Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 110
  1. #1
    Supporting Member paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    20,315

    Game Thread: Xavier v Marquette University (2/25/2024)

    VS.


    CINCINNATI --- The Xavier University Musketeers, 13-13 overall and 7-8 in the BIG EAST Conference, take on the No. 7 Marquette University Golden Eagles, 20-6 overall and 11-4 in the BIG EAST, on Sunday in Milwaukee. Xavier and Marquette are meeting for the first time this season. XU and MU meet again on March 9 in Cincinnati.

    Xavier graduate student Quincy Olivari, who is second in the BIG EAST in scoring (19.1 ppg.), enters the Marquette game just 16 points shy of 2,000. Olivari has scored 1,984 points in his collegiate career, including his totals at Rice and Xavier.

    THE MATCHUP

    XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (13-13, 7-8 BIG EAST)
    NO. 7/8 MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY GOLDEN EAGLES (20-6, 11-4 BIG EAST)
    SUNDAY, FEB. 25, 2024 AT 5:00 P.M. ET (4 P.M. CT)
    FISERV FORUM IN MILWAUKEE, WIS.
    TV, RADIO AND LIVE STATS

    Television: FS1 with play-by-play from Matt Schumacker and analysis from Nick Bahe.
    Xavier Radio: 55KRC-AM with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer Joe Sunderman ('79) analysis from XU all-time leading scorer and Hall of Famer Byron Larkin ('88). XU broadcast is also on the Varsity Network and on SXM.
    Live Stats: GoXavier.com.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    15,143
    Marquette -10

    Hate to say it, but seems like easy money.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    34,402
    Win this game and the season is interesting again. Simple, right?

  4. #4
    All-Conference
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,469
    Win please.

  5. #5
    I see no path to a win today
    2014 RTS National Champion $200,000 (2460 teams) 2015 RTS 2nd Place $25,000 (3120 teams)
    2012 NFFC National Champion $100,000 (1872 teams) 2015/2018 NCAA Bracketology 351/362 pts

  6. #6
    All-Conference
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,469
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Win this game and the season is interesting again. Simple, right?
    We're still firmly behind the 8 ball even with a win today. We're nowhere close to at-large consideration.

    We could win out and lose the finals of the BE tournament and we'd still be squarely on the bubble.

    We're likely to be below .500 after today in the last week before March. We're toast.

    The only hope is a miracle in MSG.
    Last edited by drudy23; 02-25-2024 at 10:57 AM.

  7. #7
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    15,143
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    We're still firmly behind the 8 ball even with a win today. We're nowhere close to at-large consideration.

    We could win out and lose the finals of the BE tournament and we'd still be squarely on the bubble.

    We're likely to be below .500 after today in the last week before March. We're toast.

    The only hope is a miracle in MSG.
    If x won 8 in a row like you are described, x would easily be in. Heck win five in a row and one game in tourney and probably in.
    Problem is none of that is happening.

  8. #8
    All-Conference
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    If x won 8 in a row like you are described, x would easily be in. Heck win five in a row and one game in tourney and probably in.
    Problem is none of that is happening.
    I know. That's just hope.

    It was pretty clear mid-season (or even prior) that the projections were all on hope, not reality. We've never really had a strong case to be a tournament team at any point in the season, if we're being completely objective.

  9. #9
    Supporting Member 94GRAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dana's
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    We're still firmly behind the 8 ball even with a win today. We're nowhere close to at-large consideration.

    We could win out and lose the finals of the BE tournament and we'd still be squarely on the bubble.

    We're likely to be below .500 after today in the last week before March. We're toast.

    The only hope is a miracle in MSG.
    If we win out the regular season, we will be 12-8 in the conference and will have beaten #4Marquette twice. That will get them an at-large bid. Now, do I think that will play out, absolutely not.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

  10. #10
    All-Conference
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,469
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    If we win out the regular season, we will be 12-8 in the conference and will have beaten #4Marquette twice. That will get them an at-large bid. Now, do I think that will play out, absolutely not.
    Of course it won't.

    I can also say they're going undefeated next year. Doesn't mean much.

    Objectively and realistically, our at-large chances are done. Kaput.

    Let's flip our unrealistic hope to winning 4 in 4 games at MSG, which I admit, is probably just as unlikely. But Andy Dufresne told me hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, so....
    Last edited by drudy23; 02-25-2024 at 11:29 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •