Page 93 of 156 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    We've lost our way.

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    One college coach just told me that a player’s representative called asking for excess of $1.5 million in NIL.

The player is not yet in the portal.
    12:28 PM · Apr 11, 2024
    ·
    Views
    But also, relationships matter....

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    But also, relationships matter....
    Well, if it is Claude he is 100% gone. No relationship when this type of information is leaked out by a coach. Also not a team player if you are demanding that type of NIL from a school. More of a me first attitude. Hopefully this is a different player at a different program.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Well, if it is Claude he is 100% gone. No relationship when this type of information is leaked out by a coach. Also not a team player if you are demanding that type of NIL from a school. More of a me first attitude. Hopefully this is a different player at a different program.
    It is 1000% not Des!!!!
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

We've lost our way.

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    One college coach just told me that a player’s representative called asking for excess of $1.5 million in NIL.

The player is not yet in the portal.
    12:28 PM · Apr 11, 2024
    ·
    Views
    I’m sorry, but this is fucking stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Supporting Member
    I wouldnt trust everything that Goodman says as gospel, and that number is so far from almost all numbers that are rumored out there besides maybe Dickinson that I doubt it’s close to anything des’ ask.

Junior
    Another thing to remember. Schools, agents, and players all inflate the actual number. It looks good for everyone involved.

Having said that- most believe Kansas spent the most NIL this year and it resulted in Selfs worst year at Kansas.

Supporting Member
    I have an acquaintance who is an important booster at another university in this region where, like Xavier, basketball is the front porch. He told me that the team's returning "5", who is pretty good and had not entered the portal, told the powers that be, that he was promised $1.0 million if he transferred. The player indicated that he would enter the portal if he could not get a similar deal from his current school. The booster told me the collective came up with approximately $800K and a new SUV and that sealed the players return.

I know this guy is close to the program and a visible and high-end supporter of the school's basketball program. So, I believe what he told me.

I echo PaulXU. We have indeed lost our way.

Freshman
    Jay Wright was known for recruiting and developing players. So it was interesting but not surprising to see him say that model does not work today. He says the portal plus the extra Covid year creates seasoned 21 to 23 year old players versus 18 year olds. And that maturity and experience creates a big gap.
    Jay Wright: Building with young talent no longer works in college hoops

Wouldn't it be fascinating if someone like Dan Hurley said..."we're not paying any NIL. We'll pay for college, all expenses, and give you some walking around money; but none of this nonsense. Come here to win championships and get a good shot at the pros. Go somewhere else for your NIL dollars. We're not playing that game."

(Yes, I know. Fantasy land.)
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    Wouldn't it be fascinating if someone like Dan Hurley said..."we're not paying any NIL. We'll pay for college, all expenses, and give you some walking around money; but none of this nonsense. Come here to win championships and get a good shot at the pros. Go somewhere else for your NIL dollars. We're not playing that game."

(Yes, I know. Fantasy land.)
    Not to the extreme above but Hurley in his interviews lately have said things similar to the above. They don’t want guys that are on their third college or have switched aau teams fifteen times etc. He also said they don’t want guys whose first question is what’s the bag etc.

I think there probably are quite a few coaches that operate this way, some the opposite but I think there is some hope out there.