Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    this guy is coming in tomorrow:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...2/justin-abson

Very athletic, Defensive presence...shot blocker
    Hmmm. 2.8 blocks a game and only 1.3 fouls. Current Sun Belt defensive POY. Intriguing indeed.

Supporting Member
    Garrison is apparently visiting this weekend too. He’d be a great get! Fingers crossed. Get him and Conwell and keep des and let’s go ahead and start the season.

Sophomore
    Interesting Tweet from Paul Fritschner. I would've thought that Des was definitely coming back by this point. It's getting fairly late in the game.

If he wasn't happy for whatever reason, wouldn't he have already announced he was leaving? Again, if Miller had told him that he wasn't going to see a lot of time at the PG spot, he would've entered his name in the portal? Or, if Miller was recruiting his replacement(s), wouldn't Des have known this some time ago?

At this point I'm thinking both Des and Green will be back - especially if there's no announcement by end of day tomorrow.

Paul Fritschner
    @PaulFritschner
    Dante Maddox Jr. and Marcus Foster have committed to Xavier's backcourt.

The two big decisions now are Ryan Conwell (Indiana State transfer) and Desmond Claude.

Xavier had the 8th most efficient offense in the country in '22-'23. Sky is the limit for next season.

I added the last season points from everyone on the roster as of today (Free & Hunter's 22/23 season). We have over 100 points per game for next season...and we may not be done!

I hope the idea is that everyone gets similar number of possessions but maybe few minutes and we just out run everyone we play. Could be some exciting basketball starting this fall!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblue View Post
    I added the last season points from everyone on the roster as of today (Free & Hunter's 22/23 season). We have over 100 points per game for next season...and we may not be done!

I hope the idea is that everyone gets similar number of possessions but maybe few minutes and we just out run everyone we play. Could be some exciting basketball starting this fall!
    Agreed. I think next years team assuming we keep des and get Connell is going to look an awful lot like this past years bama team. Hopefully they can play a bit of d. But x would certainly outscore people with that roster.

I see the potential in this roster, but we need more.

Caveat. This isn’t the old days where you bring back 3 starters, have a couple rotation guys become starters and then hope your freshmen can provide a few minutes. You don’t “sit” on a core group of guys and wonder what they might do in 2 or 3 years.

In this environment, you put together a new team every year. If you want a final four, then you need that roster right now. I can see it coming together, but we aren’t there yet.

Backcourt seems loaded already, and assuming nobody else comes or goes we are ready for the season. If Comwell comes, then I just have to assume either Green or Dez leaves. And I dont want either of those guys to leave (yearning for the good old days), but if it happens then I think we’re covered.

We NEED Free and Hunter back and healthy. Who knows, though, right? If they ARE back, then 4 is locked down. And a little bit of 3 if we wanna play big with Hunter there.

Still need a piece at 5. Can’t go into a season with one guy. Injuries and other things happen, so need a starting quality guy to come in and shore that up. Harrison or the guy from App St seem to be just what we need.

Last point. Having 8-9-10 deep talent means nothing if you don’t use it. We need a crazy tempo and the ability for all of these guys to get their minutes. No more seasons of Jack Nunge playing 33-34 minutes. 2 deep at every position. 20 minutes each. Team players would buy into that. Play fast enough and 20 minutes is enough.

I said the before, but I believe it more now than ever. Next years success will be determined in April.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I see the potential in this roster, but we need more.

Caveat. This isn’t the old days where you bring back 3 starters, have a couple rotation guys become starters and then hope your freshmen can provide a few minutes. You don’t “sit” on a core group of guys and wonder what they might do in 2 or 3 years.

In this environment, you put together a new team every year. If you want a final four, then you need that roster right now. I can see it coming together, but we aren’t there yet.

Backcourt seems loaded already, and assuming nobody else comes or goes we are ready for the season. If Comwell comes, then I just have to assume either Green or Dez leaves. And I dont want either of those guys to leave (yearning for the good old days), but if it happens then I think we’re covered.

We NEED Free and Hunter back and healthy. Who knows, though, right? If they ARE back, then 4 is locked down. And a little bit of 3 if we wanna play big with Hunter there.

Still need a piece at 5. Can’t go into a season with one guy. Injuries and other things happen, so need a starting quality guy to come in and shore that up. Harrison or the guy from App St seem to be just what we need.

Last point. Having 8-9-10 deep talent means nothing if you don’t use it. We need a crazy tempo and the ability for all of these guys to get their minutes. No more seasons of Jack Nunge playing 33-34 minutes. 2 deep at every position. 20 minutes each. Team players would buy into that. Play fast enough and 20 minutes is enough.

I said the before, but I believe it more now than ever. Next years success will be determined in April.
    I don't think Miller isn't going to all of a sudden play 10 guys a ton of mins 20 years into his head coaching career.

Not to mention there are some guys every year we think will be contributors who just are not for one reason or another.

Miller will probably play a lot of guys early see what combos work who steps up and settle into a rotation of 8 for the bulk of the mins.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

The 1st two parts of this don't jive with the last parts concern about Green leaving. I don't want Green to leave either, but if Miller bringing in as much talent as he can for next season means Green does leave, then I'll take it. Don't pass on talent now because of worry about a younger guy. Those days are over.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Interesting Tweet from Paul Fritschner. I would've thought that Des was definitely coming back by this point. It's getting fairly late in the game.

If he wasn't happy for whatever reason, wouldn't he have already announced he was leaving? Again, if Miller had told him that he wasn't going to see a lot of time at the PG spot, he would've entered his name in the portal? Or, if Miller was recruiting his replacement(s), wouldn't Des have known this some time ago?

At this point I'm thinking both Des and Green will be back - especially if there's no announcement by end of day tomorrow.

Paul Fritschner
    @PaulFritschner
    Dante Maddox Jr. and Marcus Foster have committed to Xavier's backcourt.

The two big decisions now are Ryan Conwell (Indiana State transfer) and Desmond Claude.

Xavier had the 8th most efficient offense in the country in '22-'23. Sky is the limit for next season.
    Has until May 1st. Agents have been circling the wagon to try to get him a better situation in exchange for representation. Obviously they haven’t yet and even if they do, doesn’t mean he willl leave. However he’s keeping his options open, which I don’t blame him. I’d like to think if we hear nothing tomorrrow he’s staying but i dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Has until May 1st. Agents have been circling the wagon to try to get him a better situation in exchange for representation. Obviously they haven’t yet and even if they do, doesn’t mean he willl leave. However he’s keeping his options open, which I don’t blame him. I’d like to think if we hear nothing tomorrrow he’s staying but i dunno.
    I'm guessing Des would have to take a step down to get a guaranteed spot on a team as the starting PG. I love Des and don't want him to leave. Think he is very good player, but there is a reason he isn't X's PG and at best I guess he could hope for a lateral move for that guarantee, where if he transferred somewhere to play what he plays for us, he could probably go almost anywhere.