Page 83 of 172 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast
    Job skipping….as a way to get higher pay and promotions…has become normal in today’s work climate. It is considered a very acceptable and common practice by many people in the 20-40 year old demographic. My wife worked for the same company for 39 years. I basically worked for 2 companies over a 40 year career. Pensions, benefits, accrued vacation all were considerations and reasons for staying at companies. But these things barely exist any longer. Is it any wonder that college age kids don’t see moving from college to college as something wrong? That many are more about what THEY can get out of the experience and less about what they have to offer TO the schools? It’s something that they have seen in the work place and in professional sports their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I guess my default position is in line with your first two paragraphs. Not sure he has it figured out but since I believe we have the right guy guiding the program, I trust he will. Grad80 tells us that Miller has a system in place to recruit the portal and that makes sense to me. I do wonder if he will make changes to his recruiting strategy, going forward, to either take better advantage of the portal or to minimize the disruption it causes to the program.

As far as whether or not our coach took some vacation time, cannot wait to get the discussion back to more relevant topics. These days you can do your job from a beach, a hotel room or an office and nobody at the other end of the phone knows the difference.
    I’ve got to believe Sean is continually tweaking his strategy as he gets better at understanding and playing the NIL game. l know he is amazed by Dan Hurley and his UCONN teams the past two years. Not just because of the results they’ve had over the past two years, but because of the way the team has been assembled which better positioned them for such success. I think Sean realized he (Sean) has relied too much on the old way of building a team: get your core guys from high school who you will develop and fill in one or two extra pieces you might still need with transfers/ players from the portal. That and the other old way of thinking that 7 or 8 solid players are all you really need in your rotation.

Finally, he knows the idea of “building a team for the future” might be a waste of time. Many high school kids can be misses and then those misses are filling up your scholarships slots with players who arenĀ’t even good enough to see the floor and compete at this level.

Sean realizes he needs to assemble more proven pieces - 9 or more players who have been consistent contributors on another team- and he needs each player to buy into the idea that they and the team both will benefit from all a little less playing time. They will be less fatigued and be able to play their best ball when they do get in the game… which greatly will improve the chance of being on a championship caliber team. sean also needs convince them that it is not important if they start or not because they will all play significant minutes and have their chance to shine. A bunch of good piece so there is little to no drop off at any point in the game.

I too am not concerned at all about his vacation status. Sean is not a slacker. He is very methodical and very determined to be better. His reputation as someone who gives his best and can prove he can compete and beat his peers is important to him.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-08-2024 at 09:59 AM.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Job skipping….as a way to get higher pay and promotions…has become normal in today’s work climate. It is considered a very acceptable and common practice by many people in the 20-40 year old demographic. My wife worked for the same company for 39 years. I basically worked for 2 companies over a 40 year career. Pensions, benefits, accrued vacation all were considerations and reasons for staying at companies. But these things barely exist any longer. Is it any wonder that college age kids don’t see moving from college to college as something wrong? That many are more about what THEY can get out of the experience and less about what they have to offer TO the schools? It’s something that they have seen in the work place and in professional sports their whole lives.
    And I would add. Many student - athletes prioritize sports over academics. And in fairness, the demanding schedules of practices, games, and travel can make it challenging to allocate sufficient time for studying and coursework. If they are good enough to demand NIL money can double down on sports and return to school when they have run out of options to continue sports. They develop a strong work ethic that will serve them well. Gallup surveys show student athletes have more favorable outcomes in their personal and professional lives. It is a great lifetime opportunity.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Job skipping….as a way to get higher pay and promotions…has become normal in today’s work climate. It is considered a very acceptable and common practice .
    …..yeah, it should be. And if I were good enough to play D1 bball I’d have to consider my options. If I’m likely to play in the NBA, money won’t be as important as developing. If Europe is my future- I’d try to get the most NIL I can. Never know when an injury is going to take you out. I’d want to maximize my earnings while I can. And for the guys whose future in bball is low end professional basketball, this might be the time they can earn the most.

Just my opinion. I definitely see the value and benefit of staying with your team and the lifelong relationship that brings. Not all about $.
    Last edited by Xavier; 04-08-2024 at 10:30 AM.

Supporting Member
    Think it was mentioned already but Maddox has visits now scheduled with Louisville, Illinois and X. Already visited TCU.

Hate to sound negative but i don't see X winning this battle. Hope to be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Think it was mentioned already but Maddox has visits now scheduled with Louisville, Illinois and X. Already visited TCU.

Hate to sound negative but i don't see X winning this battle. Hope to be surprised.
    Illinois already got AJ Storr. I would think TCU and Louisville with their massive amount of minutes are the draws here.

Junior
    Minutes could still open up here. Depends on Claude. But I’d assume he would start regardless

Sophomore
    Xavier has reached out to Michigan transfer Terrance Williams and Ohio State transfer Zed Key.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Xavier has reached out to Michigan transfer Terrance Williams and Ohio State transfer Zed Key.
    WHAT?!?!!?! HOW?!?!?! isn't Miller still on vacation?

Supporting Member
    Oumar Ballo has entered the transfer portal. Far fetched but a man can dream----does he wanna come play his last year for his old buddy Sean Miller ?