Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    As long as the game is share broadcast on the Xavier app, I really don’t care. Just keep the TV deal.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    My guess, Bearcats don't want to share. Or maybe due to Cunningham's stunt with Huggins, X told the Big One to eff off. Truthfully I haven't listened to a game on radio for years, but do occasionally listen to post game.
    Xavier has done games on 55KRC for years, but it's not just because of UC. They also have Reds conflicts once you get to spring training season.

There's also the possibility of a better deal with either ESPN 1530 or Fox Sports 1360; I'd be fine with either station as long as there's some more consistency.

I certainly don't think it's a matter of Xavier going woke, but I'd love to see the pearl clutching from the board if that ever happens to be the case.

I usually turn the commentators on the TV off and listen on the radio. Joe and Byron concentrate on the game in front of them and not on telling stories about other games and coaches. Some of the TV guys are just brutal to listen to. The exception being Johnson and Raff. I do hope that they stay on WLW as much as they can because of its strong signal and thus its reach to markets outside of Cincinnati that 55 can’t reach. I’d say that getting X games on WLW, and reaching a much wider audience than WVXU could reach, was an important part of bringing X BB into the mainstream. It kind of gave them some credibility that they had lacked before. I’d hate to see that go away completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Olsingledigit View Post
    The only potential black mark on all of this is the rumor that we might not be on WKRC/WLW this season. Unconfirmed.
    Has there been any legitimate discussion about this?

I find it extremely difficult to believe Xavier would cut ties with a 50,000 watt blow torch like WLW because of Bob Huggins or Willie Cunningham.

People who think this should happen need a thicker skin. It is better for Xavier to be on WLW whenever possible, and their sister stations when there is a conflict.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I'm taking a look forward. Humor me, or call me nuts.
    While you may be crazy...I am NUTS. So I will humor you...
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Has there been any legitimate discussion about this?

I find it extremely difficult to believe Xavier would cut ties with a 50,000 watt blow torch like WLW because of Bob Huggins or Willie Cunningham.

People who think this should happen need a thicker skin. It is better for Xavier to be on WLW whenever possible, and their sister stations when there is a conflict.
    Agreed. I can't see X going off WLW.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Just brainstorming ways this could go. Couple questions for the gallery:

Have you ever heard of a conference signing up with a national media outlet on radio?

I have never paid attention to this. Maybe if Big East is trying to stick with Fox Sports they will do a deal with them for radio. More national ads. We do have a Fox Sports radio station, 1360, which is owned by iHeart Media. Not the same reach, but if other Fox Sports Radio stations carry the Big East games it could be an overall plus.

AM radio is fighting to hold on. Could XU be taking the tiff with WLW as an opportunity to shop around the FM dial?

There might be an iHeart competitor, like Hubbard or Cumulus, just looking to step in. Especially if they use one of the digital second stations.

I don't have AM in my 2022 EV vehicle. EV auto manufactures are trying to ditch it because electric engines interfere with the sound of AM stations. But Ford wants to drop it from gas cars too. WLW does have a FM repeater station, which sounds a million times better than the AM, but isn't nearly as strong of a signal across the region. Still, FM sounds better listening to the game! And WLW people pretty much suck top to bottom. Who needs that?

I used to work in radio. It never would have occurred to me to think this when my career began, but AM radio is marching to its slow death. WLW is strong in Cincinnati, but overall listeners are moving away from AM.

This is why I stream 1530 or 700 through iheart radio instead of using the actual radio. It's so much clearer
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    The one downside of streaming radio is there's more of a delay if you're trying to sync up with the television. But that can be worked around if you're savvy enough with the TV/DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    The one downside of streaming radio is there's more of a delay if you're trying to sync up with the television. But that can be worked around if you're savvy enough with the TV/DVR.
    I don't think dealing with a timing pain in the ass is savvy. I do enjoy Byron and Joe more. Tried it. Not worth it.