Page 94 of 156 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Not to the extreme above but Hurley in his interviews lately have said things similar to the above. They don’t want guys that are on their third college or have switched aau teams fifteen times etc. He also said they don’t want guys whose first question is what’s the bag etc.

I think there probably are quite a few coaches that operate this way, some the opposite but I think there is some hope out there.
    Easy to do that coming off the heels of Back to Back Championships.

For every guy like Hurley, there are 10 guys that have been in their jobs for 5 years and the seat is getting warm. They need a big season to stay employed. Standards drop pretty quickly when desperation sets in.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Easy to do that coming off the heels of Back to Back Championships.

For every guy like Hurley, there are 10 guys that have been in their jobs for 5 years and the seat is getting warm. They need a big season to stay employed. Standards drop pretty quickly when desperation sets in.
    True, and I’m sure there are guys out there where desperation does set in, but I think there are guys like Hurley too that just say this is what we are going to do and if it doesn’t work or I get fired, then fuck it. I’ll take my millions and peace out. Probably the same it’s always been just like before when there wasn’t nil.

Sophomore
    True, and I’m sure there are guys out there where desperation does set in, but I think there are guys like Hurley too that just say this is what we are going to do and if it doesn’t work or I get fired, then fuck it. I’ll take my millions and peace out…
    I think the new coach at UK would probably get drawn and quartered if he took this approach. Peace out, as in, rest in peace.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    I think the new coach at UK would probably get drawn and quartered if he took this approach. Peace out, as in, rest in peace.
    Why? Not like Hurley isn’t using nil, he’s just not picking up the guys who have been to three schools or the guys who only care about the bag and don’t want to be a team player and win championships.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Wouldn't it be fascinating if someone like Dan Hurley said..."we're not paying any NIL. We'll pay for college, all expenses, and give you some walking around money; but none of this nonsense. Come here to win championships and get a good shot at the pros. Go somewhere else for your NIL dollars. We're not playing that game."

(Yes, I know. Fantasy land.)

Being a college basketball coach is obviously a lot more challenging . Recruiting and developing high school players so they can get experience and the enter the portal sucks. Re- recruiting those same players to stay when others offer more money sucks more. Being a fan of a sport once loved and seeing its evolution into a a mercenary business is disconcerting. Recognizing the players deserve compensation is some comfort. They work hard, entertain, and generate revenue. Yet it doesn’t bridge the gap . The emotional connection fades as the money becomes the a priori reason for playing. A philosopher would say we are mourning the loss of the perceived innocence of amateur sports.

Junior
    Looks like kentucky is going with Pope

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Habemus Papam?

(insert white smoke reference)

Junior
    Matt jones is saying among the tier 2 guys, two of them were removed due to past ncaa stuff. He doesn’t know why, and who had that say, but that’s why two guys got eliminated. Seems like it was Sean and someone else

Supporting Member
    lol hysterical. Sean miller has zero excuses…. X should be running this shit for the foreseeable future. Kelsey is some real competition but other than that, no reason x shouldn’t be dominating this region along with Louisville for the next decade.

Sophomore
    Why? Not like Hurley isn’t using nil, he’s just not picking up the guys who have been to three schools or the guys who only care about the bag and don’t want to be a team player and win championships.
    Relax, it was a bad joke. I was speaking to the dropping of standards in desparation. The UK coach is desperate from day one, and UK fans have no standards. That said, UConn was Cam Spencer‘s third stop, so maybe Hurley is just full of shit.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb