Page 28 of 153 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Kind of a weird one since he stepped away for health reasons, but Logan Duncomb is in the portal. Maybe a Mac level or lower?

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    It’s occurring to me that we’re not just recruiting a player, but negotiating with them while also negotiating against the boogeyman. If it hasn’t happened already, I assume player will eventually retain an agent to get the best deal possible. I like this Smith kid….at the right NIL price. We can offer him maybe 200k of our 2-3M pool. Maybe a little more. Then his agent says he’s got a guaranteed starting job for 300k. He doesn’t have to show us the offer or maybe that offer doesn’t exist. But we want the guy and match the boogeyman for 300k. As a result, we have just a little leas for that #7 or #8 guy off the bench. Or the PF that could hit from outside.

The reality is that we are in a sellers market, and relying on a coach to make these deals work. Unless I’m wrong and we’ve got a deal guy working for us. Does anyone know?

The bottom line is that I would expect that most 18-21 year old kids would take more money to play on Mars if it came down to it.

When a college basketball player enters the transfer portal seeking a new school, he weighs various factors: the financial offer, potential playing time, roster strength, NCAA tournament prospects, developmental opportunities, location (including proximity to family), and transferability of academic credits. I asked an agent/ friend about his clients' priorities . He said that playing time and team success take precedence over financial incentives, albeit up to a certain extent. He hasn't seen anyone accepting a 25 percent lower financial offer unless the higher offers came from schools with weak very prospects. He said outside the top 10 guys who are getting 250K to 500 K and above agent participation is minimal. By the time the player( and usually a family member) visit the schools they know what is being offered. If their number one choice is certain school who is light on the money the agent can call the person writing the check and work out the deal . In today’s market schools are not losing out on the money . They all have it or can find it for the player they need. He said generally if you look at the schools who got the player you wanted you will discern why you lost.
    Again, this is just one guys assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Kind of a weird one since he stepped away for health reasons, but Logan Duncomb is in the portal. Maybe a Mac level or lower?
    I just saw that, very interesting to say the least. Makes me wonder if there was more to the story of him walking away for health reasons than was said publicly. For his sake I certainly hope that he is healthy and can play again, but it’s certainly a little strange.

All-Conference
    All of our portal interest seems to be mid major guys again. Can we do this every year and be successful?

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I just saw that, very interesting to say the least. Makes me wonder if there was more to the story of him walking away for health reasons than was said publicly. For his sake I certainly hope that he is healthy and can play again, but it’s certainly a little strange.
    He should seek out a program like NKU, assuming he really wants to play. He's a mid-major talent.

Supporting Member
    sorry if this one was already posted but this dude has three visits set up...Xavier, Auburn and Texas Tech. Good company to be in. Looks like a rebounding machine...miller and staff certainly going after a certain type of player:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...94111/dj-burns

I know its not Big East level, but those rebounding numbers the last 15 or so games is awesome. Never can have enough junkyard dogs.
    Last edited by Xville; 03-27-2024 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    All of our portal interest seems to be mid major guys again. Can we do this every year and be successful?
    The players that have been entering the portal from power 6 schools mainly seem to be backups or players without very good numbers. So the question becomes, do you go after mid-majors with good numbers or power 6 with no history of production at the power 6 level?

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Yeah, wtf with that guy? Archie Miller coached him at IU and must have given Sean some inside scoop, right? was he just a rotation guy #7/8 at best when we brought him in as the first portal commit?

And then, was he just so bad that he felt it better to just walk away?

Now hes back and ready to play again?

Big miss, one way or the other, and probably part of last years debacle.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    sorry if this one was already posted but this dude has three visits set up...Xavier, Auburn and Texas Tech. Good company to be in. Looks like a rebounding machine...miller and staff certainly going after a certain type of player:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...94111/dj-burns

I know its not Big East level, but those rebounding numbers the last 15 or so games is awesome. Never can have enough junkyard dogs.
    Only 6’7. Interesting. Can def rebound. Will also be his 6th year, looks like maybe his 2nd year was a medical redshirt year? Only played 6 games.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I don’t think there is much option. Good guard play is all around. Arguably the two best players from the past two years were mid major guards. Getting all conference type players from mid majors can work.

But like I said, the reality is- If you’re a wing or big transferring from a P5 school, the likelihood is you either A) weren’t good enough to play or B) were solid and the best of the best are coming after you. There are so many transfers I’d imagine there is a middle ground somewhere and examples of it- just think in general that will be the case.

I don’t think X will routinely compete with the best in the sport for the highest portal transfers, especially from P5 schools. They can snag someone every now and then I am sure, but more often than not will have to take some chances on guys who were all conference at a mid major and hope it translates.