Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Where do you get the idea they'd only have to pay half? And where do you get the low sum of 30K a year when there are guys making six and less so making 7 figures a year for NIL deals?
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    HA, that would be a good source!

Didn't even read it, I am a moron.
    It's actually a good question.

I landed on that by reading the proposal. But as to the question of how did THEY land on that, here are my thoughts, which are admittedly cynical, but I think they are also accurate....

They want to set up the parameters in a way so that almost no other schools other than themselves are able to join the subdivision. Most schools don't have 500 athletes. Most schools don't play FBS football, and of the ones that do play FBS football and have 500+ athletes, almost no one outside of the P4 will be able to afford to pay half of them $30k every year. It's an elite and exclusive club that they are creating for themselves.

There has always been this attitude of smugness and narcissism that has existed in college athletics, and in college football and basketball in particular, that i think is so toxic to the overall health, and popularity, and quality of the sport. "We have nothing to gain from you. We don't need you. Go sit over there now." While that has always existed, it seems to be particularly more prevalent in the last ten years or so. People say they love college athletics because in college, it's all about the game. That is the biggest load of crap. College sports are LESS about the game than any other sport on the planet. Century old conferences have realigned, century old rivalries have ended, and NONE of it happened because of anything that was "about the game." In no other part of the world can you just systematically avoid a team, or decide you don't want to be a part of a rivalry anymore, or have groups of teams that are collectively just shut out the way you do in college athletics.

That's (at least in part) what this is. Just in the Big East, you've got Wisconsin/Marquette, and Creighton/Nebraska, and Maryland/Georgetown (who don't play anymore anyway), or even X/UC. I think those schools will get some satisfaction out of being able to say "Yeah, you've played us evenly, or even dominated the series and completely outperformed us for the last decade or so, but it's not about the game anymore and we don't want it to be. We are now in the Elite Subdivision and you are not. We don't need you anymore. We have nothing to gain from you. Go sit over there now with the Atlantic Ten and the Horizon League."

That's the attitude that so many throughout D1 college athletics seem to have. And, unfortunately, it's NOT about the game. I sometimes wonder if it ever really was. Why play schools and try to beat them when you can just systematically shut them out instead?? That’s the attitude that exists. It couldn’t be any less “about the game.”
    Last edited by xubrew; 12-07-2023 at 10:25 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

You know what?? Fuck it!

It's such a shame that something that is so great between the lines of the field and court has to be lead by people that are not qualified to lead a search party that's looking for the big statue on Liberty Island, and that are at the same time so selfish that they'd just as soon burn their own loved ones at the stake if it was the only way they could think of to light their cigars.

College sports must have been great if these people haven't been able to completely ruin it yet. But, they really are getting close!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

This is just the NCAA leadership acknowledging what was already going to happen eventually. He’s basically just telling those schools that want to pay their players to go ahead and form their own organization. Those that don’t will stay in the current NCAA. Possibly return to the old rules. The new organization will conduct its own championships and run itself under its own rules. It probably would mean the end of the current 68 team tournament with all of its smaller conference schools being involved, and would replace it with 2 separate tournaments…one for the “pro” schools and one for the “amateur” schools.

Where does this leave X? Well, I can’t imagine any scenario where X is paying student athletes directly. Maybe they can afford it for some, but not across the board.

I'm taking a quick cut at this, so my apologies if I have missed some major, gaping thing.

Data source: https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...tics%20Program

KEY INSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENT FROM THIS PROPOSAL:

To enter the subdivision, a school must invest $30,000 per year per athlete into what is known as an "enhanced educational trust fund" for at least half of the school's athletes.

- - - - - - -

Total Number of Xavier Athletes, per above link: 367

There are 367 athletes who take part in at least one sport at the school, 181 men and 186 women. They receive, on average, about $16,654 in sports-related student aid to attend Xavier. On average, the school gave males around $15,096 of sports aid and women received about $18,171.

367 / 2 = 184 (rounded)

184 x $30,000 = $5,520,000

What Do We Look Like Financially Now in the AD?:

Xavier sports teams made $25,201,006 in revenue, but they did have to spend $25,201,006 for expenses. Although the school didn’t make any money, it didn’t lose any either!

Here we are back to that age old topic of AD accounting practices and procedures. Free Cash Flow obviously is the much more important metric here, but only the inner sanctum know what that looks like. I'm bringing this up here because I'm wondering out loud how much wiggle room we have as we presently exist. Beyond affordability, having to have or not requiring football certainly is something to watch with this - - I haven't stayed up on that issue.

