Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I loved the podcast, except for one thing.
    There was zero mention of the most important recruit that Bob Staak was able to get- Anthony Hicks from
    Birmingham Alabama. He was a true game changer.
    I would have loved to hear the story as to how they got Anthony to commit.
    He’s an XU Hall of Famer the first year he was eligible and scored 1,805 career points!
    How can he be forgotten??
    Good question about Anthony Hicks. He was a terrific player who changed the trajectory of Xavier basketball under Staak’s guidance. One of Xavier’s best players ever.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I loved the podcast, except for one thing.
    There was zero mention of the most important recruit that Bob Staak was able to get- Anthony Hicks from
    Birmingham Alabama. He was a true game changer.
    I would have loved to hear the story as to how they got Anthony to commit.
    He’s an XU Hall of Famer the first year he was eligible and scored 1,805 career points!
    How can he be forgotten??
    Are you kidding me? The most important recruit by Coach Staak, far and away, was Byron Effing Larkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Are you kidding me? The most important recruit by Coach Staak, far and away, was Byron Effing Larkin.
    Byron Larkin would have never come to X without the hope of success that Anthony Hicks provided by his play and leadership.
    Not a question.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    Just listened today. Did hear Sean say something quick that I thought was interesting. Talking about bringing more players back, celebrating the program more etc. he mentioned retiring more numbers,

I do like that it’s very hard to get your Jersey in the banners, but I think there could be a few more. And when it’s brought up, Mario has said there are a few “unofficial” retired numbers. I think Tre absolutely deserves to be up there

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Just listened today. Did hear Sean say something quick that I thought was interesting. Talking about bringing more players back, celebrating the program more etc. he mentioned retiring more numbers,

I do like that it’s very hard to get your Jersey in the banners, but I think there could be a few more. And when it’s brought up, Mario has said there are a few “unofficial” retired numbers. I think Tre absolutely deserves to be up there
    Tre is the obvious next retired number.

The only others that could have an argument (in my years of fandom, 90's on) are Tu and Sato.

As it stands now, given how hard it has been (rightfully so) I think Tre is the only one that happens.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Tre is the obvious next retired number.

The only others that could have an argument (in my years of fandom, 90's on) are Tu and Sato.

As it stands now, given how hard it has been (rightfully so) I think Tre is the only one that happens.
    I don’t disagree about Tre, at all, but this also needs to happen for Tu. It just does. No one ever competed harder for our program.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    I don’t disagree about Tre, at all, but this also needs to happen for Tu. It just does. No one ever competed harder for our program.
    A lot of guys have competed hard for Xavier (Burrell and JP come to mind) so that wouldn't be my qualifier for inclusion. However, Tu has a lot else going for him in the discussion as well. I would have no qualms if they decided to retire his number. I just think the only lock to happen is Tre. Tu could happen, and I would be thrilled if it did, but he is a little more on the fringe.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Agreed. Tre is so obvious. He did things no other Muskie has (won big East, leader of the 1 seed team) while still reaching elite 8. He’s a no brainer under even current difficulty of getting number retired.

Tu would be in discussion if it loosens up more, though.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    A lot of guys have competed hard for Xavier (Burrell and JP come to mind) so that wouldn't be my qualifier for inclusion. However, Tu has a lot else going for him in the discussion as well. I would have no qualms if they decided to retire his number. I just think the only lock to happen is Tre. Tu could happen, and I would be thrilled if it did, but he is a little more on the fringe.
    I guess I thought Tu’s talent/skill went without saying, but whatever. Regardless, I think the opposite; Tre deserves it, but Tu first.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    I guess I thought Tu’s talent/skill went without saying, but whatever. Regardless, I think the opposite; Tre deserves it, but Tu first.
    Agreed. Tu over anyone. He should get it before anyone just for the bullshit he had to deal with from Graham and the rest of the x admin.