Page 37 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    In my case, not the slightest bit true. I always read what Hettel thinks and he has become the board's quant. Nor do I mind views contrary to my own. I'm just saying that we are only a week into the portal and already our first get is labeled a disappointment. We should all let this play out.

I expect Miller to bring in more from the portal but I also think he will add a young "big", somebody with talent and physical prowess who can assist in providing the continuity Miller believes the program needs.
    I said adding Foster was underwhelming. And i said "meh." I further said that if he's a rotation guy then its actually a really good pickup. Although it seems like these are individual moves, its all about the collection of moves and how the pieces fit.

Losing Q is the biggest piece we have to replace and he was our primary deep shooter. he made the most 3s ever in a season for Xavier, and took a disproportionate number of the attempts. Quincy took 66 more 3's than Boum did the prior year and played 3 less games. Q took more 3s than Trevon did as a Senior.

Quincy's deep shooting was the STRONGEST part of our team this year. So thats now the piece that is missing. So plug in a 30% shooter to take all of those shots, and thats 28 less made threes. 84 points.

Not a good shooting team. Lose you best shooter. replace with below average shooter. And I'm being negative because those 3 statements are true?

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Yep. Lazar has the most potential out of any of them imo. Even if he leaves, which I doubt at this point and called, then I’m pretty sure backup center/forward is still not going to be a major concern.
    Lazar is a 4, and not a 5. And he didnt do anything well. Not one thing.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I said adding Foster was underwhelming. And i said "meh." I further said that if he's a rotation guy then its actually a really good pickup. Although it seems like these are individual moves, its all about the collection of moves and how the pieces fit.

Losing Q is the biggest piece we have to replace and he was our primary deep shooter. he made the most 3s ever in a season for Xavier, and took a disproportionate number of the attempts. Quincy took 66 more 3's than Boum did the prior year and played 3 less games. Q took more 3s than Trevon did as a Senior.

Quincy's deep shooting was the STRONGEST part of our team this year. So thats now the piece that is missing. So plug in a 30% shooter to take all of those shots, and thats 28 less made threes. 84 points.

Not a good shooting team. Lose you best shooter. replace with below average shooter. And I'm being negative because those 3 statements are true?
    Yes, “collection of moves”… so heed your own advice and wait for the other moves before criticizing this one.

You also complained about his ranking as if that means something. He is an 89, same as Quincy was.

Supporting Member
    Lazar is a 4, and not a 5. And he didnt do anything well. Not one thing.
    Sure bud. Lazar is 6’10 and about 240 with a very wide frame, and has plenty of skill to develop and backup a 5 if need be. He played that against Marquette and did a respectable job against oso considering he’s a potential 1st round, certainly 2nd round nba draft pick . Sorry you didn’t see the development the last 5-6 games, most did.
    Last edited by Xville; 03-27-2024 at 06:28 PM.

Another way to look at is to have several players that are capable of shooting well from the outside and not just one person. 24/7 has a breakdown on our newest player that shows that when taking set 3 pointers from the left and right wings he shot them at a 45-52% rate, and often got them when on a fast break. Where and when a player is effective is just as important as overall effectiveness, as he was less effective from other parts the floor and under other circumstances. Miller will do his best to put into places and times where he can be most effective. That’s all part of coaching and developing a game plan. As you point out, Olivari made the most 3 pointers in a season that any X player had ever done (including Tre whose jersey everyone wants retired). They’re going to be very hard pressed to find another single player that can do that. But they may find 2 that together can do it. Based on his numbers, he appears to be a very good wing shooter. You know who isn’t? Every other player on the current roster. Now they will try to land someone that can hit consistently from the top of the key and/or the corners. This is all about building a roster of players that complement each other and thus building a Team.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    My question to this board after reading the comments today is what are your expectations for the upcoming season? Where do you think Xavier should finish next season? Do you expect this team to make the NCAA tournament? NIT? What are your bare minimum expectations?

