Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023-24 Bengals

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Also, what is Tee's market? Top what paid reciver?

With needing to sign Burrow and Chase later, the Bengals would probably be smart, imo, not to sign Tee to a massive contract. Especially if they have one of the best GM's in the league who can find another WR in the draft. WR is a premium position I know, and as someone who isn't a Bengals fan I'm not as well versed on their roster and who else they need to sign etc, but essentially paying two guys #1 WR money while also having the highest paid QB is a tall task while not ignoring the rest of the roster.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I think Burrow wants Tee to stay so is willing to get creative - whatever that means, maybe a rolling contract. And I want Tee to stay. He's a legit number 1 receiver who actually played better when Chase was injured. He's learned to get better separation and has some of the best hands in football. Maybe it will end up costing too much to keep them both but the Bengals need to do whatever they can to keep Tee here.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Also, what is Tee's market? Top what paid reciver?

With needing to sign Burrow and Chase later, the Bengals would probably be smart, imo, not to sign Tee to a massive contract. Especially if they have one of the best GM's in the league who can find another WR in the draft. WR is a premium position I know, and as someone who isn't a Bengals fan I'm not as well versed on their roster and who else they need to sign etc, but essentially paying two guys #1 WR money while also having the highest paid QB is a tall task while not ignoring the rest of the roster.
    I agree that it's probably not in the Bengals' best interest to sign Chase, Burrow, and Higgins to Mega-contracts. If all 3 want to take a little less to stay together I'd love that, but we have to pay a defense and O-line if we really want to win a Super Bowl.

I also don't really get the vibe that Burrow is willing to take a massive home town discount, or I think he would already be signed.

Sign Burrow first then see if you can sign Higgins without breaking the bank.
    Eat Donuts!

I think the main reason he hasn’t signed is the team stopped negotiating when he got hurt. Mike Brown isn’t going to agree to a contract with boatload of guaranteed money to an injured player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

I don't why they would stop negotiating with Joey B...he's the franchise. They drafted some good wr's in Yochi and Charlie Jones.
    2023 Sweet 16

Spotrac had Burrows Market Value at $54M per year which would make him highest paid in the league.

They also have the following for next year's Bengal UFAs.
    Higgins - $22.7M
    Reader - $16M
    Boyd - $15.2M
    Williams - 14.9M
    Smith - $10.3M

Chase currently at $24.9M

We know they don’t WANT to pay all these guys, because they are the Bengals. I have to wonder IF they CAN sign these guys due to all the guaranteed money involved that has to go into escrow. Are they just cheap, or are they also “poor” by NFL standards?

Going to be tough to have 47.6 million a year invested in 2 guys at the same position.

The Chiefs didn't even want to invest big money at that position for 1 guy, knowing the others on their team who needed to sign. And they still won the SB.

If Burrow is really the #2 QB in the league (and I think he is) the Bengals don't need to pay 2 WR's #1 WR money.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 09-06-2023 at 01:31 PM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Going to be tough to have 47.6 million a year invested in 2 guys at the same position.

The Chiefs didn't even want to invest big money at that position for 1 guy, knowing the others on their team who needed to sign. And they still won the SB.

If Burrow is really the #2 QB in the league (and I think he is) the Bengals don't need to pay 2 WR's #1 WR money.
    That would mean about $100 Mil of cap money for three players. I don’t know what kind of team you can field with all that money going to just 3 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    That would mean about $100 Mil of cap money for three players. I don’t know what kind of team you can field with all that money going to just 3 guys.
    All on the same side of the ball.

Burrow is terrific, for sure, but I’m not worried (as a Bills fan) long term about the Bengals. I just don’t think they can sustain it by having the cash to pay everyone.

The Raiders a few years ago lost some key pieces because they just plain could not afford to put up all the guaranteed money. The salary cap does NOT create an even playing field. The advantage still goes to the wealthiest.

Josh Allen’s deal is now old news, but that was $150 Mil guaranteed that had to go into escrow when he signed that deal. Can the Bengals handle that plus more for Burrows, and still keep the team around him when their deals are up, many as soon as next year?