Page 61 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
    Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Except Miller wasn’t coaching XU during the NIT. And he had no contact prohibitions.

So……
    Whoops! Haha, well played.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    You are completely missing the point. How did you get this out of what anyone said?
    No kidding I donÂ’t get your point. The only points you guys seem to make is that it is unrealistic for Sean Miller to bring in depth in the front court and Free might be turned away if we do bring in guys. The facts are that Xavier only has two front court players currently on the roster and both havenÂ’t played basketball for a year+ and no one knows if either will be able to participate throughout the season. Correct? Why is it unrealistic to bring in 3 post during the portal? We need that many to have depth for the upcoming season (Practice, foul trouble, injuries). Last year should have been a wake call of the importance of depth in the front court. So letÂ’s say you and Xville are right and Miller can only bring in 2 front court guys. Are you happy with having 4 front court guys next season with two trying to come back from potential career altering injuries? ThatÂ’s a lot to risk from a team that just came off its worst season in modern history. I am sure Miller learned his lesson from last season and will right the ship.

There is always going to be uncertainty. That's what puts the Madness into March. I'm thinking; "That's why they play the games."

I keep hearing stuff about Miller being or not being able to promise players minutes. I'm pretty sure he has never and hopefully will never make any such guarantee. I can certainly see him alluding to the aforementioned uncertainty.

"We really like your game and think you would fit our program and our needs. We are going to play hard and fast and that requires a quality rotation at all positions, especially in our frontcourt. We see you as a crucial part of that. There is always some uncertainty about the availability and durability of certain players on every team. Particularly with our style of play, we have an even greater need to maintain the health and vitality of our players. Returning to and maintaining the high level of play needed in the best most competitive conference in college basketball is always going to be a challenge. I am not in the business of guaranteeing minutes to any present or future player. The cream is going to rise to the top. That is what I can guarantee. Anyone who is ready to play, ready to compete at the highest level expected in the Big East, to maintain and continually build on that quality of team play, the grit, consistency and determination we see in you, will play. That I can promise.

We are going to build something great here at Xavier. We want this to be the best team in the great history of a storied program in the best conference. We are building competitors. We are building winners. How big a part of that do you want to be?"
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    No kidding I donÂ’t get your point. The only points you guys seem to make is that it is unrealistic for Sean Miller to bring in depth in the front court and Free might be turned away if we do bring in guys. The facts are that Xavier only has two front court players currently on the roster and both havenÂ’t played basketball for a year+ and no one knows if either will be able to participate throughout the season. Correct? Why is it unrealistic to bring in 3 post during the portal? We need that many to have depth for the upcoming season (Practice, foul trouble, injuries). Last year should have been a wake call of the importance of depth in the front court. So letÂ’s say you and Xville are right and Miller can only bring in 2 front court guys. Are you happy with having 4 front court guys next season with two trying to come back from potential career altering injuries? ThatÂ’s a lot to risk from a team that just came off its worst season in modern history. I am sure Miller learned his lesson from last season and will right the ship.
    It’s not unrealistic to bring in THREE post players……unless you think it’s realistic to bring 3 Top Quality Big East Ready post players. THAT is unrealistic. Especially when you realize that Xavier has never brought in even ONE of those players that everyone knew was a slam dunk from the start. If history is any indication of what to expect in the future, it’s unrealistic to expect a big change overnight. They might…might…get One (It’s reported that X has reached out to around 20 at this point) that can come in and compete with the best that the BE has to offer. But for various reasons (many of which others have pointed out) it’s unrealistic to expect them to get 3.

Sure, IDEALLY they would get some kind of 3-headed monster that would allow them to substitute freely and see no drop off in talent. But that’s in an ideal world. Not a realistic one. If it was easy as some seem to think it is, everyone would do it. Can you name me even ONE team that has 3 top quality bigs? Almost EVERY team in the country is looking for a top quality big and you expect X to land 3? Just because they need them doesn’t mean they are going to get them. Nobody is denying that they NEED more. We are only saying that it’s unrealistic to EXPECT it. They may well being in 3 bigs (I hope they do and wouldn’t be shocked if it happens), but at least one of them I would expect to more of a depth piece that has project written all over him. I really expect 2 posts and 2-3 that are more power forward/small forward type players. They still need at least one good shooting guard too.

