Page 100 of 156 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1553
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    You’re right about the money coming from the collectives and not the schools but feel like there should be some way to do the cap thru that? Probably a pipedream but a cap with some transparent numbers would be nice.
    I'm just spitballing here (my apologies to Jack Nicholson), but in a world of computers, financial reporting, general IRS overreach and a little legislation to tighten up the leaky data points, I wonder if some form of mandatory reporting clearinghouse could be established to monitor all of this.

First of all, I have to believe that NIL monies are documented and tracked through 1099 reporting to the IRS. Otherwise, I believe a major stress point with the status quo is the exempt status of some of the NIL entities that exist, because we know they have absolutely nothing to do with charitable activities or public good, given that they're really all about purchasing talent:

https://www.alston.com/en/insights/p...il-collectives

Somethings Gotta Give (see what I did there). Can monitoring be done in such a manner as to capture most legal activity? Sure, it takes collective agreement and willpower to sew the right systems and processes together to get there. Are there certain schools that are in no rush to do that? Yep.

I'll just say that, should we get to unions and direct compensation from the universities themselves, then watch out. That could - may most likely - lead to cuts in non-revenue sports. The Title IX crowd will go ballistic.

Last comment: have you guys watched the most recent SM Podcast with Billy O'Conner (Xavier's Baseball Coach). What a class act. The point is that talented programs adjust. Talented programs find a way to navigate change. Sean Miller is the same way. X is a small school as compared to B1G and SEC schools and we have our limitations, but we also have great leadership that isn't shrinking from the challenge. And, for the millionth time, thank God we're in the Big East. That alone should enable us to play well in the sandbox moving forward.
    X A V I E R

Thank God we are in the BE….agree. But that hasn’t helped Gtown or DePaul all that much. Need more than that to hang their hat on.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I thought players deserved more freedom to move around, and I don’t mind them being paid. Unfortunately, the resulting product is something I care for much less than the old fashion roster building we were used to.
    Paid is one thing, I read somewhere Ballo's asking price is $1.1mil. That's crazy money.

Freshman
    “I'll just say that, should we get to unions and direct compensation from the universities themselves, then watch out. That could - may most likely - lead to cuts in non-revenue sports. The Title IX crowd will go ballistic.”

While unionization of college basketball could stabilize both transfers and flatten compensation it is unlikely to happen at schools who have boosters who are willing to pour money into their collective to get the best talent. For a college basketball team to unionize, at least 30% of the players must petition to have a union election.Then, 50% of the players who actually vote (not all players) must vote in favor for the union to be certified.
    The Dartmouth basketball team voted 13-2 to join a union. Colleges most likely to see sports unionization
    are those without the highest-profile, highest-earning athletes who can earn significant NIL money. This is because highly-paid players may not want a union contract that benefits all employees at a lower level than what the top players can earn on their own. In response, the college could potentially cut non-revenue sports programs. This could be done without violating Title IX, as long as the participation opportunities and resource allocation remain proportionate to the enrollment of each gender.
    For the foreseeable future, as long as Xavier’s collective is paying players who might fight unionization to protect their disproportionate compensation. not much will change. At the very wealthy Schools, they can accommodate unionization so all players get paid , with the Stars getting their add on compensation from the Collective for their NIL.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...andon-garrison

Here's a guy that X has targeted, with Texas and Oklahoma as comp right now. Good numbers for a freshman and a big boy.
    He might stay in the state and go to Oklahoma - but he would be a great addition if we can get him.

Mobile 6’11 Center - think this might be the perfect fit for him and X.

Mr. Garrison, together with Freemantle, Hunter, McNight, Claude, Swain, Green, Powell, Foster plus two/ three more productive portal pieces you could be playing for a National Championship.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-12-2024 at 05:57 PM.

Junior
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...andon-garrison

Here's a guy that X has targeted, with Texas and Oklahoma as comp right now. Good numbers for a freshman and a big boy.
    I prefer at least one guy like this to have for a few years as opposed to all being one year rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Paid is one thing, I read somewhere Ballo's asking price is $1.1mil. That's crazy money.
    Might he get it? If you were his age, what would you ask for? I don’t blame the person, it’s just a broken system.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    In a meeting with boosters yesterday morning, Ballo's name came up. Sean said Ballo will get one million+ and X has not and will not reach out to him.
    Thanks for the info. Seems like the perfect fit for us to compete at the top of the Big East.

Sophomore
    This dude has two visits scheduled....X and Nebraska...X is first next week.

A big boy...nothing too exciting, but would be a good rotational guy

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...john-hugley-iv
    A big boy indeed. Would be a good backup but not the impact center we desperately need. He also has had some sort of off the court issue. I am sure Sean has looked into it. I’d take him as a backup if the off the court stuff is in the past.

Not to get to political, but how many of you on here are thinking an NIL cap vs. free market approach. It is an interesting discussion and might need to be moved, but it's an emerging market where traditional free market thinkers are fans also that want stiff regulations applied to even out the playing field.