Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final 2%

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    It's been implied on more than one post that folks are lame if they don't contribute. This whole approach is wrong minded. The whole idea of counting on the average fan to pay NIL is bad. This world has so many people in need. Guys that play D1 hoops are not in that category.
    I 100% agree with you but imo people can do whatever the hell they want with their money imo.

Nil was not set up to be like this, it was supposed to be for players to make money off their nil. Instead, they are being paid to play not by the schools who make millions of them but by the average fan. Sounds insane to me.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    It's been implied on more than one post that folks are lame if they don't contribute. This whole approach is wrong minded. The whole idea of counting on the average fan to pay NIL is bad. This world has so many people in need. Guys that play D1 hoops are not in that category.
    I haven't seen a single post that implied that. I may have just missed it though, hard to see everything.

As always people should do what they want with their money (as long as they have it and it isn't hurting their family to do so).
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

People arenít free to do both? You mean I canít give money to charities and also contribute to the NIL if I choose to?

Thatís the pointÖ.its an individual choice to donate to the NIL or not.

From the Musketeergear.com site:

“THE PROCESS

The NCAA’s recent approval of Name, Image, and Likeness gives us fans the collective opportunity to help support the program like never before – and play a role in reaching the Final Four and winning a National Championship.
    But we’re going to do it like we do everything else: The Xavier Way.
    That means positioning Xavier as the world-class leader in showcasing NIL the way it should be done – going far beyond just profit from sales.
    Let’s break it down,

Musketeer Gear was created for student-athletes, by student-athletes.

Student Athletes will learn new business and marketing skills from launch to delivery through internships and collaborative projects.
    Their voice and creative lens will be empowered to build and deepen relationships with fans through designing products and experiences.
    And of course they will profit from the hard work.
    While their vision begins with basketball, it certainly doesn’t end there.
    Now as fans, we can rally around the team we love so much in this new way – and in doing so, we’ll help shape more of the plays and moments we’ll never forget

Your support on MusketeerGear.com enables our current and future student-athletes to be the very best they can be . . . on-and-off the court.
    We are Xavier Musketeers.
    All for one . . . And one for all”

This is ONE example of how the NIL program works. I’d recommend going to the Final 2% website and reading how they work to.

TANSTAAFL…….there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. Even for these athletes.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    People aren’t free to do both? You mean I can’t give money to charities and also contribute to the NIL if I choose to?

That’s the point….its an individual choice to donate to the NIL or not.
    Sure, as it is my *choice* to elucidate the vapidness required to make a “charitable” contribution to a slush-fund designed to pay basketball players
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Sophomore
    From the Musketeergear.com site:

ďTHE PROCESS

The NCAAís recent approval of Name, Image, and Likeness gives us fans the collective opportunity to help support the program like never before Ė and play a role in reaching the Final Four and winning a National Championship.
    But weíre going to do it like we do everything else: The Xavier Way.
    That means positioning Xavier as the world-class leader in showcasing NIL the way it should be done Ė going far beyond just profit from sales.
    Letís break it down,

Musketeer Gear was created for student-athletes, by student-athletes.

Student Athletes will learn new business and marketing skills from launch to delivery through internships and collaborative projects.
    Their voice and creative lens will be empowered to build and deepen relationships with fans through designing products and experiences.
    And of course they will profit from the hard work.
    While their vision begins with basketball, it certainly doesnít end there.
    Now as fans, we can rally around the team we love so much in this new way Ė and in doing so, weíll help shape more of the plays and moments weíll never forget

Your support on MusketeerGear.com enables our current and future student-athletes to be the very best they can be . . . on-and-off the court.
    We are Xavier Musketeers.
    All for one . . . And one for allĒ

This is ONE example of how the NIL program works. Iíd recommend going to the Final 2% website and reading how they work to.

TANSTAAFLÖÖ.there ainít no such thing as a free lunch. Even for these athletes.
    The Musketeer Gear concept sounds great, really. Iím sure the tens of hundreds of dollars it generates will not contribute a meaningful amount to the new pay-for-play arms race in basketball, but I imagine other student-athletes would appreciate the experience and extra cash. Not to mention, the fans who support it receive something of value in return.

Look, I am not against NIL. I mean, when I was in high school and always played as Nebraska on NCAA College Football, do you think it was lost on me that the incredible fast/athletic black option quarterback wearing #15 represented Tommie Frazier? I always wondered why the players names were not included in the game/on the jerseys. I was stunned to later find out they received no compensation for having their obvious likenesses represented in the game. What a travesty!

But I see no connection to NIL with these so-called collectives. They are an obvious pay-for-play scheme, and just another monster to feed in the growing grift that has become college athletics. I suppose I have given up on any opposition to pay-for-play in college sports at this point, but then itís time for the athletic programs to do so out of the revenue they generate. Asking fans to subsidize ANY OF IT like this is grotesque.
    Last edited by XUBison; 02-28-2024 at 03:48 PM.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    The Musketeer Gear concept sounds great, really. Iím sure the tens of hundreds of dollars it generates will not contribute a meaningful amount to the new pay-for-play arms race in basketball, but I imagine other student-athletes would appreciate the experience and extra cash. Not to mention, the fans who support it receive something of value in return.

Look, I am not against NIL. I mean, when I was in high school and always played as Nebraska on NCAA College Football, do you think it was lost on me that the incredible fast/athletic black option quarterback wearing #15 represented Tommie Frazier? I always wondered why the players names were not included in the game/on the jerseys. I was stunned to later find out they received no compensation for having their obvious likenesses represented in the game. What a travesty!

But I see no connection to NIL with these so-called collectives. They are an obvious pay-for-play scheme, and just another monster to feed in the growing grift that has become college athletics. I suppose I have given up on any opposition to pay-for-play in college sports at this point, but then itís time for the athletic programs to do so out of the revenue they generate. Asking fans to subsidize ANY OF IT like this is grotesque.
    Amen. This collective nonsense is not what nil was supposed to be.

Did either of you two go to the Final 2% site and read anything there, like I suggested?

And as I’ve pointed out before…….ALL of the money that a school might use to pay players would be coming from the FANS, either directly in the form of ticket sales, etc, or indirectly from TV/radio and the money the broadcasters generate through advertising sales.

You’re just kidding yourself if you think that you’re not already contributing money to college athletics. The money any athletic department generates comes from the fans and nowhere else.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 02-28-2024 at 04:32 PM.

Supporting Member
    Did either of you two go to the Final 2% site and read anything there, like I suggested?

And as Iíve pointed out beforeÖÖ.ALL of the money that a school might use to pay players would be coming from the FANS, either directly in the form of ticket sales, etc, or indirectly from TV/radio and the money the broadcasters generate through advertising sales.

Youíre just kidding yourself if you think that youíre not already contributing money to college athletics. The money any athletic department generates comes from the fans and nowhere else.
    Iím aware Iím contributing money. Itís just a bit different when youíre handing Tommy and sally 10 dollars a month for nothing. At least when I go to games itís for fun with my kids, or when I donate to the athletic fund itís going so that Tommy and sally can play the sport, or the coaches salaries or athletic facilities etc.

This is completely different.

If one day god willing this collective nonsense is gone and the schools pay directly and itís build into tickets or whatever, then fine.

I really donít see any difference between donating to an NIL, where the money goes directly to the players OR contributions to a school and the school then paying the players. Other than in the latter we are cutting out the middleman.

But I respect you guys for being consistent in your opposition. I just donít understand it.

Can we just leave it at that and move on?