Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: The Final 2%

We have an interesting dichotomy here:

Young athletes who deserve to be paid due to the amount of money they generate for their institutions.

versus

Notwithstanding free market dynamics, the amounts of compensation involved, with all of this chopping away at the notion of amateurism and the student-athlete.

“You deserve to be paid”

“Oh, that’s a nice Gucci bag and new Escalade you have there. How are your classes going in your 20th year of life?”

The marketplace and possibly some legislation will sort this out over time. It most likely isn’t sustainable as it exists.

Now consider lobbing this grenade into a university alumni base. We end up with this thread. This makes for a combustible topic, to say the least.

I contribute to our collective because I can, and because I want to support Xavier athletics as much as possible. Like most of you here, I otherwise support the university directly.

If you are contributing to the collective, then great. If you aren’t contributing for your reasons, then no problem.

Fellow fans urging other fans to contribute if they can, no problem.

We will see how all of this works out in the long run for college basketball and for Xavier, specifically. I am hopeful, given our leadership, our head coach, our facilities, our conference affiliation, and our fan base overall.

In the meantime, we continue to adapt to a new way of fielding a Xavier basketball team. Get comfortable with the idea of fluidity, with components, with plug and play augmenting “normal” recruitment.

Maybe we will only be overcooked at some point if we end up with 13 new reserved parking spaces next to the Cintas Center.
    X A V I E R

Well said. ^^^

Sophomore
    All of you going back and forth here on this thread are PATHETIC!

Roster complete with 7 high quality transfers in.

Guess why Sean had that success?

Great job by all who contributed!!
    Let’s keep it going with monthly donations. There will be a next year…
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    I know X was doing a bourbon thing to help towards the NIL collective. I was close to getting one. Probably will when they go on sale next, but UC does a lite beer with Rhinegeist. Feel like they got the better end of that one. Can’t confirm but my buddy said $3 of every 12 of pack goes to UC NIL. I guess as someone said in one of these threads- it’s all peanuts, the actual money comes from high donors.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I know X was doing a bourbon thing to help towards the NIL collective. I was close to getting one. Probably will when they go on sale next, but UC does a lite beer with Rhinegeist. Feel like they got the better end of that one. Can’t confirm but my buddy said $3 of every 12 of pack goes to UC NIL. I guess as someone said in one of these threads- it’s all peanuts, the actual money comes from high donors.
    The latest drive netted $500k - all from small monthly donors.
    Not peanuts.
    But a big guy did match the 500k, if that goal was reached. And it was.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Because he took some time off on vacation in the Caribbean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Sophomore
    Roster complete with 7 high quality transfers in.

Great job by all who contributed!!
    Let’s keep it going with monthly donations. There will be a next year…
    Jeez it takes a huge fucking set of stones to come back and post in this thread after your previous faux pas

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    $1 for every 12 pack, $3 for every case, and $13 for every keg. Now available in over 500 retail locations and 300 taps in the Cincinnati area alone, and they all have a hard time keeping it in stock. Rhineguiest has had to quadruple the amount they are making and have added a 3rd shift to the packaging department at the brewery. They sold 12,000 cans at the UC-Miami football game inside of Nippert Stadium alone. By any measure you want it has been an unqualified success for everyone involved. I have heard that Xavier is looking for a similar deal with a brewery close to the campus, but I can’t see it being anywhere near as successful.

It’s like compounding your investments in a 401K over the years. $1 a 12 pack doesn’t seem like much, until you see how many 12 packs are sold every day and project that over a year.

Junior
    The latest drive netted $500k - all from small monthly donors.
    Not peanuts.
    But a big guy did match the 500k, if that goal was reached. And it was.
    Yeah fair enough I didn’t know the numbers. If it was said earlier in the thread, I obviously didn’t read it, 500K from small monthly donations is good.