Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final 2%

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    It’s important. It is what it is. Please consider donating - even a little - if you can.
    I’m sorry but what’s “important” about it? There’s nothing important about paying a college basketball player. If Xavier basketball starts not doing well because x can’t sustain enough nil money, I’ll live and find something else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    This is where I am. It's very hard for me to wrap my head around giving money to buy players. I realize it's a new day, but it just feels odd.
    Welp.
    And Iím not jumping on you Drudes, but if people donít support, our beloved school and basketball program will be worse off.
    And some people on here who say they donít care, and will find something else to do if Xavier goes bad, I suppose theyíll have lots of free time since they wonít care about posting on a message board either- except to be a cretin troll, which they are already.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Even Power 5 programs aren't all swimming in money when it comes to NIL (and I don't mean simply Oregon State, Washington, etc.). NIL might be the difference between a Sweet 16/Elite 8 Team and a Final 4 team, but I'm not buying the notion that Xavier will be relegated to permanent Travis Steele-like status without it.

And I'm saying this as someone who is willing to make an annual $1000 AFO Donation that comes with my current seat at the Cintas Center. I'm also happy to support other Olympic sports as well (cheap plug - baseball season tickets are only $53 and they will be playing major programs this year at home). I simply don't have the coin to be jumping into NIL right now.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Even Power 5 programs aren't all swimming in money when it comes to NIL (and I don't mean simply Oregon State, Washington, etc.). NIL might be the difference between a Sweet 16/Elite 8 Team and a Final 4 team, but I'm not buying the notion that Xavier will be relegated to permanent Travis Steele-like status without it.

And I'm saying this as someone who is willing to make an annual $1000 AFO Donation that comes with my current seat at the Cintas Center. I'm also happy to support other Olympic sports as well (cheap plug - baseball season tickets are only $53 and they will be playing major programs this year at home). I simply don't have the coin to be jumping into NIL right now.
    I agree band.

Mor though doesn’t understand different perspectives.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post

Do you know that the All For One fund only has 2,700 total donors? That out of an every game crowd of 10,000.

LETS GO!!!
    Does this include season ticket holders? Don't we automatically give as part of that?

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Welp.
    And I’m not jumping on you Drudes, but if people don’t support, our beloved school and basketball program will be worse off.
    And some people on here who say they don’t care, and will find something else to do if Xavier goes bad, I suppose they’ll have lots of free time since they won’t care about posting on a message board either- except to be a cretin troll, which they are already.
    Like I mentioned, I understand it's a new day, but it's a tough sell for me, especially with the cost of donations and season tickets.

Better "perks" for doing it may change my mind. I don't care about meeting players or coaches - get me in a suite for a game or give me preferential treatment for away and post-season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Agreed and frankly I donít think nil is going to be around for that long. I think five years max and schools will be paying instead of this nonsense collective stuff. Nil is not a sustainable model.

Not telling people how to spend their money, thatís up to their own personal choice, but I have two kids to raise that are more important to give my five dollars a month to than a college basketball player no matter how much I like some of them
    I respect your priorities. And you obviously have them set the right way.

I actually agree with you that NIL will evolve in a material way, even possibly to the point of not being around at all as you mentioned.

BUT

We're in the here and now. NIL is something that is going to have to be dealt with for next year, for the year after that and then who knows. We can't ignore it and simply hope that the Xavier program treads water somehow.

This is what it has come to - collegiate sports navigating their way to bushels of money through media agreements and internal marketing for decades now, with some, if not most college administrators understanding the marketing value of collegiate sports as a school's "front door/porch". It's a race for survival at the highest level now. Couple that with what is going on demographically in higher education and anyone with a brain can see why it is important for any school to remain both VISIBLE and ATTRACTIVE to potential recruits and students.

Let's hope that we are in an interim phase and that NIL does go away as it presently exists in Wild West Mode. Let's manage as best we can while it still exists so as to maintain and possibly improve our program.

I'll net it out for you when it comes to what I hope for: NIL goes away and schools are allowed to pay athletes directly, without having to pay every athlete due to some f'ed up Title IX restrictions, etc. (i.e. we keep the outflow focused on where the inflow comes from for the most part: men's hoops) or NCAA President policy that requires $30k for each athlete to be paid held in some form of escrow arrangement.

Then, if Xavier can "bring it inside", let's hope that coincides with a material bump in our media agreement and with that hopefully running for another decade. We don't have to pay for football. Our major capital improvements at the Cintas Center have been accomplished. We should have some room to manage a compensated roster construction process at that point.

That's my hope.

Should these athletes share in the money that is being generated? Most people will say yes. I'm old school, but even I say yes, given that I'm a capitalist and given the amounts of money that have become involved. Perhaps it has to do with a concept of fairness and balance. On that note, for the life of me, I can't imagine compensating a football or basketball coach beyond $5mm per year. Has Kirby Smart brought value to UGA? No doubt. Sabin to Bama? Of course. But it gets back to Bud Fox's question to Gordon Gecko: "How many yachts can you ski behind?"

At any rate and at the end of the day, we have watched the collegiate athletics scale continue to slide closer to professional status and away from amateur status. The kids still get to wrap themselves in a brand's uniform. We may simply not get to see a kid go from freshman year to senior year very frequently anymore, unless he is the equivalent of a pro team's franchise player, albeit a 4-year max term player.
    X A V I E R

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Does this include season ticket holders? Don't we automatically give as part of that?
    Yes and no. Keep in mind that many donors purchase multiple seats - I'm in a minority that purchase single seats. What is interesting is trying to figure out how many AFO donors exist that aren't season ticket holders.

One last observation that I'll put here. I didn't have the opportunity to watch the game live and I waited until I got home to find out what had happened. I was really pumped and hopeful for a "W" given what that would have meant for our resume moving down the road.

So, I almost blew the recording off the DVR immediately, but then I remembered it was on Big Fox and I decided to see how it all looked at the beginning of the telecast.

I write this with pure bias, knowing that I am right: the Cintas Center is a fabulous facility and provides an amazing home court advantage. The opening scene with the student section, the cameras panning around the facility, and Tim Brando mentioning how much "these two midwestern powers" have brought to the Big East really made my proud.

Then I watched us score the first four points. Then I deleted it and have moved to today with that loss in the rearview mirror and the Super Bowl coming up.

Sean comes back and takes us to the S16.

We have a discombobulated roster this year and so we're experiencing this year.

NIL issues notwithstanding, I love this program and its potential for moving forward.
    X A V I E R

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    One last observation that I'll put here. I didn't have the opportunity to watch the game live and I waited until I got home to find out what had happened. I was really pumped and hopeful for a "W" given what that would have meant for our resume moving down the road.

So, I almost blew the recording off the DVR immediately, but then I remembered it was on Big Fox and I decided to see how it all looked at the beginning of the telecast.

I write this with pure bias, knowing that I am right: the Cintas Center is a fabulous facility and provides an amazing home court advantage. The opening scene with the student section, the cameras panning around the facility, and Tim Brando mentioning how much "these two midwestern powers" have brought to the Big East really made my proud.

Then I watched us score the first four points. Then I deleted it and have moved to today with that loss in the rearview mirror and the Super Bowl coming up.

Sean comes back and takes us to the S16.

We have a discombobulated roster this year and so we're experiencing this year.

NIL issues notwithstanding, I love this program and its potential for moving forward.
    The first 5-6 minutes really had that "it's going to be our day" feel. It was electric. Then Kalkbrenner showed up.