Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

People In Ohio Cannot Drive!!

Every time I return to Ohio, and Cincinnati in particular but it's true all over the state, I'm reminded of how no one in the entire state knows how to drive. They sure as hell don't understand drive right, pass left. If you're anywhere in the country and some asshole is driving slow in the left lane, chances are they've got an Ohio plate.

I am quickly becoming a one issue voter. My issue is ten years in prison for anyone who drives slow in the fast lane! My definition of slow is any speed that does not exceed how fast the drivers to the right of them are going!! And OHIO IS GROUND ZERO FOR THAT!!!

New York, Atlanta, Chicago, and Boston are not fun cities to drive in, but at least everyone out on the road has the same objective, and that's that they are presumably going somewhere and want to get there without wasting any time. In Ohio, I don't think most of the drivers are actually going to a particular place, and they waste all the the time in the world getting there, and they DRIVE SLOW IN THE FAST LANE!!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Every time I return to Ohio, and Cincinnati in particular but it's true all over the state, I'm reminded of how no one in the entire state knows how to drive. They sure as hell don't understand drive right, pass left. If you're anywhere in the country and some asshole is driving slow in the left lane, chances are they've got an Ohio plate.

I am quickly becoming a one issue voter. My issue is ten years in prison for anyone who drives slow in the fast lane! My definition of slow is any speed that does not exceed how fast the drivers to the right of them are going!! And OHIO IS GROUND ZERO FOR THAT!!!
    My biggest pet peeve. I love driving through the states that have signs about how the left lane is for passing and driving slow in it is a ticketable offense.

I don't think people understand that it doesn't matter even if you are driving "fast", if there is no one to your right impeding you, get over, and if someone is coming up behind you in the left, clearing going faster, get over once you can.

I have to say though, I don't believe this is just an Ohio issue, but I wouldn't argue Ohio is bad at this.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I

I totally agree with your position, although I would add Kentucky drivers to your list of left-laners. Everywhere I have lived except here, it was illegal to pass on the right. Here, it's a requirement if you want to get anywhere at a reasonable pace. I had a colleague who actually said to my face that she drives in the left lane to help enforce speed limits!!! She's a friend, and I like her. But she grew up here, and therefore is f**ing clueless about how nuts a position that is to take.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Little too much coffee this morning Brew?

I like passing slow cars on the right, and staring right through them with a "what the fuck" look on my face.

It is passive, but enough to get my point across without causing a road rage incident.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

New York, Atlanta, Chicago, and Boston are not fun cities to drive in, but at least everyone out on the road has the same objective, and that's that they are presumably going somewhere and want to get there without wasting any time. In Ohio, I don't think most of the drivers are actually going to a particular place, and they waste all the the time in the world getting there, and they DRIVE SLOW IN THE FAST LANE!!!
    It sounds like you’ve had experience driving on German autobahn’s. If that isn’t the case, then don’t go over now or your head will really explode when you come home.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    It sounds like you’ve had experience driving on German autobahn’s. If that isn’t the case, then don’t go over now or your head will really explode when you come home.
    If you're in the fast lane there, cruising comfortably at 200 kph after passing someone, and a Porsche going 225 comes up behind you, they politely flash their lights and you move over. Here, someone might decide to shoot you.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I've been on the autbahn several times. I love it!! If you drive slow in the fast lane on that thing you'd probably get arrested. What has happened to the autobahn?? Did a bunch of Ohio drivers make their way to Germany and break the whole thing??

EDIT: I misread your post. I thought you were saying something had happened to the autobahn that would make my head explode.
    Last edited by xubrew; 06-05-2023 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Little too much coffee this morning Brew?

I like passing slow cars on the right, and staring right through them with a "what the fuck" look on my face.

It is passive, but enough to get my point across without causing a road rage incident.
    Other way around. No coffee at all!!!!

Driving for a living and seeing buckeyes in every state hog the left lane, I came up with a way to eliminate their lack of highway etiquette.
    First you pass them on the right as has been discussed and be courteous give them plenty of space and then move back over into the left lane then proceed to slow down about 2-3 mph slower than what they are doing and watch the ignorance run wild. They’ll ride right up your ass and start cussing and telling you to move over and you keep ignoring them. They’ll finally get sick of it and go to pass you on the right. As they make said move, you stand on it and speed up to a nice comfortable speed so they can’t pass you. Be prepared, you’re either going to get into a helluva race or you’ve educated the moron. What can then happen is they realize you may have just been preoccupied texting so they’ll leisurely come back to the left lane. Then you drop back down to 2-3 mph slower than them and repeat.
    The best is when they’re so stupid they actually keep their 5 car lengths behind you no matter how much you slow down. I had one poor old codger follow me 5 miles at 50mph in a 70 and he still stayed 5-6 car lengths behind me. Then he infuriated those behind him to push and tail me. Sometimes you just gotta give up or you will have a road rage incident on your hands.
    However this works 9 out of 10 times on the Ron Mexico scale of educating left laners. They finally catch the hint that slower traffic should keep right. If not keep repeating process until they do.

I've been on the autbahn several times. I love it!! If you drive slow in the fast lane on that thing you'd probably get arrested. What has happened to the autobahn?? Did a bunch of Ohio drivers make their way to Germany and break the whole thing??

EDIT: I misread your post. I thought you were saying something had happened to the autobahn that would make my head explode.
    All good.

Actually, it's exactly as Paul described it. They simply know how to drive over there. That is a good thing, given the general average speeds they can hit once the autobahn signs "release" you into the unrestricted (i.e. no speed limit) zones.

I also love the "hierarchy" that exists over there. Again, to Paul's point, regardless of what you may be driving, if you see a Porsche 911 coming up on you in the left lane, just get over. It will all be over with very quickly. The last time we were over there, we rented a Mercedes E550 (the German equivalent; produces a little over 400-Horsepower). We did just fine, but still knew when to slide right.
    X A V I E R