Freshman

Portal frenzy 2024

The transfer portal is set to open in 19 days, on Monday, March 18, 2024, and will run until May 16, 2024, marking 45 days of intense activity. Last year, over 1800 players entered the portal, triggering a frenzy as schools scrambled to retain their players and bid for new talent.

Since most posters are “ pseudo coaches” who have their own roster favorites and a firm idea as to the type of player Xavier should add , everyone can create their own hypothetical, but to kick things off, this hypothetical assumes $ 2M to spend and the intent to acquire , if available, a sharpshooting 3 , and a Big East worthy 4 and 5 .

This hypothetical allocates $1M for the 3 desired position players and $1M to the current roster . With respect to Freemantle and Hunter their health and ability to play will not be fully known when the portal closes on May 16. Given the misery each has endured trying to play Xavier basketball, If either ends up playing to the level we have seen , they should be treated fairly, recognizing they would be among the most valuable players in this years portal if they were healthy . This hypothetical provides a set aside for them based on minutes played.

Roster Allocation. $1M. This allocation reflects an assessment of each player’s potential contribution to the team AND their market value should they enter the portal. It is assumed the foreign players are on a F1 visa and not currently elgible to be paid.

Desmond Claude: $175,000
    Dailyn Swain: $125,000
    Dayvion McKnight: $150,000
    Trey Green . $100,000
    Abou Ousmane: $50,000
    Kachi Nzeh: $50,000
    Zach Freemantle : $ 200,000. Variable based on minutes played.
    Jerome Hunter: $175,000. Variable based on minutes played.
    Saša Ciani: Not eligible
    Kam Craft: Zero
    Bob Nunge: Zero
    Reid Ducharme: Zero
    Brad Colbert: Zero
    Ian Sabourin: Not eligible
    Lazar Djokovic: Not eligible

Junior
    I guess no one knows how much X has in NIL. I thought I saw somewhere it was 2 million for this years team. But it’s all speculation, if you’re going to project, percentages over dollar value may be easier. Couple notes- in no way will Osman and Nzeh be the same $. And the original issue of paying foreign players is no longer an issue with all the work arounds. (What those work arounds are, I don’t know, but I hear it all the time when discussing NIL for foreign guys).

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I guess no one knows how much X has in NIL. I thought I saw somewhere it was 2 million for this years team. But it’s all speculation, if you’re going to project, percentages over dollar value may be easier. Couple notes- in no way will Osman and Nzeh be the same $. And the original issue of paying foreign players is no longer an issue with all the work arounds. (What those work arounds are, I don’t know, but I hear it all the time when discussing NIL for foreign guys).
    Just a note…..I’ve talked with some of the people involved in the final 2% NIL and they are adamant that the foreign players are not eligible for any of the money in that fund….per IRS rules, not NCAA rules. There may well be a way for them to receive funds from some source, but it’s not through the final 2% program.

No one wants to run afoul of the IRS.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Just a note…..I’ve talked with some of the people involved in the final 2% NIL and they are adamant that the foreign players are not eligible for any of the money in that fund….per IRS rules, not NCAA rules. There may well be a way for them to receive funds from some source, but it’s not through the final 2% program.

No one wants to run afoul of the IRS.
    I think Bruce Pearl has come up with a work-around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I think Bruce Pearl has come up with a work-around.
    Now why wouldn’t that surprise me?