Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by webxu View Post
    Mick is refusing to play the NIL game, and his success was with guys that stuck around 3-4 years to build a culture (much like the Xavier blueprint), those days sadly are gone. Its the same reason Jay Wright left. Wonder if UCLA is dictating that to an extent with Chip Kelly leaving to be a coordinator..
    LA would seem to be an NIL hotbed. I don't get it, except for the part that insecure Mick feels he won't be able to bully and berate to keep control.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Mick is refusing to play the NIL game, and his success was with guys that stuck around 3-4 years to build a culture (much like the Xavier blueprint), those days sadly are gone. Its the same reason Jay Wright left. Wonder if UCLA is dictating that to an extent with Chip Kelly leaving to be a coordinator..
    UCLA wanted to fire Chip Kelly but would have owed him 8.5 million. Instead they get 1.5 million for a guy they didnt want anymore to leave to go elsewhere.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    He didn't get fired, he literally quit. I understand that that is what was presented in the national media, or a "mutual parting of ways" but the local people here in and around the administration, media all said he quit.
    I can promise you a cash settlement was discussed before he "quit" - if he just walked out, he wouldn't have gotten a bag of cash to leave.

If he didn't get that bag of cash, he wouldn't have "quit", he would have played it out until they fired him to ensure his bag of cash.

So basically, he got fired.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I can promise you a cash settlement was discussed before he "quit" - if he just walked out, he wouldn't have gotten a bag of cash to leave.

If he didn't get that bag of cash, he wouldn't have "quit", he would have played it out until they fired him to ensure his bag of cash.

So basically, he got fired.
    His cash settlement was around 4 mil, had he been fired without cause the number was 12. He went to the administration and told them he was done. He said If you wanna fire me, fine ill take 12, or we can just make it look like it was "mutual" and ill take my 4. Both sides wanted to save a bit of face.

Sophomore
    Most of us have probably seen the video this weekend with Coach Mack saying it's time for him to get back into coaching.

My guess is that he would only entertain head coaching positions, but I think it would be great to have someone of Coach Mack's coaching caliber on the bench with Miller's staff. Not sure that's even possible with the way the current staff is constructed and paid, but I would be all for it if that is indeed what Coach Mack is looking for.

I'm sure Coach Mack would get plenty of interest, but is it the interest he is looking for? Pushing away any personal dislike or bias based on perceptions of how he left, would that excite you to get him back on the bench? Could he be another weapon for high level big men (he recruited them well and it's an obvious hole) and an asset to Coach Miller with his X and O acumen?

Miller and Mack seem to be good buddies, but does a return screw with the chemistry of the current guys on the staff? I think it would be worth a shot if that is what Mack is looking for.
    As others have said, he's not going to be an assistant anywhere and surely not at Xavier.

His comments last week are obviously him trying to let Ohio St. and Vanderbilt know that he's open for business. Those are the kind of places he will consider (as head coach).

Freshman
    Miller isn't going anywhere because of it. And if he does, it will be straight to retirement.
    Getting real annoying seeing Trilly Donovan repeatedly push narratives of SM leaving though. Last year it was Texas and this year it appears to be Ohio State. Guess that's what comes with having an elite coach, though.

Supporting Member
    Interesting, I get the sense (from what he has publicly said) that Mick is willing to play the NIL game, but there isn't much of a game there to play at UCLA.

All-Conference
    Someone help me understand how one can complain about NIL when living in LA? It's a top 3 market in the country.

And they would seem to have plenty of booster money. As with most things with Mick, I don't get it. He just likes to whine to push attention away from his own shortcomings.

Did Bronny get all the NIL money?
    Last edited by drudy23; 02-12-2024 at 01:15 PM.

That's really paying off for USC.

Supporting Member
    Someone help me understand how one can complain about NIL when living in LA? It's a top 3 market in the country.

And they would seem to have plenty of booster money. As with most things with Mick, I don't get it. He just likes to whine to push attention away from his own shortcomings.

I could be wrong, but I feel that I have heard it’s not just nil with ucla. Thought I have heard a few times even before nil that ucla basketball was not supported all that well and their facilities were pretty mediocre.

Maybe I dreamt that.