Page 101 of 156 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1553
    With Free officially back, and McKnight having said so earlier, we really need Claude to show his commitment and do the same. Those 3, with presumably Swain, Green, Powell and Foster give us a base to recruit from. Maybe Hunter as well (even in a limited capacity).

This puts us 2 BIGS and a Shooting SG way from a decent roster. We need something to recruit into. Claude can go a long way towards that.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Not to get to political, but how many of you on here are thinking an NIL cap vs. free market approach. It is an interesting discussion and might need to be moved, but it's an emerging market where traditional free market thinkers are fans also that want stiff regulations applied to even out the playing field.
    It's college sports. The NFL and NBA have salary caps to try and even out the playing field. Would you want to play poker where some people could get extra Aces, because Hey, it's free market. Golf with a flying ball for the rich guy. It's an apples and oranges argument. No one questions the NFL, the most successful sports league of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by A Fan View Post
    Being a college basketball coach is obviously a lot more challenging . Recruiting and developing high school players so they can get experience and the enter the portal sucks. Re- recruiting those same players to stay when others offer more money sucks more. Being a fan of a sport once loved and seeing its evolution into a a mercenary business is disconcerting. Recognizing the players deserve compensation is some comfort. They work hard, entertain, and generate revenue. Yet it doesn’t bridge the gap . The emotional connection fades as the money becomes the a priori reason for playing. A philosopher would say we are mourning the loss of the perceived innocence of amateur sports.
    This is a very well worded post, and nicely represents the many concerns that "NIL" is the beginning of the inevitable. Spades are now excavating the soil. I would only add that the $$$ will create an unavoidable corrosion of team chemistry and locker room friction. This will be a major issue going forward.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 04-12-2024 at 09:46 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    This is a very well worded post, and nicely represents the many concerns that "NIL" is the beginning of the inevitable. Spades are now excavating the soil. I would only add that the $$$ will create an unavoidable corrosion of team chemistry and locker room friction. This will be a major issue going forward.
    All part of the grand plan to fundamentally change the landscape of college athletics. Thanks a lot O'Biden. Amirite?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    All part of the grand plan to fundamentally change the landscape of college athletics. Thanks a lot O'Biden. Amirite?
    Dude - you angry at something?

You can thank O'Biden on another thread. However, no one.....EVER.....can post ANYTHING that does.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Supporting Member
    lol public reps. That’s amazing.

Money concerns have sometimes created huge riffs in locker rooms and affected team chemistry to a point where teams do not achieve the results that they are capable of. But only sometimes. It’s not an inevitable situation. Baseball players have been getting paid for 150 years now. Most of those years with no Union, no salary cap, and no revenue sharing. Football, Basketball, and Hockey for not as long, but the same way. Of course I’m talking about pro sports. But let’s get over the idea that pro always mean grownup or mature. They can be just as childish and selfish as any college player. Yet we hear about how good the locker room is on teams like the Bengals and how much the players love each other. We hear how the players understand the business side of the sport and also can leave that out of the locker room. Lack of team unity and friction between players, because of players getting paid, is not inevitable. IMHO it’s not even something that we should expect to happen everywhere. Will it happen on SOME teams? Sure. But I don’t expect it to be any more prevalent than it is on current professional teams. It is going to be the coaches job to make sure it doesn’t happen and good coaches will make sure it doesn’t. I don’t see much difference between money jealousy and playing time jealousy. Players are already getting upset about not getting playing time, and that leads to transfers sometimes. That’s happened for years. I don’t see the money part of it being any bigger of a deal. Just my opinion.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    With Free officially back, and McKnight having said so earlier, we really need Claude to show his commitment and do the same. Those 3, with presumably Swain, Green, Powell and Foster give us a base to recruit from. Maybe Hunter as well (even in a limited capacity).

This puts us 2 BIGS and a Shooting SG way from a decent roster. We need something to recruit into. Claude can go a long way towards that.
    I feel pretty good and excited about Maddox. I think Center John Hugley will be a musketeer, too. I also think there’s another couple bigs X is looking at and in the mix for.

Still not sure about Claude

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I feel pretty good and excited about Maddox. I think Center John Hugley will be a musketeer, too. I also think there’s another couple bigs X is looking at and in the mix for.

Still not sure about Claude
    I think Maddox would be a great fit but not sure if we are winning this recruiting battle. I think Hugley will hopefully provide much needed depth in the front court. Similar to Abou last season. Hopefully we are able to get a starting impact Big to go with Hugley.