Page 141 of 172 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1715
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Yeah, one thing is for sure. The portal hasnt resulted in dilution of talent in CUSA.

oh wait, yes it has. just like I said it would.

Dont you have a protest you need to be at?
    I can't think of one reason you give two shits about the level of talent in the CUSA except you like to have things to complain about. (somehow the CUSA keeps producing guys higher levels want tho?)

Is your brother the CUSA commissioner?

Is your second favorite team Rice?

They are a one bid basketball league so it can't have anything to do with messing up the tournament or anything of that nature.

Xavier has benefited greatly from players in the league who are looking to make a jump.

Where is the problem?
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Also probably has nothing to do with cusa losing most of their good teams last year like fau for instance among others. I guess that’s a conference transfer portal problem rather than an individual transfer portal problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    So because kyky was a 1st team conference all American that means there is a dilution of talent at the cusa level? That痴 a pretty big leap
    Well if Quincy or Davion were still in the league, they would have both made the first team dont ya think? So 2 of the 5 guys that DID make 1st team All CUSA would have been on the 2nd team. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I can't think of one reason you give two shits about the level of talent in the CUSA except you like to have things to complain about. (somehow the CUSA keeps producing guys higher levels want tho?)

Is your brother the CUSA commissioner?

Is your second favorite team Rice?

They are a one bid basketball league so it can't have anything to do with messing up the tournament or anything of that nature.

Xavier has benefited greatly from players in the league who are looking to make a jump.

Where is the problem?
    wow. You really don't get it. These leagues are losing their best players by the truckload. I analyzed the portal impact on CUSA last summer in fact. Of the all league teams (including all defense and all freshmen), something like 2 out of 11 guys that could have come back to CUSA actually did. And most of the guys that transferred went to a "bigger / better" school in a more "powerful" conference (Abou, McKnight, Quincy for instance).

The little cinderella teams that used to make some noise in the dance were always veteran, experienced teams from these smaller leagues. THAT IS WHAT MAKES THE TOURNAMENT GREAT. If you pick these guys off after 1 or 2 years, you never even get a chance for these teams to become Cinderella.

And further, all those good players are now making the ALREADY Strong Conferences stronger.

Think about XU and the portal. We picked up 3 guards / wings from mid major schools. These guys were legit all-league type performers. And now they are on OUR roster. And whos spots did they take? Ciani, Craft, and Ducharme who all ended up at....wait for it.....mid majors!

So we swap the worst talent in the best leagues with the best talent in the lower leagues and you cant connect the dots on what will happen to the competitive landscape?

Supporting Member
    Well if Quincy or Davion were still in the league, they would have both made the first team dont ya think? So 2 of the 5 guys that DID make 1st team All CUSA would have been on the 2nd team. And so on.
    Who knows, Maybe. That’s a lot of ifs and buts, and it’d probably be hard for q since rice isn’t even in the conference anymore. If there is a dilution of talent, probably would have more to do with teams leaving the conference than the transfer portal. Even still im sure the teams that remained in CUSA benefited from the portal as well.

Big conference teams still want cusa players so the talent must be alright.
    Last edited by Xville; 04-24-2024 at 02:52 PM.

Junior
    Jacksonville state also got a player who broke the schools single season points record. I知 assuming they liked that part of the transaction? Having one of the best scorers your program has ever had because of the portal is a nice consolation prize id think.

wow. You really don't get it. These leagues are losing their best players by the truckload. I analyzed the portal impact on CUSA last summer in fact. Of the all league teams (including all defense and all freshmen), something like 2 out of 11 guys that could have come back to CUSA actually did. And most of the guys that transferred went to a "bigger / better" school in a more "powerful" conference (Abou, McKnight, Quincy for instance).

The little cinderella teams that used to make some noise in the dance were always veteran, experienced teams from these smaller leagues. THAT IS WHAT MAKES THE TOURNAMENT GREAT. If you pick these guys off after 1 or 2 years, you never even get a chance for these teams to become Cinderella.

And further, all those good players are now making the ALREADY Strong Conferences stronger.

Think about XU and the portal. We picked up 3 guards / wings from mid major schools. These guys were legit all-league type performers. And now they are on OUR roster. And whos spots did they take? Ciani, Craft, and Ducharme who all ended up at....wait for it.....mid majors!

So we swap the worst talent in the best leagues with the best talent in the lower leagues and you cant connect the dots on what will happen to the competitive landscape?
    So your concern is losing Cinderella in the NCAA tournament? I am glad we have that established now. It always takes a while to parse out what your actual concern is about whatever it is you are complaining about.

4 years in on NIL and we still have UK losing to St. Peters and Oakland and Purdue losing to a 16 seed and countless other upsets.

Again, you are complaining to complain.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Jacksonville state also got a player who broke the schools single season points record. I’m assuming they liked that part of the transaction? Having one of the best scorers your program has ever had because of the portal is a nice consolation prize id think.
    Impossible, you have to be lying.

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Wilcher is now off to Texas A&M from Nebraska after leaving X
    His PT dwindled as the season went on. I watched a bit in the post season. He was a very short time replacement in an O/F switch

Supporting Member
    Another consequence of the new reality is that the top tier of teams will get better than in the near past and thus you need to get better just to stand still. There are several reasons for this:

- fewer players who are not sure fire NBA picks will risk declaring for the draft when they still have eligibility and can command significant NIL
    - the same applies all the more to those who would otherwise go the G League
    - the acceleration of top non P5 players going to the top programs with large NIL budgets, without the downside of sitting a year

Thus each year teams with the biggest NIL budgets can more easily stock top players at every position, who will also be old. This is very different from Calipari attracting a bunch of freshmen 5 stars.