Page 15 of 155 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    If McKnight and Green get the majority of the PG minutes and Des wants to show his PG chops to make him a better NBA prospect, this might be more of an incentive for him to fly than the $$$. He would forego present money for future NBA dollars.

I hope he stays but my knock on Des this year was not his statistical performance over the prior year, but his play when the game was on the line and that he really did not seem to progress much as the year went on. Just my perspective.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    There will always be exceptions to the "new rule". However, when "sit out a year" is no longer in play, 3-4 different schools for guys will be common.
    3-4 might be common but it won’t be the majority of kids. I predict that 2 will be most common. One factor that has also affected this is the Covid Year. Thousands of players got an extra year of eligibility but that goes away either this year or next. A lot of players stayed in college and have been doing graduate level courses at schools that offered a program their old school didn’t. Or just wanted a change of scene.

When we get back to 4 years of eligibility, to be used in 5 years, we might see less movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    IMO, this new college bball reality is a total shitshow. This "NIL" monicker is now an absolute joke. I see very little...if any, student athletes DOING ANYTHING for $$$.

This is simply pay for play. Name, Image, Likeness is basically non existent from what I can see.
    I’ve wondered the same thing. If the kids are getting paid six figures for their name, image, and likeness, you’d expect to see at least one of those three things all over the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    I’ve wondered the same thing. If the kids are getting paid six figures for their name, image, and likeness, you’d expect to see at least one of those three things all over the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Actually I think you see the player's name, image, and likeness in lots of places. For example, you go to a game and their image is on the floor, the announcer says their name every time they score or commit a foul. Same goes for watching a game on television. The image comes into view with ads like the Big East Tourney and appearing in XBox games.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Actually I think you see the player's name, image, and likeness in lots of places. For example, you go to a game and their image is on the floor, the announcer says their name every time they score or commit a foul. Same goes for watching a game on television. The image comes into view with ads like the Big East Tourney and appearing in XBox games.
    That is not the point. Of course the players are visible. But the pretend premise is their visibility is linked to the sponsor like when Jordan did Nike ads such that the sponsor reaps commercial value. When Des is on the floor is he identified or identifiable to the NiL sponsors. No. And appearing at a staged event or two is not intrinsically worth (say) 500k to the payor other than the desire for Des to play at X because the donors are X fans. It is precisely pay for play in the real world for the vast majority of cases and it is disingenuous to say otherwise.

Maybe the "sponsor" is Xavier...and the school reaps the benefit.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I don’t do all the social networks such as Snapchat, Instagram, etc. but millions of people do. I suspect that most here aren’t involved with them either. So we don’t see what goes on with those platforms. However, millions of people, especially much younger people, get much of their information from those platforms and while we might not see the NIL presences there the people on those platforms do. I’ve also seen a few local TV commercials have local college BB/football players in them and I’ve seen some local eating establishments and retail stores advertise college players as doing autograph sessions. I assume that the players involved in these things are being paid for their time and efforts as part of the NIL system. Endorsing products, services, and businesses is a large part of NIL revenue. If NFL/NBA/MLB stars are getting millions of dollars to endorse products, what is so strange about college stars getting thousands of dollars for doing the same? Just because we old farts don’t see it doesn’t mean it ain’t happening!

Quote Originally Posted by profson View Post
    That is not the point. Of course the players are visible. But the pretend premise is their visibility is linked to the sponsor like when Jordan did Nike ads such that the sponsor reaps commercial value. When Des is on the floor is he identified or identifiable to the NiL sponsors. No. And appearing at a staged event or two is not intrinsically worth (say) 500k to the payor other than the desire for Des to play at X because the donors are X fans. It is precisely pay for play in the real world for the vast majority of cases and it is disingenuous to say otherwise.
    If someone is willing to pay $500,000, they must think the player is worth it. I concur with Paul that X is the sponsor (benefactor) to keep the basketball program top notch. My post was just referring to the comment of not seeing name, image, and likeness. Also, I am very much against NIL in its current form. I see no problem with players getting incidental cash payments of $5-10K per year/semester. This should be a set amount across the board for all teams and all players.

Freshman
    If someone is willing to pay $500,000, they must think the player is worth it. I concur with Paul that X is the sponsor (benefactor) to keep the basketball program top notch. My post was just referring to the comment of not seeing name, image, and likeness. Also, I am very much against NIL in its current form. I see no problem with players getting incidental cash payments of $5-10K per year/semester. This should be a set amount across the board for all teams and all players.
    Xavier’s collective …the Final 2 % is not a true NIL-collective. The reason is it is a non profit. The players get paid large sums to spend an hour or two visiting “ the boys club”. For profit collectives which most of the large schools have ( though you can have both) are the ones where the athlete is actually compensated to promote through his name image and likeness a product or service. Tax experts were appalled the IRS approved these non profit collectives as a “ tax exempt entity. The IRS has awakened to the fact they are pay to play conduits and are reformulating their approvals. What does this mean? It means if and when they lose their tax exempt status donor tax deductions will be disallowed. Many tax experts have warned their large donor clients that the ruling could be retrospective which means they would have to amend their tax returns and pay income tax on the “ contribution” they deducted . While that is considered punitive it has been done if the charity has been flagrant in not adhering to a genuine charitable purpose. The question remains as to what “ chilling effect” future non deductibility would mean to the current level of contributions.

Also, I am very much against NIL in its current form. I see no problem with players getting incidental cash payments of $5-10K per year/semester. This should be a set amount across the board for all teams and all players.
    A) that restriction would never stand up in court…..restraint of free trade?

B) The only way to get to that is to have an athletes union and have a collective bargaining agreement. Do we really want players unions and all that brings with that?

C] if it was deemed legal how long would be before someone broke the rule and paid “under the table”?