Page 11 of 153 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Wait, so not having a cap ruined baseball?

And yet I’ve been arguing for 3 years that NIL will ruin college basketball and I’m met with hostile disagreement. Got it.
    No, analytics.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    No, analytics.
    That’s an even weirder take.

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    Dwon Odom in the portal. Sorry if this was posted elsewhere.
    Hmmm. I suggested that Miller ran him off and a contingent of people said that wasn’t true because he was just following Hayes…..who he just bailed on.

Full circle? Would you take Dwon back in a specific role

Supporting Member
    That’s an even weirder take.
    Not really, but let’s not derail the thread.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLmickcronin View Post
    This is kind of the crux of the issue with the transfer portal era. How do you build a core? You’re constantly adding the best seniors from mid major teams who are marginally better than your freshmen due to experience and giving them all the minutes. The freshmen don’t develop, they transfer due to playing time, and you rinse and repeat.

I love what Q and McKnight did for this team but for what? 16-18? Awesome. Now most of our freshman and sophomore class are likely leaving. We might as well have just run them out there and gone 12-22 and had something to build on.

If a guy like des leaves it’s very damning. He’s getting a lot of hate that confuses me—- the kid took a huge jump from freshman to sophomore year and most of his mistakes and holes in his game are things he can easily work on. Fact is he and our other guards had to shoulder the entire offensive burden all year. He’s the face of this team over the next couple of years. If you let him walk and replace him with some 23 year old guard from UT San Antonio or something that’s a huge loss in my opinion and keeps this horrible cycle going.
    I think you have hit on Miller's really difficult challenge for next year. I heard him say on his radio show how critical it is to have continuity in the roster. Then, on a different occasion, I heard him say that X would never again lack the roster depth we did this season. But the two can be contradictory can't they? We've got Free and Hunter coming back (right now) but we cannot be assured either will contribute (if at all) in the same manner as the past. So, we've got to out a get replacements not knowing how much those replacements will play. So, who from the portal, is going to sign up for that? And, as we are seeing, some of the freshmen are moving on, presumably in anticipation of lack of playing time next year. There goes the continuity.

I totally get it that we need to rebuild the roster but this is a tough one. I can live with Ciani moving on but regret seeing Nzeh leave.

Miller is walking a tightrope. It is going to be difficult to bring in a quality "4" and "5" under these circumstances. And, even if successful, we could be facing a total lack of veteran talent in 2025.

Hunter is not a threat to be starter next year imo. I think you’re hoping he can come off the bench at some point, probably later in the year.

Free is a threat to start but will likely be on a pitch count. Lots of minutes are available either way.

Freshman
    How would you interpret it if Claude entered the portal? Does that mean hes gone for sure or does it mean that he using the market to get leverage and just plans to come back to XU after they match the best NIL the market offered him. I personally hate that approach, because it limits our ability to improve the team. i would assume the collectives will start structuing the NIL contracts so that if they bring in a guy with 2 years left that they offer 2 years of NIL and lock the guy in for both years unless they mutually agree to part ways. Have a clawback provision in there in case the kid transfers again.
    I don’t think they can let Claude enter the Portal. It is too destabilizing. He has tremendous leverage to get a 2 year deal. Is there anyone here who doubts his two year value is $700,000 to a million.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Fan View Post
    I don’t think they can let Claude enter the Portal. It is too destabilizing. He has tremendous leverage to get a 2 year deal. Is there anyone here who doubts his two year value is $700,000 to a million.
    If he shoots 33-35% from 3 next year, he’s a draft pick. So, I wouldn’t be offering a two year deal. I have zero idea of how much he’s worth because none of it is transparent which is one issue with this collective nonsense.

Junior
    I think teams that have the most to spend AND have a plan for how to spend it will have a significant competitive advantage.

Besides Cal, who is clueless about X's & O's, how many above average coaches would have lost that game yesterday if they had UK's roster. Miller would have won. Mack would have won. Steele would have......nevermind.
    Haha well played

Quote Originally Posted by A Fan View Post
    I have heard….not verified and certainly don’t quote me on it, but I’ve heard…..that he feels his value is 500K and that’s what he is asking for. I’d guess that the players do talk among themselves and he has a pretty good idea what others say they are getting at their schools. Will he get that much? Who knows. Can the NIL program foot that kind of bill? I have no idea, but I kinda doubt that they can pay out that much to any one player. Is he worth that much? Can’t say but I’ve been watching the NCAA transfer portal pretty closely and I’ve seen a fair number of players with similar season wise averages go into the portal. I’d hate to lose him but I’d guess that if he does enter the portal it’s with the knowledge that X couldn’t come up with the money he wants.