Page 97 of 156 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Haven't you learned you cannot present facts and quotes and stats to Hett when debating this topic? Only conjecture, opinion, fear, and dismay are applicable.
    So excited to see his spin on this one

I find it ironic that Paypal Cal and UK would pass on Pearl and Miller because of "various reasons". Co'worker's nephew played at UK for 2 years under Cal. I know exactly how much he got paid. I do not believe Miller/Pearl were not interviewed for past transgressions.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    I find it ironic that Paypal Cal and UK would pass on Pearl and Miller because of "various reasons". Co'worker's nephew played at UK for 2 years under Cal. I know exactly how much he got paid. I do not believe Miller/Pearl were not interviewed for past transgressions.
    Barnhart is a bible thumper who likes the illusion of being “clean.” He didn’t want to hire cal because of baggage. He basically got told you will hire him or you’re fired. This time he didn’t give an f. It’s why Drew was the first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Barnhart is a bible thumper who likes the illusion of being “clean.” He didn’t want to hire cal because of baggage. He basically got told you will hire him or you’re fired. This time he didn’t give an f. It’s why Drew was the first pick.
    Honestly a relatively big gamble from him too, if Pope's tenure goes south, I see him getting axe'd as well as it seems he was the one really pushing for this to happen (granted that's a rumor)

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I thought players deserved more freedom to move around, and I don’t mind them being paid. Unfortunately, the resulting product is something I care for much less than the old fashion roster building we were used to.
    Agreed wholeheartedly, the NCAA never thought this could happen and had absolutely zero plan in place on how to tackle it. The amount of income some of these guys generate for a university is insane, I do think they should get compensated for that, and you should have a choice to move schools as well. If a regular student can transfer 60 times, I can understand how it's unfair for athletes to have strict guidelines in place. All I know is navigating this process now must be one helluva headache, I don't think it's a coincidence a lot of the legends in coaching have been walking away in basketball and football both recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    It’s tough. I honestly think the only way to slow it down is the transfer rule again. Being able to freely transfer is as big a part as NIL. Just like before, a cap does next to nothing. Matt Painter said it’s always been happening it was just illegal before.

Anyways, X is in on a handful of really solid players. Who knows where it ends up, I am cautiously excited about what the team could look like next year
    Yeah, I like the transfer rule being in place, however special circumstances should still be honored. The only thing is the NCAA is absolutely garbage at deciphering that, like that case with that VT football player who applied for a waiver because he transferred back home because his mother GOT BRAIN CANCER and wanted to be closer to home.. the logic that organization uses is so maddening. Another way (though illegal right now) I thought of is tying NIL to multi-year deals, may help with some of the roster parity, but I don't even know how to begin to regulate that in a fair way either.

My opinion is you tackle it two fold.

Portal get hit with a 1 free transfer with no sitting out. Second is on your and you sit. No more graduate transfers leave and play right away. Hardship transfers are case by case or you leave the graduate rule in place and eliminate hardship transfers entirely. I read too many hardship requests that are ridiculous.

NIL is tricky, you can't cap it because that is anti-free market. Two year deals would lock in a player that might be a headache or just not good. It would also make college sports even more professional in appearance. I think the NIL stuff could be left alone and allow the "market" to sort itself out. Kids will ask for 1.5M or whatever, not get it, and suddenly find themselves without a roster spot or at a school they don't want to play. If you insert better transfer rules, NIL can fix itself with just market forces.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    My opinion is you tackle it two fold.

Portal get hit with a 1 free transfer with no sitting out. Second is on your and you sit. No more graduate transfers leave and play right away. Hardship transfers are case by case or you leave the graduate rule in place and eliminate hardship transfers entirely. I read too many hardship requests that are ridiculous.

NIL is tricky, you can't cap it because that is anti-free market. Two year deals would lock in a player that might be a headache or just not good. It would also make college sports even more professional in appearance. I think the NIL stuff could be left alone and allow the "market" to sort itself out. Kids will ask for 1.5M or whatever, not get it, and suddenly find themselves without a roster spot or at a school they don't want to play. If you insert better transfer rules, NIL can fix itself with just market forces.
    I agree with everything you said about the transfer portal. Great call.

NIL I dunno. I think the top guys that are asking for that money, have been getting that kind of money for a long time now even before NIL. Not sure that's ever going to change if you don't put some kind of guardrails up, to at least try to reign it in a bit.

Would it be possible to have a salary cap for every p6 team with transparent numbers? That's what I'd like to see. You're going to have some cheating probably, but at least there is something,? I dunno. Its tough.
    Last edited by Xville; 04-12-2024 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Matt Painter:

“Nil wasn’t put in place so the schools with the most money could get the best players. But, if you want to be honest, that was happening before.”

Mic drop.
    My bad, I thought you were referring to this quote….

Why couldn't the NCAA/NIL implement contracts, if they are getting paid to play, that essentially makes them professionals anyway. Have them sign contracts for 1,2,3 years etc. That locks player to school and school to player for that timeline.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    My bad, I thought you were referring to this quote….
    yeah he said that one too...since ya know, it's the same quote without the additional illegal word in it.