Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member

Xavier's 2024 Offseason

I know that the season technically isn't over, but for all intents and purposes, it is. I think we can all agree that this offseason is a pivotal one for the Xavier basketball program. So, I figured we needed a catch all thread to discuss the portal and the makeup of the roster going into the 24-25 season.

Here is my hope for roster construction:

PG Mcknight
    SG Transfer
    SF Claude
    PF Free
    C Legit Transfer

Bench: Swain, Green, Nzeh, Powell, Djokovic, Abou

Personally, I don't care about the rest.

Hard to argue

Also going to be hard to keep Green around IMHO. Is he willing to earn more PT and be a role player or does he want a starting spot in a less competitive conference?

Hunter missing?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    Hunter missing?
    Honestly, like the coaching staff, I look at it as if he won’t be able to play. If he can, great but shouldn’t be counted on for anything. Free even should be treated that way, but as of now he hasn’t had a setback “knock on wood” for almost a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Honestly, like the coaching staff, I look at it as if he won’t be able to play. If he can, great but shouldn’t be counted on for anything. Free even should be treated that way, but as of now he hasn’t had a setback “knock on wood” for almost a year now.
    He had a setback in August when he broke it again. He hasn't had a setback since then because he hasn't done anything. He just got cleared for practice in the last month or so.

I’d let lazar go. Of the other players on your list, I could see keeping each of them individually on a case by case basis, but collectively, that squad looks an awful lot this the team we had this year. Do you really want to run it again with that group.

We need a stud SG, and we’ve struck gold twice in the portal. So we really expect that we will get that lucky for the third time? We also need a high quality starting center, one that can do much more than just be big.

I think your roster will suffer from lack of shooting, which was a huge problem this year.

I also think I’d take Abou back under 2 conditions. He’s a backup, and ZERO NIL. Ciani can be the backup just as capably, and he’s not eligible for NIL.

NIL money needs to be used on starters

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdiggins View Post
    He had a setback in August when he broke it again. He hasn't had a setback since then because he hasn't done anything. He just got cleared for practice in the last month or so.
    That's right. For some reason I was thinking the third surgery was in the spring but completely wrong. All have said that this surgery was more successful, but to your point, we shall see.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I’d let lazar go. Of the other players on your list, I could see keeping each of them individually on a case by case basis, but collectively, that squad looks an awful lot this the team we had this year. Do you really want to run it again with that group.

We need a stud SG, and we’ve struck gold twice in the portal. So we really expect that we will get that lucky for the third time? We also need a high quality starting center, one that can do much more than just be big.

I think your roster will suffer from lack of shooting, which was a huge problem this year.

I also think I’d take Abou back under 2 conditions. He’s a backup, and ZERO NIL. Ciani can be the backup just as capably, and he’s not eligible for NIL.

I feel comfortable running it back with that group with the additions of a legitimate center and either a healthy Free or legitimate 4. Without those, it doesn't matter who you put in the 1-3 slots.

With a legitimate frontcourt, imo shooting will be fine.

I'm really not concerned with finding a legit 2. They are a dime a dozen in the portal...Miller will get one of those.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I’d let lazar go..

The Eye on College basketball pod has said quite often that teams are finding work arounds to pay international players. I suspect that’s the case at Xavier, too.

Only paying starters is insane. Goodbye Green/swain/Powell/Abou.

The rumors are X has 2 million to work with, and Sean wanted that to get up to 3 next year which is the goal.

All-Conference
    We need at least 2, probably 3, upgrades that can play Big East ball on day 1. Would love to have another legit PF.

AND pray that Powell is a freshman that can contribute immediately. He has Big East size. Hoping he's good enough to be the 1A or 1B SG.

I'd keep Green, but as a weapon off the bench. Will he accept that? No clue.
    Last edited by drudy23; 03-08-2024 at 10:11 AM.