Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

They are 10-4 and apparently didnt get the memo about how long it would take to gel...
    In you original post, you clearly expected this team to play well as soon as they stepped on the court. You wanted "a sense of urgency with no excuses".

You asked how long it would take this team to gel.

My guess is it will take longer than 2 months, but who knows.

Did you want someone to give you an exact answer? No one has a crystal ball.

The season is a lifetime.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    In you original post, you clearly expected this team to play well as soon as they stepped on the court. You wanted "a sense of urgency with no excuses".

You asked how long it would take this team to gel.

My guess is it will take longer than 2 months, but who knows.

Did you want someone to give you an exact answer? No one has a crystal ball.

The season is a lifetime.
    Well, what I actually thought is that this idea of "gelling" is overrated.

If we were going to be good, then we'd be good early and stay good late.

And if we are going to be bad, we'd be bad early and stay bad late.

This idea of gelling almost requires that we start "bad" and end "good." I'm not convinced this team will be any better in March than it was in December.

I was HOPING we'd be Good/ Good, and now I'm thinking BEST case is that we are Bad / Good and gelling was in fact a real thing.

but if we are bad /bad, then I think it's fair to say that the idea of gelling might just be horseshit.

Supporting Member
    This team is far better now, than they were in November/December already so I think they will be even better in March.

Miller even pointed this out to Quincy in the latest podcast and q agreed. Some of it is playing together, some of it are people taking leadership roles and some of it is people understanding their roles. All of that has to do with a team gelling. How you can think “gelling” is horseshit is very odd to me.

Well, what I actually thought is that this idea of "gelling" is overrated.

If we were going to be good, then we'd be good early and stay good late.

And if we are going to be bad, we'd be bad early and stay bad late.

This idea of gelling almost requires that we start "bad" and end "good." I'm not convinced this team will be any better in March than it was in December.

I was HOPING we'd be Good/ Good, and now I'm thinking BEST case is that we are Bad / Good and gelling was in fact a real thing.

but if we are bad /bad, then I think it's fair to say that the idea of gelling might just be horseshit.
    They couldn’t even put some defensive principals into practice until the break because three players that play got to the states in August and September and also had to teach two other freshman that play as well. So 5 guys in the regular rotation are either freshman or just arrived in a new country. You saw some of the wrinkles they were able to add after the Seton Hall game against Nova. If you think teams can’t get better as the year goes on, I guess you didn’t watch the 2003-2004 Xavier team.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Maybe. I don't remember X easily getting 10 victories with or without Freemantle.

Seems like the euro frosh need at least 2 more years of body development, gain a lot strength.
    They did the last two years. Started out 15-3 with Zach last year and 14-3 the year before that. Crazy to start 14-3 and miss the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    This team is far better now, than they were in November/December already so I think they will be even better in March.

Miller even pointed this out to Quincy in the latest podcast and q agreed. Some of it is playing together, some of it are people taking leadership roles and some of it is people understanding their roles. All of that has to do with a team gelling. How you can think “gelling” is horseshit is very odd to me.
    Well, the product that I'm seeing doesnt appear to be any better than the slop we rolled out against Oakland and Delaware. So, we can all talk about "playing together" or "leading more" or whatever and we can declare that we've improved in these areas but the reality is that our performacne is best measured by wins and losses. And I dont see a difference.

I still see the following: poor shooting even on open looks, ball doesnt move offensively, too much interior fouling, not getting to the line, sloppy TOs

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    They couldn’t even put some defensive principals into practice until the break because three players that play got to the states in August and September and also had to teach two other freshman that play as well. So 5 guys in the regular rotation are either freshman or just arrived in a new country. You saw some of the wrinkles they were able to add after the Seton Hall game against Nova. If you think teams can’t get better as the year goes on, I guess you didn’t watch the 2003-2004 Xavier team.
    if you are trying to make a point, but need to go back 20 seasons to provide an example, maybe the point is a little less meaningful than you nare letting on....

if you are trying to make a point, but need to go back 20 seasons to provide an example, maybe the point is a little less meaningful than you nare letting on....
    The defense is better than November. The quality of competition is also better.
    I do believe this X squad has figured out best rotations and is close to "above average"
    We have been very patient.

Supporting Member
    Well, the product that I'm seeing doesnt appear to be any better than the slop we rolled out against Oakland and Delaware. So, we can all talk about "playing together" or "leading more" or whatever and we can declare that we've improved in these areas but the reality is that our performacne is best measured by wins and losses. And I dont see a difference.

I still see the following: poor shooting even on open looks, ball doesnt move offensively, too much interior fouling, not getting to the line, sloppy TOs
    If you choose to continue to ignore what miller and the players say I guess that’s your prerogative. Defense is miles ahead of what it was, they are limiting unforced tos, and the competition is better. If you think this team loses to Oakland and Delaware now, then I'm not quite sure what you are watching.
    Last edited by Xville; 01-09-2024 at 07:38 AM.

That was one example. Creighton last year lost 6 in a row, started 6 and 6 and went to the elite 8. This team that lost to Oakland and Delaware has since beat a pretty good Cincinnati team, beat Seton Hall by 20 who has won at Providence, beat UConn and beat Marquette and this team lost a game by 1 at Nova, which they should have won. To say they have not improved is confusing.

The defense now is much improved from where they were and they will get better just because they will get more comfortable playing together and the young guys will continue to figure it out. Also since Xavier lost to Delaware and Oakland Dayvion McKnight is shooting 53% from 3, 8 of 15. He was 2 of 13 prior to that. Trey Green is shooting 44% from 3 over his last 4 games after starting the year at 25% after 9 games. If Trey, Quincy and Dayvion continue to be a threat it will open everything else up and they will win games. Lastly Sean Miller is the coach and he knows what he is doing.