Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Even way back then the arguments were pretty bad. Every time we played they killed us...other than the one 3-14 game when they probably should have, but we kept it close.
    C'mon Go, lol, there is no question now that Gonzaga is a premier program and ahead of X but as recently as 2014 Xavier was the more accomplished program.

Through the 2014 season Xavier had 24 tourney appearances, 6 Sweet 16 appearances and 2 Elite 8's.

Gonzaga had 17 tourney appearances, 5 Sweet 16's and 1 Elite 8 appearance.

I think people who complained about some of the media attention Gonzaga got back then as the mid-major darling were warranted. What Gonzaga has done since then (9 Sweet 16's, 2 Final 4's) has been amazing and Gonzaga deserves every accolade they get. But it's revisionist history to act like X fans were crazy for thinking we were better a decade ago.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

As soon as we beat Gonzaga I'll entertain arguments we belong in the convo with Gonzaga. Felt the same way then and now.

Also, a decade ago Gonzaga was coming off a season where they were the overall #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Sure, they got upset by a hot Wichita State team, but that squad went to the Final Four and was undefeated the next season. Gonzaga's non-conference success consistently dwarfed Xavier's, but there was always some excuse or justification. Just found it all silly, really. And now it's just fucking hilarious.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I think the 32 first round women's games were chalk...except for Louisville v Middle Tennessee State.
    Ohio State did not get that memo today.

Supporting Member
    I think Purdue may pull this one out

Minus the Marquette game, lack luster games so far. Why did they decide to play most of the games on Sunday evening?

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    They've done that since the CBS/Turner deal.

Supporting Member
    Been very chalky. Makes for a great second weekend, but I’d still like Cinderella for one more round

Well, then go Grand Canyon! NC St is a pretty fun Cinderella story going on two weeks.

Supporting Member
    Would love Grand Canyon (grant-fosters story is pretty cool) and Yale for some mix next week.

While I like the nc state story, it need to end with Marquette.