Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Tuition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Xavier Tuition

My wife and I were cleaning out some boxes in the basement today and came across the Xavier catalog from 1978-1979. Full time tuition for a semester was $1,200. Room was $350 for Brockman and $365 for everywhere else. Board was $415 or $440 depending on the meal plan. At the high end, that’s $2,005 for a semester. Factoring in inflation from this website, https://www.usinflationcalculator.com, that’s $9,352 in today’s dollars.

Tuition today is $23,948. Room is $3,760 for Kuhlman. Board is $3,350. That’s a total of $31,058. I’m sure other universities have similar numbers. Can any of them really justify the increase? This is a bubble that has to burst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

$62k per year? Lol. Not that my kids are really interested, but there's no way I'd pay even half of that for Xavier. If my kid got full tuition, I might kick in for room and board. Too many good (or at least good enough) state schools that are so much cheaper.

Seriously, there are people writing two $31k checks per year to send their kids to...Xavier?!? That's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    $62k per year? Lol. Not that my kids are really interested, but there's no way I'd pay even half of that for Xavier. If my kid got full tuition, I might kick in for room and board. Too many good (or at least good enough) state schools that are so much cheaper.

Seriously, there are people writing two $31k checks per year to send their kids to...Xavier?!? That's crazy.
    State schools aren't really any cheaper. They are usually more expense after all is said and done. Miami, OU, OSU, UC all have lower tuition in theory but give little to no financial aid, whereas Xavier will give 30k plus a year in financial aid. When I went to Xavier is was my cheapest option against mostly all state schools. You can go to Wright State and end up in way more debt than going to Xavier.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehoya View Post
    State schools aren't really any cheaper. They are usually more expense after all is said and done. Miami, OU, OSU, UC all have lower tuition in theory but give little to no financial aid, whereas Xavier will give 30k plus a year in financial aid. When I went to Xavier is was my cheapest option against mostly all state schools. You can go to Wright State and end up in way more debt than going to Xavier.
    Currently, In state tuition at wright state is 13,852 out of state is 23,270. Xavier is 62… even with 30-40k in aid and scholarships which is a ton, your last sentence doesn’t make sense to me.

Also, maybe things have changed but as far as financial aid, it didn’t take much earnings to get little or squat in terms of aid twenty years ago. Maybe that’s changed with the ridiculous price tag.
    Last edited by Xville; 06-20-2023 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Currently, In state tuition at wright state is 13,852 out of state is 23,270. Xavier is 62… even with 30-40k in aid and scholarships which is a ton, your last sentence doesn’t make sense to me.

Also, maybe things have changed but as far as financial aid, it didn’t take much earnings to get little or squat in terms of aid twenty years ago. Maybe that’s changed with the ridiculous price tag.
    Do those Wright State numbers include room & board? The $62 for X does.

Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Do those Wright State numbers include room & board? The $62 for X does.

Yep everything

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post

I could have went to Wright State, my brother did, if I did I would have came out 52k in debt. I went to Xavier and came out with 28k. The amount of aid given is a huge factor.

Supporting Member
    I could have went to Wright State, my brother did, if I did I would have came out 52k in debt. I went to Xavier and came out with 28k. The amount of aid given is a huge factor.
    Damn so you went to x for less than 8k a year? Impressive

State schools aren't really any cheaper.
    I have significant doubts. My first is going on athletic scholarship, so I don't have to worry about that tuition garbage (she's let me know that her scholarship means I'm on the hook for grad school instead). We'll see in a few years when child #2 gets ready to hit community college!

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I have significant doubts. My first is going on athletic scholarship, so I don't have to worry about that tuition garbage (she's let me know that her scholarship means I'm on the hook for grad school instead). We'll see in a few years when child #2 gets ready to hit community college!
    Congrats on the free ride….at least for now! It makes a huge difference. Between good grades and Florida Pre-paid purchased when he was in diapers, undergrad degrees were basically free. Masters? Not so much. He did a 5th year at FSU for Masters in accounting. We had to pay, but it kind of felt like “just more school”.

A two year MBA from Emory was about $85k, and almost all done on-line during Covid. Almost didn’t go to graduation because he’d been to campus so few times (while working full time). Somehow, that last one stings more than everything else that led up to it.