Page 34 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Hilarious. Guy hasn't even put on a Xavier uniform and he is already a miss.

Send Sean and email and alert him, save him a roster spot.
    My question to this board after reading the comments today is what are your expectations for the upcoming season? Where do you think Xavier should finish next season? Do you expect this team to make the NCAA tournament? NIT? What are your bare minimum expectations?

We are coming off the worst season in recent memory. We have been misfortune due to injuries and poor front court recruiting. My expectations are for this team to compete near the top of the Big East and make the NCAA tournament. To do that, Miller needs to hit on most of his portal gets both in the backcourt and front court. Miller took care of the first part of business by clearing house and making spots available for new and hopefully improved roster additions. He got his first transfer who is the first piece of the puzzle. I really hope he is a good complement to our backcourt. I trust Miller but my trust will fade if we pick up flops in the portal. Another season like last season will be unacceptable and will erode trust in Miller by the fans. Hoping Miller gets this right.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    My question to this board after reading the comments today is what are your expectations for the upcoming season? Where do you think Xavier should finish next season? Do you expect this team to make the NCAA tournament? NIT? What are your bare minimum expectations?

We are coming off the worst season in recent memory. We have been misfortune due to injuries and poor front court recruiting. My expectations are for this team to compete near the top of the Big East and make the NCAA tournament. To do that, Miller needs to hit on most of his portal gets both in the backcourt and front court. Miller took care of the first part of business by clearing house and making spots available for new and hopefully improved roster additions. He got his first transfer who is the first piece of the puzzle. I really hope he is a good complement to our backcourt. I trust Miller but my trust will fade if we pick up flops in the portal. Another season like last season will be unacceptable and will erode trust in Miller by the fans. Hoping Miller gets this right.
    Expectations never change. Tournament team, preferably with an at-large resume, but I'll take it any way I can get it. Xavier not making the tournament, in any year, is a huge disappointment for this program, and I'm guessing anyone affiliated with it agrees.

Can't make noise if you don't get there.
    Last edited by drudy23; 03-27-2024 at 05:02 PM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Expectations never change. Tournament team.

Can't make noise if you don't get there.
    Correct.

Junior
    To me it was a tournament team with Freemantle and hunter healthy last year, but it’s up for debate. We are a far cry from Uconn right now. Similar to when Nova ran the league. But there’s a good chance Marquette and creighton (definitely) will lose huge pieces. Their season (like all of the big East, really) depends on the portal. I expect to be competing with everyone but Uconn.

Uconn could lose a shit ton, too. But Hurley I expect to reload easier than the rest.

All-Conference
    I just hope we can get 2 capable BE frontcourt players. This team will not reach its full capability without it in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Hilarious. Guy hasn't even put on a Xavier uniform and he is already a miss.

Send Sean and email and alert him, save him a roster spot.
    I know right, I love this get. I trust Sean here. Miller hits more than he misses to be honest. The panic gets at the end of last post season were bound to mostly be misses. That is the nature of grabbing guys toward the end. You get what you can to fill out a roster so there is a body with at least some talent in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    lol this is classic. In your opinion, Losing all 3 of the big guys is now a problem, when you complained about said 3 big guys and how miller did a poor job in the portal last year. You’re a catch 22.
    No, losing all 3 of the big guys was a problem when i first mentioned it about a week ago and said that i hope that we keep at least one of them. We dont need 3 of those guys, but we also dont need zero of them. I would have taken any of the 3 and installed them firmly in the backup Center role. Then i would have made starting Center my #1 portal priority. My #2 priority would be shooting guard that is deadly from deep. Then i'd go after a stretch 4, even if shooting is the primary thing that guy does well.

And just to Clarify, I never "complained about the 3 big guys." I saw Ciani as a serviceable backup in the Sean O'Mara mold. Plenty of posts about that. I called for Nzeh to get a shot to play EARLY during the Big East schedule when I called it a "lost season", while you and the other cheerleaders were insisting we'd be 13-7. NZeh turned out to show the exact potential I was hoping for and I hate to see him go. I also said that I think Abou is decent defensively and as a rebounder and would have been "hidden" offensively if we had Free available who is pretty much the opposite. i would have taken Abou back as well, but not as a starter and only for about 15 minutes a game.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Let's not get too distraught yet. He's just one guy. Hettel, you can be extremely negative and it gets to be a pain in the ass, hearing your downbeat assessment over and over again. Give Miller a chance.

Step One is create the openings. Nobody is going to want to transfer here unless they believe minutes are available. So, first let Miller free up some minutes. Then he can go out and get players he (not you, not me) believes can help move this team forward. That's Step Two.

Give the negativity a rest. Please.

Let Miller do his job without all the back seat driving.
    It sounds like some posters want Mhettel to go away because he is not currently a Sean Miller cheerleader. All boards need a Mhettel to keep us cheerleaders’ honest. . At the moment Mhettel has the upper hand and we , who currently remain confident in Sean , hope that 2024/25 will justify that confidence.
    We have two narratives on 2023/24. The first is that our front court was a disaster because Sean got blindsided by Freemantle and Hunter’s preseason injuries and was forced to fish from the bottom of the barrel. A more balanced view would be Hunter’s injury was unforeseeable but Freemantle’s was not. Foot injuries to College basketball players can be career ending. He had left foot surgery in 2021, and re-injured it in early 2023. Both times he had a full set of hardware inserted into his foot.The foot is the most complex mechainical structure in the human body composed of 33 joints , 26 bones, and more than a hundred muscles , tendons and ligaments which is , when walking subject to the force of one’s weight, and when jumping two feet and landing on a wood floor , subject to 10 tens that weight. Now when the bones and tendons have been twice damaged and fractured , and then surgically repaired with plates and screws, jumping and landing on that foot is not generally orthopedically recommended.
    In summary, it is fair to say :
    (1). We all hope and pray Freemantle can return and play and has a long career .
    (2). We need a sharp shooting 1 and a Big East ready 4 and 5.
    (2) Each roster addition will receive intense scrutiny.
    (3). Sean has a lot to accomplish and we are pulling for him.
    ( 4) We hope Mhettel is not prophetic.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    thats a really good question, but why are you being so NEGATIVE? why would you ask a logical question like that if it doesnt fit the "I'm the worlds biggest Xavier fan 100% of the time" narrative.
    Well, we have been to one tourney in six years, and we’re coming off the worst season I’ve ever witnessed as an X fan. Look, Sean is my favorite X coach, and I even rooted for him at Arizona. I was over the moon upon his return, and still am. I can’t think of anything that would be more satisfying than to see him and X reach our first Final Four together.

That said, notwithstanding the relative aberration last season, our program is sort of in the pooper. I’m thankful we have Sean to fix it, and I believe he will, but we need more talent, period. That topic seems to be a sensitive one for a few of our (noisiest) posters. That’s fine, but it’s too bad others (myself included) feel it necessary to disclaim how much they like/trust Sean whenever offering any scrutiny, skepticism, or (God forbid) criticism. It’s just a conversation. Sean’s feelings aren’t going to be hurt.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    To me it was a tournament team with Freemantle and hunter healthy last year, but it’s up for debate. We are a far cry from Uconn right now. Similar to when Nova ran the league. But there’s a good chance Marquette and creighton (definitely) will lose huge pieces. Their season (like all of the big East, really) depends on the portal. I expect to be competing with everyone but Uconn.

Uconn could lose a shit ton, too. But Hurley I expect to reload easier than the rest.
    Probably a tournament team with those 2 guys this year.

If we ever have the talent of what UConn has had these past two years, I will never complain again. I don't think that will ever happen unless we go on a magical "Duke in the 80s" run.