- - - - - - -

MY VERY QUICK AND NOT ALL TOO WELL THOUGHT OUT BOTTOMLINE:

1. BE MEDIA AGREEMENT. Here we are with me harping about how important the next media agreement is for the Big East yet again, and understanding that the next media agreement may tee up "coverage" for a 6 to 10 year window. Who knows after that. Nonetheless, if it comes in at close to $9 million per school, then we can probably play in this sandbox, again, assuming that non-football schools are allowed into it. The shame of it will be that the additional $5 million'ish in funding will get soaked up by this, rather than being put into capital and other AD program improvements. And yes, I understand that $30k per student is the baseline number. The Ohio State's, Alabama's and USC's of the world may amp up that number, or they may have no reason to do so. Market forces - the value of the actual athletes they attract to their programs - and their own greed will dictate the pay scales at these schools.

2. WHICH PROGRAMS CAN TRULY AFFORD THIS? I'm back to thinking about how many athletic programs actually truly operate on what we can refer to as a healthy basis, given the accounting issues we know to exist. We have repeatedly heard that perhaps 20 or so athletic departments truly operate in the black. We've read that some programs in the major conferences actually operate in the red. No doubt this proposal is meant to establish an exclusive club. The issue is whether or not it could become too exclusive (see #3 below). Bigger public schools supported by substantial student fees coupled with reasonable media agreement payouts are set up well overall to join in. Five years from now, UC could be much more relevant than Wake Forest or BC, as an example, albeit with the obvious point that solid coaching must be in the mix to achieve win/loss success.

3. IF IT'S ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT THE ECONOMY, STUPID, THEN THIS IS ABOUT BEING ABOUT TV VIEWERSHIP, STUPID. If this proposal goes in the direction of inclusion for the B1G, the SEC and whatever is left as being relevant primarily from the ACC and Big XII - and who knows what Notre Dame is thinking right now - then its a small club in number that is supported by large fan bases. But what does that math look like? Here's the point: the closer this moves to true semi-pro status, the more likely that casual viewership exits stage left over time, or at least certainly reduces as the collegial feel of it all evaporates, at least IMHO.

If this goes the way of two full blown distinct organizations - THE CLUB and then what is left of the NCAA - how much media money will exist for each, based on what may transpire with the viewership numbers? At least I'd rather be in the fight with basketball only than having to duke it out as an NCAA scholarship football member.

- - - - - - -

I'll finish with what I absolutely know in my heart of hearts: that the NCAA Tournament as it exists is a unique, inclusive event that has been and will continue to be wildly successful if it remains in its current format. If the "CLUB" runs away and does its own thing, it will take a haircut, period, end of story. Yes, they'll have a lower denominator with which to divy it all up, but the "all" in the numerator will not look like what it looks like now.

If we can continue to participate in an NCAAT that doesn't change, and if we don't have to or are not allowed to join this thing, then we'll be fine. Imagine being able to continue to participate in the NCAAT as it exists without having to join this thing, and while still being in a viable Big East with a nice media agreement. We could certainly keep up under that scenario.

I've almost caught my tail, so I'll stop now.
    Last edited by xudash; 12-07-2023 at 02:25 PM.
    X A V I E R

BTW, interesting post from the HolyLandofHoops:

1. Whether a school opts in or out does NOT affect their FBS status (at least for now) or Division 1 status.

2. Whether a school plays FBS football, FCS football, or no football has no bearing on their ability to opt in or opt out.

3. Charlie Baker now thinks it will be closer to 100 schools opting in.

Here is who I think will opt in:

P4 (including ND)
    Big East (including UConn football)
    Gonzaga
    Oregon State
    Washington State
    MW (except for Air Force)
    AAC (except for Army and Navy)
    Liberty
    UTEP
    James Madison
    Appalachian State
    St. Louis
    Dayton
    VCU
    UMass

Total: 113 schools

I still think this gets interesting based on what transpires with the NCAAT.
    X A V I E R

I don’t see how schools that are not playing BIG TIME FOOTBALL will be able to afford this. I’m not even sure that all of the schools in the current power 5 will decide to go this route. I suspect that some of them will weigh the longterm impact on their budgets and profitability and decide not to go down this path. On the other hand, the schools that are annual members of the top 40 and are filling the major bowls year after year will need to stay in the fast lane.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    The Big East better get some lobbying done to fix that fucked up provision about needing to play FBS football. Otherwise, it's over for the Big East.
    Agreed. Frankly, I don’t see how that provision withstands a legitimate gender equity analysis. And that’s what the NCAA is advancing as an element of this bullshit.

Hope you can read this article about Cliff Ellis. It would seem the NIL and rat race that CBB has become, has claimed a good coach:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ellis-retires/
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Hope you can read this article about Cliff Ellis. It would seem the NIL and rat race that CBB has become, has claimed a good coach:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ellis-retires/
    Great article. The coaching ranks, at every level and in every sport, are filled with people like him that fly under the radar and aren’t as well known as others. Those that play for them and know them are the real winners.

Didn't Cliff Elllis cheat his ass off at Auburn?

I can't read the article, but I know Coastal is pretty bad this year. Why couldn't Cliff stick it out through March?