Page 161 of 174 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1731
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I take "lead guard" as meaning "the guy" - this past year, Quincy was "the guy". Wondering if Claude felt like he was playing second fiddle to Q, and that Sean is always going to look for that lead guard (PG or not) that fits best in Sean's system.

So not necessarily wanting to be PG, but the guy that it's all built around.
    But he had that at X.

Junior
    Maybe. I think Quincy was more of “the guy”. With Freemantle back I expect him to be more of a focal point in half court offense (if there is one, feels like it will be spread around a bit).

For what it’s worth the other board said he was offered $500K at X, but it was to play the wing. X was going to find another guard to go with McKnight in the backcourt. So essentially his same role and spot this past year, with what I’d assume being less usage in half court offense….since, on paper, we have a capable front court

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Maybe. I think Quincy was more of “the guy”. With Freemantle back I expect him to be more of a focal point in half court offense (if there is one, feels like it will be spread around a bit).

For what it’s worth the other board said he was offered $500K at X, but it was to play the wing. X was going to find another guard to go with McKnight in the backcourt. So essentially his same role and spot this past year, with what I’d assume being less usage in half court offense….since, on paper, we have a capable front court
    Ok. But now the story gets spread even thinner. First, it’s that he wants to be PG. fine. Then do it. Now he’s a lead guard. Which gets translated as the man, which we can’t be because Fremantle is back who is a forward.

The argument collapses on itself. Is he trying to be a PG?

Play at X, for half a million bucks for a coach that has a clue how to get guys to the NBA and would have a real perspective give on your potential. Or, decide you need more than that.

I don’t really care to be honest. I thought Claude was great. And I’d like for have watched what he could become in an XU uniform after 4 years. But that’s not important to him, so he’s not important to me.

I said previously that we’d win the “trade” by gaining Foster, Conwell and Maddox while losing Q and Des.

We will be fine. Possibly better. I hope Des made the right decision for the right reason.

Junior
    ….PG and “the man” can’t both be true?

At the end of the day I couldn’t care less, I agree. I think X won the “trade” and is more versatile with more shooting on the court. And I would’ve been happy if Claude stayed. But don’t think he showed much as a PG, and X would’ve been best suited as him being a wing player again. Sounds like it worked out best for both parties

The USC message board is rather ecstatic over the news. Someone there also posted a highlights video.

His primary dream is the NBA. we couldn’t reach mutually beneficial ground with him.

I wish him the best. I wish we still had him. But I do understand that we will be better overall moving forward.
    X A V I E R

Lots of agreement with the last 2 posts.

Best of luck, Des!

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I think using the term "lead guard" is certainly vague at a minimum and deceptive at worst. i suspected he would follow the money. The "word" was that he was looking for PG role. Had he found a PG role at USC, he could have just said that. Lead Guard is not EXACTLY PG, but it kinda is.

For those that wondered what the phrase "have your cake and eat it too" means. Well this is it.
    It's amazing, how in despite of all the evidence in any given situation being against you, you have an ability to declare yourself right.

I'm not sure if there is a single word for irrational confidence, but if there was, Hett's picture would be next to it in the dictionary.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    No. Point Guard is Point Guard.

Lead guard is vague enough to satisfy his claim that he was looking for a PG role.

This is very purposeful language.

It’s money.
    Please enlighten us with what Claude was making in NIL at X and what he is now making at USC. Since you must know all the details given your irrationally confident declaration.

Lead guard is a PG, or at least the guard with the ball in their hands.

It's exactly what Claude said it was and exactly like I predicted he would at best be looking at a lateral move program wise if he wanted to be PG.

You are such a blowhard, I can't believe anyone takes you seriously.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 05-02-2024 at 11:25 PM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I take "lead guard" as meaning "the guy" - this past year, Quincy was "the guy". Wondering if Claude felt like he was playing second fiddle to Q, and that Sean is always going to look for that lead guard (PG or not) that fits best in Sean's system.

So not necessarily wanting to be PG, but the guy that it's all built around.
    But he had that at X.
    Clearly Des was supposed to be "the guy" going into the season, especially without Free, and he was to some degree much of the season. He was still the player that was talked about. If Olivari supplanted him, it was because he took it away. He earned it. He produced. Des did some good stuff and had some great games. He fell short at the end of games and really couldn't be a closer. It wasn't like Miller decided Claude was not going to be his go-to. I suspect Miller wanted him to. Claude didn't grab the ring. He didn't like the heat. He got out of the kitchen. Don't let the door...
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Please enlighten us with what Claude was making in NIL at X and what he is now making at USC. Since you must know all the details given your irrationally confident declaration.

Lead guard is a PG, or at least the guard with the ball in their hands.

It's exactly what Claude said it was and exactly like I predicted he would at best be looking at a lateral move program wise if he wanted to be PG.

You are such a blowhard, I can't believe anyone takes you seriously.
    Yep 100%. Had little to do with money and more about position which is what we said all along, Claude proves that and makes a statement attributing the switch to exactly that and hett still thinks he’s right lol. It’s amazing.