Page 9 of 153 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Why do you suppose all the pro leagues have salary caps? So that there is at least a level playing field. It's impossible to run college sports with unlimited compensation.
    As said baseball has no Cap, neither does auto racing in the US. Euro soccer doesn’t but F1 has a spending cap.

NFL has a soft cap only one owner breaks.

It’s a new world. You will also start seeing player enter the portal to shop around for better deals but stay. Asu had this with Jamiya Neal.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    As said baseball has no Cap, neither does auto racing in the US. Euro soccer doesn’t but F1 has a spending cap.

NFL has a soft cap only one owner breaks.

It’s a new world. You will also start seeing player enter the portal to shop around for better deals but stay. Asu had this with Jamiya Neal.
    The nfl has a very hard cap, which is one of the reasons it is so successful

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post

I wonder if coaches are going to allow that? I mean I can see it with someone that is a real impact star type player, but I can also see coaches telling most players that if they go into the portal they won’t be welcomed back. I believe that there were like 1/4 of the kids that went into the portal the last couple of years that never found a new home. So it’s still a bit of a crapshoot for a lot of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Baseball doesn’t have a salary cap, which is part of the reason it’s dying… well that and the analytic dorks
    Baseball has a luxury tax.....so while not a cap, certainly is also a disincentive.

And by the way, the Analytic dorks run the world

Quote Originally Posted by Olsingledigit View Post
    A lot will depend on whether both Free and Hunter stay healthy and how well they play after one or two years off.
    Are we really counting on these guys again? Is it just better for them to stay in college and earn 200K+ than it is to get a real job? Next year will be year 6 for both of them, right?

In addition, can we actually expect them to PLAY? Free's foot has been the Achilles heel of this team (see what I did there), and Hunters Achilles was actually just torn about 6 weeks ago. i would gladly take these guys back if healthy, but I wouldn't PLAN on it. And if they commit to next year, we will be hard pressed to bring in portal guys that may not be assured of any PT.

But it's not really a hard cap in practice. They pay giant signing bonuses that dont count against the cap, unless the player is cut in which case the "unamortized" portion of the bonus hits immediately.

There is nothing firm about the NFL salary cap. It’s a lot of accounting smoke and mirrors, with void years, dead money and all that funny business. You can keep kicking the can down the road, especially if you have deep pockets. The “less wealthy” billionaire owners are actually at a disadvantage due to all the guaranteed money they need to shell out.

Some teams were $40-50 Mil over the cap not long ago, but you restructure some big deals and you are back in business, albeit while dumping some of the more expensive guys. It’s “real”, but not as firm as it sounds on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I wonder if coaches are going to allow that? I mean I can see it with someone that is a real impact star type player, but I can also see coaches telling most players that if they go into the portal they won’t be welcomed back. I believe that there were like 1/4 of the kids that went into the portal the last couple of years that never found a new home. So it’s still a bit of a crapshoot for a lot of kids.
    How would you interpret it if Claude entered the portal? Does that mean hes gone for sure or does it mean that he using the market to get leverage and just plans to come back to XU after they match the best NIL the market offered him. I personally hate that approach, because it limits our ability to improve the team. i would assume the collectives will start structuing the NIL contracts so that if they bring in a guy with 2 years left that they offer 2 years of NIL and lock the guy in for both years unless they mutually agree to part ways. Have a clawback provision in there in case the kid transfers again.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Are we really counting on these guys again? Is it just better for them to stay in college and earn 200K+ than it is to get a real job? Next year will be year 6 for both of them, right?

In addition, can we actually expect them to PLAY? Free's foot has been the Achilles heel of this team (see what I did there), and Hunters Achilles was actually just torn about 6 weeks ago. i would gladly take these guys back if healthy, but I wouldn't PLAN on it. And if they commit to next year, we will be hard pressed to bring in portal guys that may not be assured of any PT.
    I’d be shocked if Sean is moving forward assuming both will be back and both will be the same. He has seen Freemantle working with the team, and I don’t anticipate a drop off in his play. Not sure his foot stays healthy though. I bet sean is just focused on bringing in most talent he can

Junior
    Something that I just thought of....how much do you think Kentucky's roster cost this year? 4-5 million to lose to a team that maybe paid guys 200k total and thats probably on the high side? I bet those donors are thrilled.
    Which is crazy because I thought only the teams that spend the most will win?