Page 144 of 172 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1713
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Are you saying it is your belief that most of the NIL funds are coming from people who used to just donate to the schools general fund but have now stopped that in order to donate to NIL?

I would say that is very unlikely.

If anything, I would say people who want to donate to NIL but need to stop donating somewhere else, are probably stopping their donations that were going directly to the athletic dept (like the AFO) in order to donate to NIL.
    Maybe I misinterpreted it, but i thought that's what he was saying. Regardless, I think that is one of the concerns I have about this NIL stuff coming from fans.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Great question. Here's what's going to happen. Other sports are going to get cut unless they can be self sustaining. Net tuition amount overrides the expense to operate the sports program. It s inevitable. Goodbye to most tennis, volleyball, swimming, soccer, lacrosse programs etc.
    I think a lot of important people see that this is why the collective scheme isn't sustainable. At some point, hopefully sooner rather than later, the school is the one paying the players and that hopefully a few guardrails are put in place. Unfortunately, Congress is probably going to have to get involved, which means its going take longer and get more effed up than it should before things get to a suitable resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I think a lot of important people see that this is why the collective scheme isn't sustainable. At some point, hopefully sooner rather than later, the school is the one paying the players and that hopefully a few guardrails are put in place. Unfortunately, Congress is probably going to have to get involved, which means its going take longer and get more effed up than it should before things get to a suitable resolution.
    Where is the money that the schools are paying the athletes going to come from? I’m not saying that isn’t what is going to happen eventually, but I’m not sure that happening will solve anything. The money still has to come from somewhere.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Where is the money that the schools are paying the athletes going to come from? I’m not saying that isn’t what is going to happen eventually, but I’m not sure that happening will solve anything. The money still has to come from somewhere.
    The money is there, the people who make it though don't want to share it.

This is all leading to the athletes becoming paid employees by the schools, it is inevitable.

It's too bad the NCAA was so greedy and shit at adapting. Much more minor concessions years ago could have avoided some of the issues being faced today. NCAA will play the victim but has no one but themselves to blame.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Combination is what I envision....Revenue Sharing predominantly along with some kind of service free for tickets, merchandise etc etc. Yes, some of this will be coming from fans like ourselves, but it will be a usage "tax" which seems more appropriate to me.

I'd also envision some kind of a "salary cap" put in place so this doesn't spiral completely.

Combination is what I envision....Revenue Sharing predominantly along with some kind of service free for tickets, merchandise etc etc. Yes, some of this will be coming from fans like ourselves, but it will be a usage "tax" which seems more appropriate to me.

I'd also envision some kind of a "salary cap" put in place so this doesn't spiral completely.
    I don’t think that they will generate enough revenue if they rely on the attendees at the games to make up the bulk of it. There are thousands of fans around the country (and even nearby like myself) that don’t attend games other than occasionally. But many of us are willing to donate to a fund like the Final 2% instead of buying tickets to the games. I also really doubt that revenue sharing or a salary cap will ever take place.

Supporting Member
    I don’t think that they will generate enough revenue if they rely on the attendees at the games to make up the bulk of it. There are thousands of fans around the country (and even nearby like myself) that don’t attend games other than occasionally. But many of us are willing to donate to a fund like the Final 2% instead of buying tickets to the games. I also really doubt that revenue sharing or a salary cap will ever take place.
    I agree. The fans are not where the bulk of the money will come from. I disagree regarding revenue sharing. I think that's the only way any of this is sustainable. Schools and athletic departments have plenty of money, they just don't want to share it, but eventually I think they are going to have to.

I think the collectives will always play a part in the "high priced" guys, but not going to be the only source of nil funds which is about what it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    The money is there, the people who make it though don't want to share it.

This is all leading to the athletes becoming paid employees by the schools, it is inevitable.

It's too bad the NCAA was so greedy and shit at adapting. Much more minor concessions years ago could have avoided some of the issues being faced today. NCAA will play the victim but has no one but themselves to blame.
    Who would that be exactly? The NCAA?

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2016/5/1...-money-go.aspx

Supporting Member
    Who would that be exactly? The NCAA?

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2016/5/1...-money-go.aspx
    Gee I wonder if the revenue and the expenses equal out to be 0? Wouldn't that be a crazy coincidence? Kind of like "non-profit" school's accounting books.

I agree. The fans are not where the bulk of the money will come from. I disagree regarding revenue sharing. I think that's the only way any of this is sustainable. Schools and athletic departments have plenty of money, they just don't want to share it, but eventually I think they are going to have to.

I think the collectives will always play a part in the "high priced" guys, but not going to be the only source of nil funds which is about what it is today.
    The schools in the B10 and SEC won’t even share revenue among themselves voluntarily. I doubt they would be willing to share any money with say the MAC or anyone else outside the conference either. I don’t think that the collectives are going anywhere either.