Comparing their size?

It’s actually about the stats in his case
    Last edited by MHettel; 03-28-2024 at 01:17 AM.