Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NCAA President Proposes That Schools Be Allowed to Directly Pay Players

This will probably be my only post of the year. Generally, if I feel there are too few degrees of separation from something, then I also feel it's better to stay away.

But, this has been proposed by Charlie Baker. I think it will pass and go into effect as early as July 2024. This all but ends amateurism. An amateur will now likely be considered a player who has not been paid to play on a non-scholastic team.

I kinda knew it had to happen sooner or later. Well, I guess it's now later and it's happening.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...nter-nil-deals
    Last edited by xubrew; 12-05-2023 at 01:35 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

This really fucking sucks.

Were schools losing player to cities with bigger car dealerships? Or Pizza joints? Or whatever?

For all the schools running in the red on their athletic budgets, this should really help them out.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    Wonder what that subdivision would really mean. How many teams? Would they have their own college football playoff and own March madness? Why does that need to be a part of this? Why the separation?

If this effs with the tourney and/or the college playoff that effing sucks. If it doesn’t, I don’t care.

So messed up.

This is why colleges in other countries don't have major college sports, and instead have lower tier professional leagues. Colleges are state sponsored institutions meant for the business of training and education. They aren't meant for running professional sports leagues.

I'm for going back to the fully amateur model and letting someone set up those lower tier professional leagues for those who don't want to go to college and get "exploited".

I don't know that exploited is the word for it with athletes honestly. They see what opportunities lay before them and it's now or never to take advantage.

The people being exploited are those having to pay for the programs they don't even have anything to do with, can't directly watch without having to pay more, and can have the programs they are involved with ignored because the football team needs a new this or that to recruit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Wonder what that subdivision would really mean. How many teams? Would they have their own college football playoff and own March madness? Why does that need to be a part of this? Why the separation?

If this effs with the tourney and/or the college playoff that effing sucks. If it doesn’t, I don’t care.
    It's possible, but I'm guessing it will not. I don't think the championships will be effected that much, if at all. That is simply my opinion, so you can take that for what it's worth.

The reason I feel that way is that the membership has to vote on this, and I just don't think they can get a majority vote if the end result is no NCAA Basketball Tournament.

What I do think will happen is a big expansion of Power Five concept where those five leagues had the power to make certain rules for themselves and not need the approval of the rest of the membership. I think it will basically be that on steroids. To be a part of the "subdivision" a school will have to play football at the FBS level, they will have to have a minimum number of athletes (probably 500 or so), and they'll have to pay at least half of them a minimum of $30,000 a year or more.

The "subdivision" will be able to make its own rules. Some that I would anticipate would be...

-No year of residence for players transferring in from outside the subdivision

-A fifth year of eligibility instead of just four

-raising (or eliminating altogether) the number of scholarships that are allowed

-the ability to schedule another school for the spring football game, and the ability to schedule two (or more) exhibition college basketball games in the summer

-they may make changes to academic eligibility, or they may just get rid of it entirely (probably not, but I bet they lighten it up some)

Who knows? They'll be able to pretty much do what they want, and it probably will create a huge competitive advantage. In fact, I don't see how it wouldn't create an even bigger competitive advantage than the one that already exists. Which sucks! It was kind of fun watching 15 seeds to go the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight these past few years.

I do think this will pass. I think a lot of people just want the court cases and the threat of anti-trust violations to go away, and I also think that as long as schools feel that their conferences can get at least one team into the basketball tournament, then that's good enough for them.

Again, that's just my opinion. I really don't know how it will actually play out. So, take it for what it's worth.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

The Big East better get some lobbying done to fix that fucked up provision about needing to play FBS football. Otherwise, it's over for the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    The Big East better get some lobbying done to fix that fucked up provision about needing to play FBS football. Otherwise, it's over for the Big East.
    In my mind though the football schools are at a disadvantage when it comes to payroll and medical expenses. Playing football is expensive. Didn't I recently see that the going rate for a QB is $2M per?