We are coming off the worst season in recent memory. We have been misfortune due to injuries and poor front court recruiting. My expectations are for this team to compete near the top of the Big East and make the NCAA tournament…
    Normally, I would agree the minimum expectation is always to make the tournament. That’s how gross this season was. I would say I am hopefully optimistic we make the tournament next year, but I’m not expecting it. Despite our great season last year, I am afraid we are in complete rebuild mode from that Steele shit show. I think we all agree how fortunate we are to have Sean right now. Can you imagine if we were counting on Steele, or some new mid-major hire to clean up this mess? We should count our lucky star. I mean think about it, if Sean did not become available, and Steele made the tournament last year, we would be stuck with him in perpetuity.

Now, i’m tired of any chatter about *realistic* expectations of the kinds of guys we can compete for. That’s not why we brought Sean back. Time for him to flex some muscle, and bring in some goddamn talent!
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    I think it would be strange that he would want to play 15 minutes per game at any of those places. If X were offering him a limited role, while Indiana and Cal Were offering him a starting position, then yes, I would think he would’ve chosen Indiana or Cal.
    I’m also seeing Arkansas, Texas Tech and Gonzaga were in talks with him as well. You could be right, I’m just sort of seeing X is reaching out to a lot of guards and wings still, so I wouldn’t be surprised if someone else comes in as well. Someone that could be better. Who knows, we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Another way to look at is to have several players that are capable of shooting well from the outside and not just one person. 24/7 has a breakdown on our newest player that shows that when taking set 3 pointers from the left and right wings he shot them at a 45-52% rate, and often got them when on a fast break. Where and when a player is effective is just as important as overall effectiveness, as he was less effective from other parts the floor and under other circumstances. Miller will do his best to put into places and times where he can be most effective. That’s all part of coaching and developing a game plan. As you point out, Olivari made the most 3 pointers in a season that any X player had ever done (including Tre whose jersey everyone wants retired). They’re going to be very hard pressed to find another single player that can do that. But they may find 2 that together can do it. Based on his numbers, he appears to be a very good wing shooter. You know who isn’t? Every other player on the current roster. Now they will try to land someone that can hit consistently from the top of the key and/or the corners. This is all about building a roster of players that complement each other and thus building a Team.
    We need a shooter that can create his own shot off the bounce. Green showed that he can do it, but his size and the presence of McKnight may keep him off the floor. You cant just have a shooter stand in the corner and wait until the ball finds him while he's open. Well actually you CAN have a guy like that, but he better not be one of your main ballhandlers.

BTW, the Furman TEAM took 988 three attempts this year. 5th in the country.

X also has 4 more transfers to add. #1 Foster is a a good scorer but not an Olivari type shooter. Miller constatntly harped on poor rebounding. This Foster guard is pretty darn good at rebounding. He likely will make a ton of threes.
    The production from the frontcourt will be hugely improved . That also helps shooters shooting #s.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    Normally, I would agree the minimum expectation is always to make the tournament. That’s how gross this season was. I would say I am hopefully optimistic we make the tournament next year, but I’m not expecting it. Despite our great season last year, I am afraid we are in complete rebuild mode from that Steele shit show. I think we all agree how fortunate we are to have Sean right now. Can you imagine if we were counting on Steele, or some new mid-major hire to clean up this mess? We should count our lucky star. I mean think about it, if Sean did not become available, and Steele made the tournament last year, we would be stuck with him in perpetuity.

Now, i’m tired of any chatter about *realistic* expectations of the kinds of guys we can compete for. That’s not why we brought Sean back. Time for him to flex some muscle, and bring in some goddamn talent!
    We all anticipate some good additions to Sean’s roster. And in 30 days we can evaluate our completed lineup in comparison to other teams within the conference. But the impact of the 20-game schedule became evident when considering the NET-based NCAA
    selection process this year, which only saw three teams from the Big East make the cut. If the NET continues to influence selection, it wouldn’t be surprising to witness a similar outcome next year, with the possibility of three or four teams making it. For those using reaching the NCAAs as their satisfaction benchmark, there’s a chance for disappointment, even if the season proves to be a successful rebuilding year. To me being a top 5 team in the Big East wil be a great achevement regardless of not making the tourney.