Page 17 of 153 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    From our old buddy, Ben Johnson, regarding the portal and postseason play.

“The hardest part about it is the longer you play, the longer you don’t know what your roster is going to look like, so you (looking) are in the portal, but you are kind of in the portal guessing to a certain extent, unless you know you have open scholarships already,” Johnson said…

…Johnson credited his coaching and support staff for being on top of both objectives this week.

“It’s just what you got to do,” Johnson said. “We will put together the necessary time needed to do both.”

https://www.inforum.com/sports/colle...t-years-roster
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Serious question here….

If the rise in the fortunes of Xavier University (donations, endowment, enrollment, etc.) has been driven by the success of the basketball program, then how do we honestly calculate what that success has meant to XU financially and how much do we owe to the forever and current players for that? What would you be willing to spend in order for the basketball program to continue to be successful?

Whatever Claude or any other player is asking for, it’s what they feel they are likely to be able to get based on the current market. IMO nobody is worth $20hr to work at McDonalds, but in some markets that is what it will take to find quality help. Without that quality help the business will fail. If it takes 500K for X to attract quality players then they have the choice of either paying it or settling for lesser quality players and possibly less success. If Xavier feels that they must maintain their basketball success in order for the rest of the business to thrive then they will find a way to pay what it takes to make that happen. It’s not a moral decision, it’s a business decision.
    You mention making the basketball players the highest paid members of the university is a “ business decision. “ Which begs the question of what “ business” Xavier is in. At one time it was in the” education business “. And I guess what you are saying is that to remain in “that business” you need to elevate athletics over education .Many would find that paying students to play basketball more than all of the professors is a seismic shift in culture and values.
    Just sayin.

Supporting Member
    Well the university is paying the teachers, fans are paying the players so who cares.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A Fan View Post
    You mention making the basketball players the highest paid members of the university is a “ business decision. “ Which begs the question of what “ business” Xavier is in. At one time it was in the” education business “. And I guess what you are saying is that to remain in “that business” you need to elevate athletics over education .Many would find that paying students to play basketball more than all of the professors is a seismic shift in culture and values.
    Just sayin.
    Really? Have teachers at Xavier always been paid on par or better than Miller, Steele, Mack, Matta, Prosser, and Gillen?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Athletes are entertainers. What’s a Zach Eady worth? Or Kolek, or Tristan Newton, etc

Many would find that paying students to play basketball more than all of the professors is a seismic shift in culture and values.
    Just sayin.
    It is what it is, or as I tell my wife, I don’t make the weather I just report it.

If Xavier wants to compete, really compete, at the upper level of college sports they are going to have to do what it takes. I’m sure they had the same discussion when they decided to build the Cintas Center before building new academic buildings. I’m equally sure that there were (are) professors that think spending money on sports is not the right thing to do. But I’d say that the money that Xavier has spent on its athletics programs has been a pretty good investment in its financial outlook.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Really? Have teachers at Xavier always been paid on par or better than Miller, Steele, Mack, Matta, Prosser, and Gillen?
    I did not know that group were students.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Q and McKnight were a hell of a lot more than marginally better than any of our freshman, lol. Can you imagine this team without them? Single digit wins.
    Can you imagine our team WITH them? 16-18 one of the worst Xavier teams in 25 years. As a fan I love Q. Seems like a great kid, brought awesome energy, etc. but for what? 16-18? And now all the guys that sat will transfer and we’ll have a new Q (if we’re lucky) next year and new dayvion and we’ll go 16-18 again?

Just sayin.
    Fair enough point but you took the time to make a user name and comment on a basketball team message board. If they decide to go the route of focusing on education and not prioritizing these players like other major universities then we honestly need to move conferences and join a mid major or lower. And I’m not passing judgment on that if that’s your opinion but then we can stop worrying about basketball completely

Quote Originally Posted by LOLmickcronin View Post
    Can you imagine our team WITH them? 16-18 one of the worst Xavier teams in 25 years. As a fan I love Q. Seems like a great kid, brought awesome energy, etc. but for what? 16-18? And now all the guys that sat will transfer and we’ll have a new Q (if we’re lucky) next year and new dayvion and we’ll go 16-18 again?
    It *might kind of help if Xavier doesn’t have season ending injuries to their main two front line guys and that something less than 75% of your entire point total comes from 3 guards.
    What a ludicrous post above.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell