Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final 2%

Quote Originally Posted by zippin' View Post
    I think a lot of people on here have a very over-inflated opinion of who is actually benefiting from NIL. The 10th man at IUPUI is not making hundreds of thousands a year. The media headlines people like Bronny James or Olivia Dunne etc making millions, but that is such a small percentage of D1 athletes it's laughable. It's obviously very fair to not want to donate to NIL because you don't want to personally pay players, but Xavier hoops will almost certainly take a step back if they don't have a respectable NIL war chest. It's funny reading this thread and seeing numerous posts about "down with NIL!" and there being another popular thread about Mack where people say DePaul is trash because they don't have an NIL fund.

College sports are in a very bad place right now, as it is now fully out in the open that money is the only thing that matters. Many schools can barely afford their programs as it is and have to play numerous buy games, and further forcing those schools to pay their players will very likely be too much. You can be fine with that and say it's how business in the real world works, but college sports will essentially end in that situation as states schools will basically be all that are left.

Also, as a final point, I think the idea that student athletes don't care about their degree is wrong. Maybe that's true at Kentucky or North Carolina, but consider what I said above where all of these athletic departments close: now the basketball player playing for Bryant (or whoever) who is able to go to school for free and get a degree can no longer do that because Bryant doesn't have a basketball program anymore.
    Just one example that is not Brony or Olivia. Before Huggins was fired at WVU he had recruited five top talent transfers. All of them were supposed to be getting big NIL packages. The point guard, Kerr, who had played for Miller at Arizona, was rumored to be getting hundreds of thousands. Now this was at least five players their program was going to need to fundraise for, but if even one is getting that much, then an institution of higher learning has lost its way completely. If this was a professional sports league, then fine. But as a college that is supposed to be training the workforce and improving people's skills who want to move up in life, this isn't the way to dedicate time and taxpayer resources.

I don't fault people for getting money if they can, I just don't think these schools are the way to do it. And to be asking folks to pay into a system where offers will be made before we even see how they practice or fit in to a coach's system...It seems really unwise, even if only one or two people are really getting the bulk of the funds.
    Last edited by sirthought; 02-12-2024 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I’m just saying that even if someone never donates a dime to a NIL that we all in someway are already paying the players as companies certainly do donate to NILs and do hire players directly. If we purchase services or goods from those companies, then we are indirectly paying those players. AND that when we get to a direct pay for play model where the TV/streaming money is supporting the athletic departments that are paying out the money to the players, that will be even more evident.
    Oh, the thing where you can buy a bourbon or beer or whatever product and some money goes to a fund seems totally do'able. A person can decide, or not, to spend cash, and they are getting something in return automatically. These vague benefits that may or may not happen evenly for every donor, coupled with the potentially out-of-control spending wars, makes me say we should all walk away. They're going to have to find a way to make it work for everyone before I buy in on the belief that it will matter in the long run.
    Last edited by sirthought; 02-12-2024 at 05:30 PM.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Just one example that is not Brony or Olivia. Before Huggins was fired at WVU he had recruited five top talent transfers. All of them were supposed to be getting big NIL packages. The point guard, Kerr, who had played for Miller at Arizona, was rumored to be getting hundreds of thousands. Now this was at least five players their program was going to need to fundraise for, but if even one is getting that much, then an institution of higher learning has lost its way completely. If this was a professional sports league, then fine. But as a college that is supposed to be training the workforce and improving people's skills who want to move up in life, this isn't the way to dedicate time and taxpayer resources.

I don't fault people for getting money if they can, I just don't think these schools are the way to do it. And to be asking folks to pay into a system where offers will be made before we even see how they practice or fit in to a coach's system...It seems really unwise, even if only one or two people are really getting the bulk of the funds.
    I get the feeling that Kerr Karisa wasn't worth the headache. Maybe West Virginia feels differently - oh wait, they're near the bottom of the Big 12.

Supporting Member

This is well said. I saw an interview with the U. of Maryland football coach. He described a third string running back who demanded $100K NIL to refrain from entering the portal. The coach stated almost all his meetings with returning players, regardless of experience or on-field contribution as beginning and ending with similar demands from the players. Like Drudy's earlier post, I just cannot get my head around paying college players. I get the argument that these programs generate massive cash and other benefits for their university sponsors and the players have not shared proportionately in those benefits. But it has very quickly gotten out of hand.

Ryan Day at OSU goes to his boosters and tells them he needs $14 million in NIL to obtain the best players. Is that really what we want for X or really for any school? We just go buy the best players and then congratulate ourselves for winning championships as though we've accomplished something mighty? I think that model will not work for X and most schools financially but I also believe it will chase away fans like me who appreciate the institution for its values and its contributions beyond basketball. This will turn players and coaches into modern day carpet baggers; hucksters who want just one thing....money. And it turns us, the fans, into enablers.

Freshman

That may be true, but it’s still a fraction of D1 athletes. Again, the majority of college athletes are seeing little to no NIL $s coming their way, you just hear about the big ones. Whether you think it’s unwise or not, the cat is out of the bag and it isn’t going back in. If you want to compete you have to have NIL.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    This is well said. I saw an interview with the U. of Maryland football coach. He described a third string running back who demanded $100K NIL to refrain from entering the portal. The coach stated almost all his meetings with returning players, regardless of experience or on-field contribution as beginning and ending with similar demands from the players. Like Drudy's earlier post, I just cannot get my head around paying college players. I get the argument that these programs generate massive cash and other benefits for their university sponsors and the players have not shared proportionately in those benefits. But it has very quickly gotten out of hand.

Ryan Day at OSU goes to his boosters and tells them he needs $14 million in NIL to obtain the best players. Is that really what we want for X or really for any school? We just go buy the best players and then congratulate ourselves for winning championships as though we've accomplished something mighty? I think that model will not work for X and most schools financially but I also believe it will chase away fans like me who appreciate the institution for its values and its contributions beyond basketball. This will turn players and coaches into modern day carpet baggers; hucksters who want just one thing....money. And it turns us, the fans, into enablers.

Xavier was never getting the best recruits and they will continue not getting them. I don't know why that’s hard for people to understand. Unless Xavier has billionaire donors hidden away somewhere (they don’t), we will continue to get the level of recruit/transfer we’ve always gotten, and the usual suspects will continue getting the top guys. You’re talking about football: when was the last time Ohio State was bad at football? NIL or no NIL, they will always be a top program. NIL at schools trying to win championships isn't going away.

So players should have to come and play for a while before they are given an athletic scholarship?

Ever heard of sign-on bonuses for jobs?

How about a raise tied to a promotion?

There are dozens of examples that could be given to where people are given or promised compensation before they ever perform one task. This is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I saw an interview with the U. of Maryland football coach. He described a third string running back who demanded $100K NIL to refrain from entering the portal.
    I certainly hope the coach told him to enter the portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    So players should have to come and play for a while before they are given an athletic scholarship?

Ever heard of sign-on bonuses for jobs?

How about a raise tied to a promotion?

There are dozens of examples that could be given to where people are given or promised compensation before they ever perform one task. This is no different.
    Your response shows how skewed the perception of what they deserve has gotten.

First, no state or government job is giving a signing bonus. I know XU is private but I doubt they offer employees $500, $1000, or more just to accept a job there. Most of college sports is happening at govt. non-profit institutions supported by the taxpayers.

Second, these aren't signing bonuses. They are negotiated payouts that are really pretty lucrative. This isn't like a college kid gets a nice part time job. And yeah the kids work hard, but so do a lot of other people at schools that leverage their work for a better reputation and status.

Third, if I'm getting a raise with a promotion, I've shown the organization that I can produce and get the job done. I don't think paying a high school kid $25k to chuck three pointers on the run is the best investment when coming into that money is a REAL job. Most athletic programs are in the hole. It cost money for equipment and time to run things. And NIL is completely outside of that. So getting money. to pay these athletes makes the actual financial investment for sports much much worse.

All-Conference
    At the end of the day, the talent of the players is what's driving the demand and making the schools boatloads of money.

You can argue how payment should be accomplished, but where else is that not compensated? This isn't non-profit work, quite the opposite.

I just don't understand the attitude of "just entertain us, make us lots of money, and keep your mouth shut". Age really doesn't matter. There are plenty of ultra-skilled kids/young adults that perform for boatloads of money in many industries.

However, when I go to a concert, I pay for the ticket, which I'm more than happy to do, and the proceeds pay the performer. I don't pay both.
    Last edited by drudy23; 02-13-2024 at 11:23 AM.