Excuse my ignorance (I am a UCGrad) but some of the discussion here and elsewhere include how much NIL$$$ Xavier has or doesn't have, and what Miller can offer a certain player, present or future.

There is also discussion about how a player is going somewhere because they have been offered a certain amount or because a school has a certain amount in their NIL war chest.

First, how do we know about any of these numbers? Who is in charge of the money? Who has the authority to distribute, how much, to whom and in what structure?

Then, if little to none of this is under the authority on the university and, more importantly, the coach, how exactly is Sean going to negotiate this with a prospective player? My guess is he really can't (or can he?). So, what would that look or sound like (theoretically)?

This is such a huge topic of discussion and debate in many all of these threads. It is hard to have any kind of input into the back and forth without any understanding of the real mechanics. Maybe it is because "no one really knows" that drives a lot of the division (divisiveness).

Honestly, I see so much hostility, which I suppose is somewhat understandable considering the promise of Miller's return and the subsequent historic downturn. With and the general uncertainty of this brave new world of college sports (NIL, transferability, conference implosion/explosion, etc), I'm hoping some of you more reality based posters can educate me.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Excuse my ignorance (I am a UCGrad) but some of the discussion here and elsewhere include how much NIL$$$ Xavier has or doesn't have, and what Miller can offer a certain player, present or future.

There is also discussion about how a player is going somewhere because they have been offered a certain amount or because a school has a certain amount in their NIL war chest.

First, how do we know about any of these numbers? Who is in charge of the money? Who has the authority to distribute, how much, to whom and in what structure?

Then, if little to none of this is under the authority on the university and, more importantly, the coach, how exactly is Sean going to negotiate this with a prospective player? My guess is he really can't (or can he?). So, what would that look or sound like (theoretically)?

This is such a huge topic of discussion and debate in many all of these threads. It is hard to have any kind of input into the back and forth without any understanding of the real mechanics. Maybe it is because "no one really knows" that drives a lot of the division (divisiveness).

Honestly, I see so much hostility, which I suppose is somewhat understandable considering the promise of Miller's return and the subsequent historic downturn. With and the general uncertainty of this brave new world of college sports (NIL, transferability, conference implosion/explosion, etc), I'm hoping some of you more reality based posters can educate me.
    Maybe a partial (and not so good) answer:

Rick Broering
    @RickBroering
    An issue I've heard brought up by multiple friends who are on CBB staffs:

Boosters who are giving a lot of money to NIL are becoming increasingly brazen about their role in recruiting the transfer portal. Some going as far as saying they need to approve all transfers.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post

(1). How much money does Xavier’s collective have to pay the players.
    If any poster knows they have not said. We do believe a large donor pledged a $ 500 K match to jump start the collective and posters have speculated that it now has on hand $2M + to pay players
    .(2). Will the collective always have on hand $ 2M + plus every year to pay players ?
    No one knows.But it is believed they must to be competitive .
    (3). What are the mechanics as to how the players get paid and who decides
    The coach decides and the peeps who manage the collective work out the term’s with the player and or his agent. The university , other than as described above) has no role. The collective concept was a contraption created to pay players who the NCAA said could not be paid. But since the NCAA created this mess by not acceding to some compensation system that if implemented might have avoided the mess, they are standing down.

Freshman
    No where is it written that the large contributors to the Collectives can’t call the shots. Is there any one on this Board who ( hypothetically ) contributed $500 K to a collective who would not be pissed if the Collective paid out his money to a player he and “ his advisors” said was average?

Supporting Member
    It’s cute that Rick somehow thinks this is something new. Welcome to the 1980s rick

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    It’s cute that Rick somehow thinks this is something new. Welcome to the 1980s rick
    Xavier has reached out to Hofstra guard Darlinstone Dubar.