Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Day

Veterans Day

After serving our country in Korea my dad came home and used the GI Bill to attend Xavier University at night, while working at "The Milling Machine" and raising (eventually) 11 children. He is the reason I was born a Xavier fan (that and the fact that he named me after the great saint) and will die a Xavier fan.

Sitting on the floor in front of Schmidt's student section, looking up at giants coming out of bounds to get the wayward orange sphere, and spending cold (understatement) Saturdays at Corcoran with a thermos of hot chocolate and a grocery bag of popped corn are some badges of honor I attribute to my favorite veteran (I would mention that my mom and dad sat in the cozy crowded 50 yard line seats while we huddled under a blanket in the top left almost empty section, arguing over the last drop of hot chocolate - made with non-fat dry milk and clumped cocoa powder (yum)...but I'm over it)! I pretty sure I still have my Jr. Musketeer pin somewhere.

Thanks Pops. For your service. For my faith. For my fandom. For my life.
    Last edited by UCGRAD4X; 11-10-2023 at 06:50 AM.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

To all Muskie veterans...thanks for your service.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    Thank you all for your service. Will never know the realities of what is done to keep us all safe and free.

My dad served in Vietnam as a veterinarian for the bomb sniffing dogs. That’s all he has ever told me and I don’t dare ask.

Well said UCGRAD4X!

Happy Veterans day to my Dad and father-in-law (now both in Heaven)
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Amen
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    After serving our country in Korea my dad came home and used the GI Bill to attend Xavier University at night, while working at "The Milling Machine" and raising (eventually) 11 children. He is the reason I was born a Xavier fan (that and the fact that he named me after the great saint) and will die a Xavier fan.

Sitting on the floor in front of Schmidt's student section, looking up at giants coming out of bounds to get the wayward orange sphere, and spending cold (understatement) Saturdays at Corcoran with a thermos of hot chocolate and a grocery bag of popped corn are some badges of honor I attribute to my favorite veteran (I would mention that my mom and dad sat in the cozy crowded 50 yard line seats while we huddled under a blanket in the top left almost empty section, arguing over the last drop of hot chocolate - made with non-fat dry milk and clumped cocoa powder (yum)...but I'm over it)! I pretty sure I still have my Jr. Musketeer pin somewhere.

Thanks Pops. For your service. For my faith. For my fandom. For my life.
    Public reps. Thanks for sharing.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    To all Muskie veterans...thanks for your service.
    What Paul said.
    X A V I E R

Thanks to all past and present veterans! We all owe you a debt of gratitude. Great post UCGRAD4X!

My annual tribute to lost Muskies from Vietnam era:

Veteran's Day salute to my lost Xavier buddies
    I try to remember my guys annually as well as all who served our great nation. Mike Mc Cormick was my roommate @ X with 2 others in the Swifton Village his senior year. He was a great guy, an extremely hard worker, who worked p/t for his uncle in Cincy loading trucks. Sometimes I would tag along for some Dana's beer money. He studied all the time because learning wasn't automatic for him, he had to work at that also. We had some great times. Mike graduated in '68, joined the Marines immediately afterwards and was off to Quantico. He was commissioned in Nov. '68 as a 2LT and shipped to Vietnam Christmas week. Mike died saving his other platoon members in March '69. He was awarded the NavyCross, the second highest military award for valor in combat.
    I had another roommate by the name of Chuck Woyhian, my freshman year. He was a crazy man. Always laughing and smiling. Always had a joke. Couldn't hold down 2 beers. Also graduated in '68 and promptly got drafted into the Army. Chuck was a casualty of the Vietnam War, but you won't find his name on the wall. Chuck died in a training accident involving a Helicopter in a landing zone. I won't go into the details. He was from another small town, Kankakee, ill. which, of course became his nickname @ X.
    https://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/3...L-P-MCCORMICK/

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Second Lieutenant Michael P. McCormick (MCSN: 0-107462), United States Marine Corps Reserve, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Platoon Commander with Company D, First Battalion, Fourth Marines, THIRD Marine Division (Reinforced), Fleet Marine Force, in the Republic of Vietnam on 20 March 1969. Second Lieutenant McCormick and a fire team from his platoon were heli-lifted into an area north of Khe Sanh as the assault element in an operation to secure Fire Support Base Argonne. Immediately upon disembarking from the aircraft, the entire team was pinned down by a heavy volume of fire from hostile soldiers occupying fortified bunkers overlooking the landing zone. Reacting fearlessly, Second Lieutenant McCormick moved across the fire-swept terrain from one man to another and, shouting words of encouragement, restored their confidence. Under cover of machine gun fire, he then initiated an aggressive assault upon the bunkers, and charging up the slope, he and his three-man team stormed and systematically destroyed three of the fortifications with hand grenades and close-range rifle fire, thereby providing security for the remaining Marines landing in the zone. Later that day, Second Lieutenant McCormick led one of his squads during a search and destroy operation in the surrounding area and encountered intense automatic weapons fire from a well-concealed emplacement. Repeated attempts by the Marines to recover their injured point man were thwarted by machine gun fire from concealed enemy soldiers. Unwilling to risk further Marine casualties, second Lieutenant McCormick directed his squad to provide protective fire and, with complete disregard for his own safety, maneuvered toward the casualty. He had almost attained his objective when he was mortally wounded by hostile fire. By his heroic actions, aggressive fighting spirit and unwavering devotion to duty, Second Lieutenant McCormick upheld the highest traditions of the Marine corps. he gave his life so that others could live.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 11-10-2023 at 03:39 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16

https://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/2...-KATZENBERGER/
    Came back every year to play catcher for the Muskies. Bronze Medal for Valor. He could have gotten a ROTC commission but decided to just join up.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 11-10-2023 at 03:30 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16