Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    BTW. Front page article in today's WSJ claims NCAA has made proposal to Division I colleges that would allow these schools to directly pay their athletes. Maybe this proposal, if accepted, would eliminate NIL, perhaps not. But it clearly is a shift in philosophy by the NCAA.
    That would be worse for college athletics than NIL. Title IX would come into play where it doesn't currently with NIL.

Matt Jones from KSR thinks the NCAA is proposing this as a way for politicians to step in and make rules regarding NIL in college athletics. He doesn't think the NCAA actually wants this (which I agree with, it would be a complete 180 from decades worth of comments on the matter).
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

So how do we use the momentum from the win over the hated Bearcats to save this seemingly doomed season? Winthrop is next, and they seem to be a pretty good team, honestly. Hopefully the guys have learned that they need to focus in on one game at a time and not take anyone lightly.

I'm not sure if Trey Green is just sick, or if he's essentially out of the rotation. Will be interesting to see how much he plays against Winthrop. Djokovic needs to play a lot better, and Gytis needs to toughen up a lot. And hopefully the transfers keep up their strong play from last night.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    So how do we use the momentum from the win over the hated Bearcats to save this seemingly doomed season? Winthrop is next, and they seem to be a pretty good team, honestly. Hopefully the guys have learned that they need to focus in on one game at a time and not take anyone lightly.

I'm not sure if Trey Green is just sick, or if he's essentially out of the rotation. Will be interesting to see how much he plays against Winthrop. Djokovic needs to play a lot better, and Gytis needs to toughen up a lot. And hopefully the transfers keep up their strong play from last night.
    Sean said in his post game presser that he was going to shorten the bench some and that guys were going to have to earn "more" playing time in practice. He needs the bench to be productive when they play.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post

Didn't realize Green played so little until I checked the box score. I don't know how many minutes per game he has been averaging but the four he played last night might make one question his place in the rotation. I did notice, when he was out on the floor, how much smaller he was than the guys he was guarding. Perhaps potential defensive shortcomings contributed to his lack of playing time. But also, McKnight, Olivari and Claude played so well and the game was so tight, there wasn't much opportunity for Green.

That was a great game last night. For those that weren't there, the crowd, I think, gets the "W". I cannot imagine we would have won this game at U.C.

To your point, going forward, despite great guard play last night, we MUST get more from the Euros. Last night, the three logged 53 minutes total and collectively contributed seven boards and twelve points. Djokovic started, played nineteen minutes, grabbed one rebound and had two points. Not trying to be glass half empty guy, but that is pretty pitiful. We are not going to impact the Big East unless we get better production from our frontcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    That was a great game last night. For those that weren't there, the crowd, I think, gets the "W". I cannot imagine we would have won this game at U.C.
    Agreed. I’m usually kind of quiet, but even I was loud last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

I remember a Xavier team, figuring things out at 10-9 until a beautiful moment when a guard decided enough was enough and led that team to victory over UC. That team then went on a tear...a RUN really. Perhaps history will repeat itself.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Supporting Member
    Wish that x had found a way to beat Washington. I think they are going to end up being a tourney team. They just beat Gonzaga to move to 6-3 and are probably a top 3-4 pac team.

In some good news, st Mary’s MAY have righted the ship. They just won at Colorado state to move to .500 . Hopefully, they are getting better, and the early season struggles are behind them.
    Last edited by Xville; 12-11-2023 at 08:08 AM.

Supporting Member
    Quincy is starting to become a favorite of mine. X needs that kind of swagger, and he seems to have a bit of that dog in him we have been searching for. He should be fun to watch during be conference play. Have a feeling he’s going to quiet some programs on the road.

The 85% from the line was so huge obviously. Keep it going boys!
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Junior
    Losing both those bye games really hurts. Even losing just one, the outlook would be much different. I do see Sean’s vision and the best is yet to come this year. Outside the big 3, there won’t be one big East game I go into thinking it’s going to be a long shot to win. And I think we snag a couple from those top 3 teams. Still a lot to overcome, and I wouldn’t bet on X making the tournament, but my hope today is way higher than it was Saturday morning. The season still has some life to it.