Page 26 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
    Is Larry Blurred going to be available after the NIT?
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    The guy is a below 50% free throw shooter in his college career. It’s pretty evident that his free throw shooting will always be a problem and will be exploited by other teams. These are the types of guys who cost you games because they can’t make free throws down the stretch. I have no idea how many forwards are out there that can rebound. Quite a few based on the portal. But whats the point when he gets fouled rebounding and you can bank on him missing the front end of a 1 on 1. Maybe a squad player at best but I doubt he would be brought in for that roll. I wouldn’t say his other stats aren’t crazy impressive either based on his competition at a lower level.
    All I know is, we need more than one quality front court player from the portal.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

The guy is a below 50% free throw shooter in his college career. It’s pretty evident that his free throw shooting will always be a problem and will be exploited by other teams. These are the types of guys who cost you games because they can’t make free throws down the stretch. I have no idea how many forwards are out there that can rebound. Quite a few based on the portal. But whats the point when he gets fouled rebounding and you can bank on him missing the front end of a 1 on 1. Maybe a squad player at best but I doubt he would be brought in for that roll. I wouldn’t say his other stats aren’t crazy impressive either based on his competition at a lower level.
    Our 3 headed monster at Center this year played 1319 minutes and took a grand total of 101 Free Throws. They made 49 (48.5%)

This guy Sam Alexis played 872 minutes and had 91 attempts and made 44 (48.4%).

He gets to the line 36% more often than our guys this year, and he shoots 55% from the field. Our guys shot 48% from the field.

I'm not comparing his "game" so much, but stats wise he seems like a slight upgrade over Abou defensively, and and a considerable upgrade offensively.

Probably not gonna ride this guy to an NCAA title, but add another sturdy big that can split minutes with him and that might work.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Our 3 headed monster at Center this year played 1319 minutes and took a grand total of 101 Free Throws…
    101? Can that be possible? My XU Calculus says that was like three per game. It is hard to wrap my mind around the total suck that was our front court.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Our 3 headed monster at Center this year played 1319 minutes and took a grand total of 101 Free Throws. They made 49 (48.5%)

This guy Sam Alexis played 872 minutes and had 91 attempts and made 44 (48.4%).

He gets to the line 36% more often than our guys this year, and he shoots 55% from the field. Our guys shot 48% from the field.

I'm not comparing his "game" so much, but stats wise he seems like a slight upgrade over Abou defensively, and and a considerable upgrade offensively.

Probably not gonna ride this guy to an NCAA title, but add another sturdy big that can split minutes with him and that might work.
    If this guy is a squad filler who plays 10-15 minutes a game. Ok, I can accept trying to get him here for depth. If he is the starting center or the 6th man come next year, we are in trouble. His number only go so far coming from a far inferior conference compared to the Big East. His free throw shooting % should have most on here scratching their heads. Do you really want to lose games because this guy can’t make free throws. At 48% a clip, he is going to lose us games. Close games that we will need to win to get back to the NCAA tournament. Hopefully Miller has other options ahead of this guy who will significantly improve the front court.

All I know is that Sean said that they needed to be a much better defensive and rebounding team……so I would assume that those are the qualities that he will be looking for foremost.

As fans we get caught up in offensive numbers but coaches sometimes look for things beyond that. How many games did X lose this year because they simply couldn’t get the defensive rebound and teams got 2nd chance points at a critical point in the game? In my opinion that happened way way too often, and it was a constant problem all year long. If X hadn’t given up so many extra possessions how much better would their defense have been? X is looking for rebounders! Especially defensive rebounders.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    All I know is that Sean said that they needed to be a much better defensive and rebounding team……so I would assume that those are the qualities that he will be looking for foremost.

As fans we get caught up in offensive numbers but coaches sometimes look for things beyond that. How many games did X lose this year because they simply couldn’t get the defensive rebound and teams got 2nd chance points at a critical point in the game? In my opinion that happened way way too often, and it was a constant problem all year long. If X hadn’t given up so many extra possessions how much better would their defense have been? X is looking for rebounders! Especially defensive rebounders.
    Yes from what has been stated by numerous sources, x is looking for two bigs… a tough rebounding type who will do some dirty work, and then a skilled big offensively. This guy would be a great fit for the first one with some upside athletically.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Yes from what has been stated by numerous sources, x is looking for two bigs… a tough rebounding type who will do some dirty work, and then a skilled big offensively…
    How about two of each?

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    If this guy is a squad filler who plays 10-15 minutes a game. Ok, I can accept trying to get him here for depth. If he is the starting center or the 6th man come next year, we are in trouble. His number only go so far coming from a far inferior conference compared to the Big East. His free throw shooting % should have most on here scratching their heads. Do you really want to lose games because this guy can’t make free throws. At 48% a clip, he is going to lose us games. Close games that we will need to win to get back to the NCAA tournament. Hopefully Miller has other options ahead of this guy who will significantly improve the front court.
    I know nothing about this guy, so he might suck, but to pick out one stat and eliminate him as a serious contributor because of it is very shortsighted.

2 of the top 5 rebounders in college basketball this year shot below 50% from the FT line. 5 of the top 17 shot under 60%. We need guys who can rebound and play offensively in the post. To dismiss someone who can do that bc of FT% would not be smart.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I know nothing about this guy, so he might suck, but to pick out one stat and eliminate him as a serious contributor because of it is very shortsighted.

2 of the top 5 rebounders in college basketball this year shot below 50% from the FT line. 5 of the top 17 shot under 60%. We need guys who can rebound and play offensively in the post. To dismiss someone who can do that bc of FT% would not be smart.
    I don’t know much about this kid either but tell me some stats about this kid that should get me excited? He averaged nearly but not a double double in a very weak conference. We expected this to transfer to the Big East? He seems to have games with double double type stats and other games where he barely produced at all. Decent stats against Louisville and Auburn but 2 points 8 rebounds against ETSU and 5 points 6 rebounds against Samford. Seems like he disappeared at times during the season. The free throw shooting is a valid concern. This program seems to produce guys who can’t shoot free throws consistently. To win close games in this conference, you need to make your free throws. Something that this kid will struggle to do for the program. I guess you can’t teach height and athleticism so if he is a rotational squad player ok. If we are asking him to be a starter or 6th man type, we are going to struggle next season. Hopefully there are additional forwards Miller is trying to bring in as well.