Page 130 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1727
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Looking at some stats...

Conwell (33.9), Maddox(33.1), and Foster (31.1) combined to play 98.1 minutes a game last year. I think we can assume these 3 guys will lock down the SG and SF positions next year. To do so, they will have to give up 18 minutes a game between them or maybe one of them can also be the backup PG when McKnight is out.

If that is the case, Green is squeezed out. It also puts a little pressure on Swain's minutes too. Although he would seem ideal when we need a little more defense and size at the 3. Swain can also play the 4 if we go small ball, but Hunter and Free are there as well.

There are only 200 minutes in a game. In order to keep guys around in this day and age, I think they have to see a clear path to minutes available. I'd like to see something like this...

McKnight, Conwell, Maddox- 25 each (75)

Hughly, Unknow backup Center, Freemantle- 20 each (60)

Swain, Hunter, Foster- 15 each (45)

Green, Powell- 10 each (20)

Thats it. 200 minutes with nobody playing more than 25 per game. need alot of team chemistry and wins to keep everyone happy.
    I would be surprised to see a healthy Hunter playing only 15 minutes and a healthy Freemantle playing only 20. I’d imagine you’d have to bump up each at least another 5 minutes. Maybe the three guards you have down for 25 mpg end up with closer to 22 a piece.

Any idea when we might hear about another frontcourt transfer?
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    There are only 200 minutes in a game. In order to keep guys around in this day and age, I think they have to see a clear path to minutes available. I'd like to see something like this...

McKnight, Conwell, Maddox- 25 each (75)

Hughly, Unknow backup Center, Freemantle- 20 each (60)

Swain, Hunter, Foster- 15 each (45)

Green, Powell- 10 each (20)

Thats it. 200 minutes with nobody playing more than 25 per game.
    Interesting. Math works.

11 deep.

I wonder. What’s the deepest rotation X has used over the years. And how did that turn out?
    Warmly,
    "Mel"

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Any idea when we might hear about another frontcourt transfer?
    Possibly this weekend. We have a forward from Appy State visiting this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    I would be surprised to see a healthy Hunter playing only 15 minutes and a healthy Freemantle playing only 20. I’d imagine you’d have to bump up each at least another 5 minutes. Maybe the three guards you have down for 25 mpg end up with closer to 22 a piece.
    i think with Free, its not a matter of "healthy", its preserving him for as long as you can next year to avoid another injury to the foot

Perhaps Miller is changing is coaching/recruiting philosophy. He often will state X will likely not play more than 9 guys.

I doubt also X will spray those minutes to everyone.

We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Perhaps Miller is changing is coaching/recruiting philosophy. He often will state X will likely not play more than 9 guys.

I doubt also X will spray those minutes to everyone.

We will see.
    Maybe X will do the 1996 UK "5 replace 5" strategy and run teams to death
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Maybe X will do the 1996 UK "5 replace 5" strategy and run teams to death
    I'm sort of expecting something like this. No question, too many and too frequent substitutions can interrupt the flow of the game. At the same time, Miller (as we all know) has said he never wants to lack depth, like we did last year.

So, how do you address that? You recruit experienced players via the portal. But none of those players are going to sign on unless they feel they will see the floor. That's quite understandable so I think Miller addresses that in two ways. Plays nine of more each game and plays very up tempo. This may be a bit easier if he protects Free and Hunter by limiting their minutes (assuming they are healthy) and now that Claude has left the building.

It will also be interesting to see how the mobility, provided via the portal, affects Miller's recruiting philosophy going forward. Very early at the start of his second stint here, he gave an interview where he discussed recruiting. I'm paraphrasing what he said but basically he stated a desire to recruit the "right fit" rather than the best player. Maybe Claude wasn't the right fit. He understandably is focused on getting to The League next year and that caused his priorities to differ from Miller. So, he's moved on. Claude is a great player for sure but I'm shedding no tears. I trust Miller's ability to put together a team not a group of individuals. Claude was an individual. A good one but his personal priorities were more important to him than being in what Miller feels is best for team priorities.

Supporting Member
    Unless green transfers. I’d bet Powell gets very little if no time by the time conference play starts. Just the life of a freshman in this period.

Supporting Member
    Avila announcing today at 5. Sounds like it may not be slu or Goodman is just trying to get people to watch his show
    Last edited by Xville; 04-20-2024 at 01:03 PM.