Page 16 of 154 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

C] if it was deemed legal how long would be before someone broke the rule and paid “under the table”?
    Immediately. Just like before NIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Immediately. Just like before NIL.
    Exactly……so what’s the use?

At least with the NIL it’s (somewhat) out in the open and there can be real competition. Is it a competitive situation where X can hope to compete on a level playing field with EVERY other school? No. But that has always been the case and still X has done rather well. So X has to adapt and find somewhere that they can find an advantage over others. Facilities, exposure, the school itself, relationships, the community, scholastic support, ? Whatever it is. Miller will find players that can play in his system and want to. Some will come and some will go and we will continue to support the school and the program.

One thing to keep in mind is that virtually every other school in the country is dealing with these same problems and questions. X is not alone.

Freshman
    I have heard….not verified and certainly don’t quote me on it, but I’ve heard…..that he feels his value is 500K and that’s what he is asking for.
    Let's go ahead and give Claude $500k and immediately make him the 2nd highest paid "employee" at Xavier. More than the assistant coaches, the AD and the university president. Makes perfect sense to me.

Junior
    Exactly……so what’s the use?
    I have no issue with it. You can build great teams with no where near as much money as some blue bloods. In general, though, I’m not a fan of not having a rule in place because people will just break it.

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    Let's go ahead and give Claude $500k and immediately make him the 2nd highest paid "employee" at Xavier. More than the assistant coaches, the AD and the university president. Makes perfect sense to me.
    Serious question here….

If the rise in the fortunes of Xavier University (donations, endowment, enrollment, etc.) has been driven by the success of the basketball program, then how do we honestly calculate what that success has meant to XU financially and how much do we owe to the forever and current players for that? What would you be willing to spend in order for the basketball program to continue to be successful?

Whatever Claude or any other player is asking for, it’s what they feel they are likely to be able to get based on the current market. IMO nobody is worth $20hr to work at McDonalds, but in some markets that is what it will take to find quality help. Without that quality help the business will fail. If it takes 500K for X to attract quality players then they have the choice of either paying it or settling for lesser quality players and possibly less success. If Xavier feels that they must maintain their basketball success in order for the rest of the business to thrive then they will find a way to pay what it takes to make that happen. It’s not a moral decision, it’s a business decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    As expected, dayvion just announced he’s coming back. Awesome to have him back and second year in millers system
    You can make an argument that he’ll be the top returning PG in BE. Know Posh and Ashworth will be in the conversation.

Based on results this year, I can see a donation to the Xavier collective Final 2% being treated as a donation to a charity.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Based on results this year, I can see a donation to the Xavier collective Final 2% being treated as a donation to a charity.
    10+ comment

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLmickcronin View Post
    This is kind of the crux of the issue with the transfer portal era. How do you build a core? You’re constantly adding the best seniors from mid major teams who are marginally better than your freshmen due to experience and giving them all the minutes. The freshmen don’t develop, they transfer due to playing time, and you rinse and repeat.

I love what Q and McKnight did for this team but for what? 16-18? Awesome. Now most of our freshman and sophomore class are likely leaving. We might as well have just run them out there and gone 12-22 and had something to build on.

If a guy like des leaves it’s very damning. He’s getting a lot of hate that confuses me—- the kid took a huge jump from freshman to sophomore year and most of his mistakes and holes in his game are things he can easily work on. Fact is he and our other guards had to shoulder the entire offensive burden all year. He’s the face of this team over the next couple of years. If you let him walk and replace him with some 23 year old guard from UT San Antonio or something that’s a huge loss in my opinion and keeps this horrible cycle going.
    Q and McKnight were a hell of a lot more than marginally better than any of our freshman, lol. Can you imagine this team without them? Single digit wins.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olsingledigit View Post
    A lot will depend on whether both Free and Hunter stay healthy and how well they play after one or two years off.
    Yeah but the decisions have to be made before that will be known. Miller has to operate with the assumption he doesn't get much if anything from those 2, especially Hunter.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17