Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Game Thread: Xavier v Providence College (2/21/2024)

VS.

CINCINNATI --- The Xavier University Musketeers, 13-12 overall and 7-7 in the BIG EAST Conference, return home on Wednesday night to host the Providence College Friars, 17-9 overall and 8-7 in the BIG EAST. Xavier is looking to snap a two-game losing streak, while Providence will be trying to extend a two-game winning streak. XU has been off since Feb. 14.

This game features the top two scorers in the BIG EAST Conference in Providence's Devin Carter at 19.2 ppg. and Xavier's Quincy Olivari at 19.1 ppg.

THE MATCHUP

XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (13-12, 7-7 BIG EAST)
    PROVIDENCE COLLEGE FRIARS (17-9, 8-7 BIG EAST)
    WEDNESDAY, FEB. 21, 2024 AT 8:00 P.M. ET
    CINTAS CENTER IN CINCINNATI, OHIO

TV, RADIO AND LIVE STATS

Television: CBS Sports Network with play-by-play from Andrew Catalon and analysis from Steve Lappas. CBS Sports Network is available on many providers in the Cincinnati market including Charter Spectrum, DISH (Satellite), DirecTV (Satellite), DirecTV Stream, fubo, Hulu + Live TV, and YouTube TV. The game will not be available to altafiber customers; for more information, contact altafiber.
    Xavier Radio: 55KRC-AM with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer
    Joe Sunderman ('79) analysis from XU all-time leading scorer and Hall of Famer Byron Larkin ('88). XU broadcast is also on the Varsity Network and on SXM.
    Live Stats: Media stats at Statbroadcast.com and fan stats at GoXavier.com.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    I got here first, Drudy..................."Just Win".

Listening to Miller's radio show last night, I'm watching three things.

1. The overall team energy. Miller blamed the performance at Seton Hall on the schedule. Too many games in too little time and having to play the fifth toughest schedule in the country. He said that practice over the weekend and on Monday was much more spirited and he predicted a more energetic effort on Weds. For me, iron sharpens iron. I believe a tough schedule, in general, makes a team stronger. Miller didn't entirely convince me that he wasn't making excuses for the team. I assume he believes what he believes but even if not, his approach is more constructive than going full-on Pitino who went low and personal attacking the skills of guys he recruited.

2. Where do Gytis and Abou begin the game, on the floor or on the bench? I though Miller was very generous with both blaming their poor performances, for the most part, on being tired.

3. Related to above, do we see more Sasa and Katchi? Miller gave Katchi a lot of praise comparing him to Jason Love. I saw what others saw. A young player who while inexperienced, is more athletic than the guys above him in the rotation. I hope we see more significant minutes for both. I also want to see if Lazaar gets off the bench. He did not against Seton Hall. In response to a caller's question about allowing Swain and Lazar to shoot threes, Miller gave the qualified "yellow" light to Swain but not to Lazar. Lazar seems to be one of those guys that doesn't have Miller's permission to launch yet he has done so in multiple games this year. When interviewed earlier this year, Lazar said he came to X because he thought Miller could make him into an NBA prospect. And Miller appears to be giving him the same coaching that he gave Hunter. It worked for Hunter. If Lazar chooses not to listen to Miller, I don't see him getting minutes. So that's an interesting subplot going forward.

Supporting Member
    I want to see a different lineup in the frontcourt starting. I don't really care what it is, but I don't want to see Abou/Gytis starting. We have seen it, and for the most part it hasn't worked. I like the option of either going bigger/more athletic with Abou/Nzeh starting together with Ciani as first off the bench, or going small with Swain at the 4.

It will be really frustrating to me if we see Gytis/Abou rolled out there together again.

All-Conference
    Win please.

Supporting Member
    X -4.5. Get it done. F it.. win 6 straight

You know what?

We’re all Musketeers.

That means we weren’t wanted by the “blue bloods”, the “Elite”. Well so what.

Same holds for Lenny Brown and Gary Lumpkin. Brian Grant and David West. The list goes on…

I’ve seen PC and it’s not X.

So, Let’s go X!

It’s almost March and “winning time” (thank you BJ Raymond) after all!
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

After an embarrassing loss, Xavier has a quality bounce back victory. Hopefully, this continues tonight. Providence and Xavier both see this as an "absolutely must win" game, so I am expecting a classic!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Win please.
    Please, give us a little hope with a win haha

Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    Please, give us a little hope with a win haha
    Officials for tonight Ayers Gaffney and Hall

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    The game will not be available to altafiber customers; for more information, contact altafiber.
    You can go to CBS Sports and choose watch CBS Sports Network and choose your provider. altafiber is at the bottom and not Alphabetical (at least it was last week) and it will let you watch even though altafiber doesn't carry CBSSportsNetwork.
    No, I be concubining.