Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Doesn't Texas A&M know you're supposed to fold like a cheap tent when you're down by 10+ points in the final 2 minutes?

First 2016, now 2024 could be in the works.

Interesting comments from Hurley and Val:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stake-was-made
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Minus the Marquette game, lack luster games so far. Why did they decide to play most of the games on Sunday evening?
    So CBS can get 100 percent of the viewership for 3 whole games.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Interesting comments from Hurley and Val:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stake-was-made
    "We have to abide by the committee's process," she said, according to college basketball broadcaster John Fanta. "Are we working behind the scenes to try to better understand what the committee is looking for? Yes, that is happening. But I don't think screaming at the top of my lungs is going to get us more teams."

Probably better for her to stop commenting than keep saying stuff like this. Somehow she keeps getting worse at this. She has done a ton for this conference to this point but someone said on twitter, maybe its time for a "wartime consigliere".
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Double post
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Also from the article....

The NCAA tournament selection committee left out the next tier of Big East teams -- Seton Hall, St. John's and Providence. All three reached the 20-win plateau.
    Well, had there not been FIVE teams from multi-bid leagues that were outside the bubble, but won their conference conference tournaments, at least two more Big East teams probably would have been in.

I mean...did everyone just completely miss that?? That's more than a seed line worth of teams! Normally the First Four Games are on either the 11 pr 12 lines. This year they were on the 10 line. UAB, New Mexico, Duquesne, Oregon, and NC State had no shot all won their conference tournaments. The last time I can remember that happening even once was Oregon State in 2021, and the last time before that was Georgia in 2008 in the year a tornado hit Atlanta during the SEC Tournament. Something that almost NEVER happens, happpened FIVE TIMES this year. Bid thieves almost always come out of leagues like the MVC, or the Sun Belt, or a league like that where one team is blowing the rest of the world away, and is a mid-major story all year long like what we've seen Murray State or Indiana State do, and then some other team wins the conference tournament. It's normally not Duquesne, or NC State, or Oregon, who wins a conference tournament in a power conference after an absolutely sucktacular year.

How many were projecting Providence, Seton Hall, and Saint John's as 9 or 10 seeds?? That's essentially what they would have had to be in order to get in. I thought the selection of Virginia was a little ridiculous, but as I said earlier on in the thread Virginia perfectly fit the profile of a team that shouldn't be selected, but was going to be anyway because of what they did on the 4th day of the season in a game no one really even knew about at the time.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    "We have to abide by the committee's process," she said, according to college basketball broadcaster John Fanta. "Are we working behind the scenes to try to better understand what the committee is looking for? Yes, that is happening. But I don't think screaming at the top of my lungs is going to get us more teams."

Probably better for her to stop commenting than keep saying stuff like this. Somehow she keeps getting worse at this. She has done a ton for this conference to this point but someone said on twitter, maybe its time for a "wartime consigliere".
    She has been awful regarding this, along with a few other things this year and is only further digging her own grave. She also said the feedback she got was to continue to play tough non-conference games. That makes zero sense---the Big 12 and MW had horrible non-conference sos for the most part, and got a ton of their crap teams in.

You can prove a freaking point, without yelling and screaming and I'm not a fan of the political stance she has taken on this.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post

She has been awful regarding this, along with a few other things this year and is only further digging her own grave. She also said the feedback she got was to continue to play tough non-conference games. That makes zero sense---the Big 12 and MW had horrible non-conference sos for the most part, and got a ton of their crap teams in.

You can prove a freaking point, without yelling and screaming and I'm not a fan of the political stance she has taken on this. Hurley has had to say something almost every day to keep it in the spotlight, because our weak ass commissioner keeps saying stupid shit.
    Last edited by Xville; 03-25-2024 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post

You can prove a freaking point, without yelling and screaming and I'm not a fan of the political stance she has taken on this.
    Seton Hall and Providence had OOC SOSs in the 230s. Saint John's was better than that, but not great. Boise State's OOC SOS was in the 30s. Virginia's was in the 160s, which isn't good but it's better than the Big East teams that didn't get in. They also all but said the reason Iowa State was 8th on the seedlist was because of their weak OOC SOS.

I've said this before, but teams that win at least one OOC game away from home against another tournament team have their chances of being selected go up exponentially. I'm not saying that's how it should be. I'm saying that for the last 20 years that's simply been how it's been. Right or wrong (probably wrong) Virginia got in because on the 4th day of the season they beat Florida in Charlotte. It was a game no one cared was happening at the time, and it was a game that wasn't all that far away from home, and it was a game that if we were to replay today Florida would absolutely kill them, but that probably had more to do with them getting in than anything else. They beat a tournament team away from home and none of the Big East bubble teams did that.

Is that stupid?? Perhaps. But is it also accurate?? YES!! I'm actually with her on this. Don't water down the OOC schedules.

Seems to me that the good Big East teams got in, and the shitty (ok, very flawed) ones didn't.