Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Unfortunately a subscriber only article.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Unfortunately a subscriber only article.
    Try accessing it through the posted copy of the tweet. It worked for me.

I figured out how to get to the article, through Twitter directly. 2 things I took from the article…

1) they need 20 million to build a stadium as they have no desire to do football without their own stadium

2) Xavier enrollment is down 1100 since 2019….considering that they have about 5500 in current enrollment, that’s a BIG drop % wise.

I think it would be neat if Xavier had football, as it was an integral part of the social scene during my years living on campus.

But with declining enrollments nationwide, especially in small private schools, I would much prefer we continue the focus and support of basketball.

(Caveat; would change my mind if a few large donors could fund the majority of dollars needed)
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Is the goal just to draw 100 male students (who would come to be on the football team) that otherwise would not have attended? Or is there some sort of feeling that just having a football team to go watch would draw more students?

The number would probably really be less than 100 because I am guessing there is at least some guys who either are currently at Xavier or who were coming anyway that were not recruited but would "walk on" to be end of roster guys.

I don't think it will draw other students but drawing 75-90 new students at Xavier's tuition costs who would not have otherwise come, they may feel is worth it.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Can’t read the article, but no scholarships will mean we would be picking from the bottom of the talent pool.

I don’t see why we would pursue this. If it detracts from Bball in any way, I’m against it. But of course I’ll watch!

There is no honestly good reason for the school to spend money on this, with so many other worthwhile needs very much in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I figured out how to get to the article, through Twitter directly. 2 things I took from the article…

1) they need 20 million to build a stadium as they have no desire to do football without their own stadium

2) Xavier enrollment is down 1100 since 2019….considering that they have about 5500 in current enrollment, that’s a BIG drop % wise.
    What is the administration's plan to up enrollment, or is this the "new normal" for X? Would like to see the new president's comments/strategies. Is the Board OK with such a drastic drop in enrollment?

Supporting Member
    Here’s a crazy idea. Make college more affordable and good financial sense for the average American and stop spending ridiculous amounts of money to lake college campuses look like palaces.

Go 100-200k in debt for 4 years and come out making an average of what now 40-50k a year vs going to a trade school with little debt and be making close to six figures in plumbing, electric etc by the time my buddies get out of college. Yes there are ceilings to those trade positions so maybe they take a few business classes and understand how to run their own business one day.

Colleges need to get a lot smarter about what the actual problem is, and I’ll tell ya it’s not about having a fucking d3 or whatever football team