Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerCecil View Post
    84-46 loss to Butler (13-13, 5-10 Big East) last night in Indianapolis.

It's on the road to Marquette (20-6, 9-6) and No. 21 Creighton (21-4, 12-3), both projected NCAA tournament teams, followed by a home finale against Georgetown (17-10, 7-9) to round out the regular season.

A first-round game in the Big East tournament at 4 p.m. on March 8 in Connecticut should end the season at 1-27.
    Can they just forfeit and save the cost of the plane to NYC?
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerCecil View Post
    84-46 loss to Butler (13-13, 5-10 Big East) last night in Indianapolis.

It's on the road to Marquette (20-6, 9-6) and No. 21 Creighton (21-4, 12-3), both projected NCAA tournament teams, followed by a home finale against Georgetown (17-10, 7-9) to round out the regular season.

A first-round game in the Big East tournament at 4 p.m. on March 8 in Connecticut should end the season at 1-27 with 44 straight losses against Big East foes.

This is indeed rock bottom, but the bigger question is how long it will stay rock bottom.
    I'm afraid of what the answer to this is going to end up being...

Wait. #2 Ohio State is coached by Kevin McGuff? WTH?
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    For the past decade.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    He left Xavier to take over Ohio State and has been there ever since.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulFritschner View Post
    He left Xavier to take over Ohio State and has been there ever since.
    I believe he left X for Washington, before coming back to Ohio State.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    He also coached Kelsey Plum at Washington - she had been the women's all-time NCAA leading scorer until Caitlin Clark smashed her record.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    He also coached Kelsey Plum at Washington - she had been the women's all-time NCAA leading scorer until Caitlin Clark smashed her record.
    Kelsey Plum's freshman year was the the first year after McGuff left Washington. Mike Neighbors coached Plum at UW. McGuff did coach Kelsey Mitchell at Ohio State, who finished her college career second in career points behind Plum.
    Neighbors was McGuff's top assistant at Xavier and followed him to Washington.

That's right, my bad on that. I always forget about those two quick years for him at UW.

Supporting Member
    I went to the luncheon on Saturday with the coaching staff and Greg Christopher to explain their plan moving forward. Came away feeling fairly mixed on the issue.

The coaching staff could not have been nicer. Ashlee Kelly sat at our table for a while and answered any questions we had. She was very direct and honest about where the program is and the work they have to move it forward.

Sounds like they are going to put a priority on overseas recruiting, since those players are not impacted by NIL (their visas do not allow them to earn money). This will allow them to stretch the NIL money they do have further on the American born players.

Further, she said the through line of competitive teams in Big East are typically 2 studs and then a collection of role players. They know those top players are going to cost them a good portion of their NIL budget. They want to make sure they develop a good core of players that buy into the program as role players, but that will take time as typically those type of players need to be in the program for a few years.

Coach Chambers also said that because of injuries she is playing a lot of players 30-40 minutes that should only being playing 10-15 minutes at this point in their career. This is why there have been multiple games where we hung around through a couple of quarters and disappear towards the end of the game. She is happy with the development of the younger players, and thinks that they can build off of them.

A lot of the program, especially Greg Christopher's portion, centered around NIL being the answer. While I have no doubt that if we had an unlimited NIL budget we could buy our way out of this hole, but overall this seems like a bullshit excuse to move the blame off of Christopher and onto the fans for not paying enough into NIL.

The program hasn't finished about 7th in any league since McGuff left. We were sucking long before NIL was permitted, so that cannot be the root cause of the problem. Further, in the NIL discussion, there is never a mention on where we stack up with other Big East women's teams. I simply cannot believe that the mid-tier teams in the Big East are rolling in NIL money for their women's basketball team and that is the difference between where they are performing and where we are in the standing.

Hopefully, this staff can turn it around. However, I am not buying that we are $100k in NIL from being competitive moving forward.