Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    All-Conference

Coack Mack Back to X?

Most of us have probably seen the video this weekend with Coach Mack saying it's time for him to get back into coaching.

My guess is that he would only entertain head coaching positions, but I think it would be great to have someone of Coach Mack's coaching caliber on the bench with Miller's staff. Not sure that's even possible with the way the current staff is constructed and paid, but I would be all for it if that is indeed what Coach Mack is looking for.

I'm sure Coach Mack would get plenty of interest, but is it the interest he is looking for? Pushing away any personal dislike or bias based on perceptions of how he left, would that excite you to get him back on the bench? Could he be another weapon for high level big men (he recruited them well and it's an obvious hole) and an asset to Coach Miller with his X and O acumen?

Miller and Mack seem to be good buddies, but does a return screw with the chemistry of the current guys on the staff? I think it would be worth a shot if that is what Mack is looking for.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    We won't have to worry about that if Ohio State and/or Kentucky potentially open up for him during the offseason.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    We won't have to worry about that if Ohio State and/or Kentucky potentially open up for him during the offseason.
    My guess is that no big time program is giving him a job. He’s going to have to prove himself again, and I’m guessing the ego is too big for an assistant job. My guess is he ends up at a mid major either around Nashville where his one daughter is going or in Florida.

Or maybe he can take the Miami oh job once Steele inevitably gets canned

Freshman
    There is a 0% chance he comes back to X to be an assistant. That isn't happening.

I also don't buy the Vanderbilt rumors that have been floating around. It is very difficult to win there and getting fired again would probably be the death knell for his career. I don't have a great idea of where he'd go, but I think it's going to be somewhere like Ole Miss if Beard leaves. Maybe not there specifically, but somewhere like that.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zippin' View Post
    There is a 0% chance he comes back to X to be an assistant. That isn't happening.

I also don't buy the Vanderbilt rumors that have been floating around. It is very difficult to win there and getting fired again would probably be the death knell for his career. I don't have a great idea of where he'd go, but I think it's going to be somewhere like Ole Miss if Beard leaves. Maybe not there specifically, but somewhere like that.
    Probably only rumors since that’s where his daughter is going. But I could see Belmont or any of the mid majors that are there. I really don’t think a big five/six conference is hiring the guy right now. Maybe I’m wrong but the way he literally quit at Louisville was a really bad look and effing Luke Murray over for the Charleston job.

anyone have a link to the comments? I always thought he was saying hes content right now. wasnt he on the SM podcast just a few weeks ago and said pretty much that?

I think the Dino situation is a bad look. What did he do with Luke Murray and Charleston?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    anyone have a link to the comments? I always thought he was saying hes content right now. wasnt he on the SM podcast just a few weeks ago and said pretty much that?

I think the Dino situation is a bad look. What did he do with Luke Murray and Charleston?
    It was in the enquirer yesterday.

Regarding Murray, from what I heard, Murray was hired at Charleston first before Kelsey but the day before he was to be announced, Mack fired Murray so then Charleston said they couldn’t hire someone who had just been canned. In other words it would have been a bad look. Mack couldn’t just wait a couple days. This all comes from someone very high up in the Louisville sports administration.

Murray and Mack were butting heads that last year all year long. Did not like each other at the end at all
    Last edited by Xville; 02-11-2024 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

https://x.com/fox19joe/status/175635...shJKowj_nNzfHg

Sophomore
    Assistant coaches typically work longer hours than the head coach and assistants get a lot less money. I doubt Mack wants to go back to that and I doubt Miller would want the awkwardness of Xavier's all time wins leader next to him. Only way it would likely be proposed, if Sean told Mack he was leaving in one season. Then Mack could be an assistant for 1 year then take over to ensure a seamless transition.

I have no idea the type of Jobs that will inquire about Mack. I think Vanderbilt would hire him, but as mentioned above that is a tough job. I don't think OSU would hire Mack at this point. I think he would be a great fit at Saint Louis if they fire Ford.
    Last edited by Xavgrad08; 02-11-2024 at 03:26 PM.

Florida state or Georgia tech type job.